Allan Saint-Maximin (now playing for Al-Ahli)

Disco

13 minutes ago, HaydnNUFC said:

It was 7 matches he was benched for. Leicester LC, Fulham home, Palace away, both Southampton semi final legs, LC final, Man City away. He returned from injury and was back in full training on the 2nd January.

Just find "if he's so good why's he been on the bench" a bit shortsighted. Howe hasn't got all of his team selections right as seen with him persisting with Wilson ahead of Isak when he looked shot to pieces up to mid-March. And in that time there have been times where ASM should also have been in the team ahead of Almiron in 2023, when he sometimes wasn't.

But I'm talking more about how much Howe fancy him. It seemed that Howe himself prefered the other options, like Joelinton and Isak out wide. I don't think it was all down to injuries and being careful.

4 minutes ago, Chris_R said:

Well it's less than Southampton want for someone who played 2 games last season.

The young and british tax hits hard.[emoji38] But it doesn't seem like Newcastle is willing to pay that amount.

Edited by Erikse

2 minutes ago, TRon said:

Mate this is absolute shite...literally. If you keep them in the house you have to clean their litter trays out every day, and for what? If they are out and about they are happy as Larry doing their stuff in the garden and you don't even have to give it a second thought.

Yes they kill wildlife, that's what they are designed to do. Have you seen those teeth and claws? What do you think those blackbirds do in their spare timeif they aren't pecking worms to death or eating them live?

Tell Tiddles to keep away from NE25 ?

8 minutes ago, TRon said:

Mate this is absolute shite...literally. If you keep them in the house you have to clean their litter trays out every day, and for what? If they are out and about they are happy as Larry doing their stuff in the garden and you don't even have to give it a second thought.

Yes they kill wildlife, that's what they are designed to do. Have you seen those teeth and claws? What do you think those blackbirds do in their spare timeif they aren't pecking worms to death or eating them live?

In the true spirit of this thread I want to see some xG stats on mice killed vs blackbirds maimed vs turds done in raised beds to truly understand whether outdoor cats should be peddled, or not

And is a lazy but sometimes exciting cat better than a hard grafting but less exciting cat.

Edited by bobbydazzla

2 minutes ago, Optimistic Nut said:

Did we play as physically intensive style of football that season compared to last season? We started to press more but nowhere near to the extent we did last year. 

I just think that one season of struggling with injuries is a lot about variance too. I also wouldn't say that his play style in previous seasons was exactly easy on his hamstrings either, tons of sprints and stop-starting.

Guest reefatoon
9 minutes ago, Smal said:

bit gutted about this. Really enjoyed watching ASM in some otherwise dire years.

Harvey Barnes might be a more clinical player but it’s not particularly exciting in the same way ASM was. I also thought Maxi’s general play improved massively last season when we actually got to see it and was looking forward to seeing him more this season. It’s captain obvious stuff but I wish if we were getting rid of ASM it was for a similarly exciting talent like a Kvara or Leao. Those are the kind of talents that make watching football fun.

I see what you are saying, apart from that bit at the end. He hardly played, but man the football last season was so much fun! I’m sure it will carry on :thup:

Edited by reefatoon

15 minutes ago, Groundhog63 said:

I'll answer this in the style of someone I described in that same post 

There's 1.5m cats in the UK. Mostly NOT house cats. They ALL go out every night and kill wildlife. That's over a million Blackbirds, field mice and voles murdered every night of the week. 

Plus they shit in Wor lass's raised beds. 

Feral, disloyal little cunts, they are, and I'm not the only one that thinks that. 

Where's your data?

1 minute ago, Erikse said:

But I'm talking more about how much Howe fancy him. It seemed that Howe himself prefered the other options, like Joelinton and Isak out wide. I don't think it was all down to injuries and being careful.

And it's daft imo if Howe likes Isak out wide, like. But that's another matter. :lol: Basically, it's alright to disagree with some of his team selections.

We changed the way we played a tad after Man City away. Threw caution to the wind a bit after our run of 1 league win in 8 and 3 league goals scored in that time. Took Wilson and Almirón out, brought Isak, ASM and Murphy in. It worked as we scored more goals, were winning more games but became a bit leaky in defence as a result. When ASM was fit, he was in the team; played well v Wolves, iffy at Forest, MOTM v Man Utd and an assist at West Ham. Then got injured again. :lol:

In contrast to 2021-22 where he started 31 matches, he just had an injury laden season, his worst one yet AFAIK. 

4 minutes ago, Chris_R said:

Awesome, so we agree there's more factors than "minutes played" to consider.

Just checking.

Why does asking price matter? Not long ago Maddison was not going unless Leicester got atleast £60 mill.

It's about what other clubs are willing to pay.

Edited by Erikse

11 minutes ago, mikejaxer said:

Is it? They're going to walk the league like they usually do.

Yeah, maybe. If so, still interested to see who steps into Gundogan, Mahrez and Silva's shoes.

4 minutes ago, Erikse said:

Why does asking price matter? Not long ago Maddison was not going unless Leicester got atleast £60 mill.

It's about what other clubs are willing to pay.

Well neither ASM or Livramento have been sold yet, so that's all we can talk about? :lol:

Plus reports say there's been a bid of that for ASM, and that we've upped our bid to £30m for Livramento.

Edited by Chris_R

He's been a good servant for us, I'd probably describe him as a big fish in a small pond and one of our only hopes to becoming a flash in a pan player in a bigger pond that now (potentially) no longer needs him.

Exciting, entertaining, unplayable on his day. His day just doesn’t come often enough. Now we need steady 7+ers (out of 10) on am every game basis. Consolidation of last season with a top 6 finish would be great I think with an option to change systems but maintain control.

Edited by Heron

Just now, Chris_R said:

Well neither ASM or Livramento have been sold yet, so that's all we can talk about? :lol:

Well, yeah. They may all be rumours, but there's a difference between "asking price" and reports of what a player is probably going to end up being sold for

Just now, Erikse said:

Well, yeah. They may all be rumours, but there's a difference between "asking price" and reports of what a player is probably going to end up being sold for

As per my edit, there's reports we've bid £30m for Livramento. Same as the reports on the fee for ASM. Or do we believe one lot of reports but not another? Seems arbitrary.

20 minutes ago, Smal said:

bit gutted about this. Really enjoyed watching ASM in some otherwise dire years.

Harvey Barnes might be a more clinical player but it’s not particularly exciting in the same way ASM was. I also thought Maxi’s general play improved massively last season when we actually got to see it and was looking forward to seeing him more this season. It’s captain obvious stuff but I wish if we were getting rid of ASM it was for a similarly exciting talent like a Kvara or Leao. Those are the kind of talents that make watching football fun.

Largely agree with this, but I think we have overestimated ASM’s talent. When things are dire there is a natural tendency to cling onto flashy players (ASM, Ben Arfa) that disrupt the doldrums. But they’re not that good. They’re great compared to what we had, but nothing compared to what competitive clubs are used to seeing.

A lot of people are shocked to how little we’re getting for ASM. I am as well.  But on reflection, I think that we are overestimating his value and contributions because he was all we had to hang onto when we were watching Bruce Ball. 

Goals are exciting. Harvey Barnes scores goals.

Edited by gazza ladra

32 minutes ago, Kid Icarus said:

Nah, not a chance. Ginola was scapegoated for one incident vs Bulgaria, he was still a player at the top of the French league signed by us when we were near the top of the league to try and win the league. He was no more flawed or mercurial than Cantona.

Top of the French league when PSG  weren't the force they are now. So much so we could by their better players. He cam with a reputation for being lazy and unwilling to work despite being fantastic when he had the ball.

Head says he should go:

- doesn’t really fit Howe’s setup

- frees up FFP dollar for more investment

- his output (goals/assists) isn’t sufficient 

- we can’t be carrying any injury prone players when fighting on multiple fronts next season

- we wouldn’t be interested in signing him if he played for any other club

Heart would love to see him stay:

- Would love to see him win something with us

- great option off the bench

- players like him are why I watch football

2 minutes ago, madras said:

Top of the French league when PSG  weren't the force they are now. So much so we could by their better players. He cam with a reputation for being lazy and unwilling to work despite being fantastic when he had the ball.

And for the most part he that’s what he was. Beresford made up for a lot of his defensive inadequacies.