Allan Saint-Maximin (now playing for Al-Ahli)

Disco

7 minutes ago, et tu brute said:

Bloke wants to look at himself. He's got the talent, but just seems like another Ben Arfa in terms of attitude. Personally I think it's got to the stage where he's offloaded. This with his injury record makes it a no brainer, again imo. 

Please explain what his messages mean if you have encrypted them? And how they relate to this bad attitude?

I think him adapting his game has lost his unpredictability and explosiveness somehow, although the second might've just been due to him being semi-crocked for the majority of last season. Under previous managers his first thought seemed to be to turn and run at goal, beat a fullback or get to the byline. I feel a lot of the times now he'll cut back and go for the safer option or beat a man and then lay it off. Certainly more beneficial for the team but I do wish he still had those moments like Everton (H) in Howe's first season where he was almost unplayable that night or the City (H) game at the start of last season. 

Might well have just been down to him never being fully fit last season though. I guess we'll see this season, if he does stay. 

Key summer for him - 2 years and ticking to go on his contract. Not shoving him out of the door but the longer it goes without a contract extension the more likely it is that he leaves. Decision needs to be made in the next few weeks, keep him or flip him?

Happy to keep him fwiw, I like him, he's entertaining and gives a shit about the club. On the other hand he's probably worth a few quid (in this window) but his value will only go south from here on in if nothing happens. He doesn't feel like a 'unit player' to me though, he's more individual talent. Tonali strikes me as a perfect unit player who can drop into the team and function immediately every game, ASM isn't that type of player imo. 

1 hour ago, et tu brute said:

Bloke wants to look at himself. He's got the talent, but just seems like another Ben Arfa in terms of attitude. Personally I think it's got to the stage where he's offloaded. This with his injury record makes it a no brainer, again imo. 

:dowie:

The lad clearly has worked on his game to fit into the new NUFC.  It’s a shame he’s so injury prone.

But if I ask the question - ‘would Eddie Howe buy ASM if he was playing elsewhere?’ - I would guess that the answer would be a massive ‘no’.  So I still think there’s a good chance he goes to free up funds. 

56 minutes ago, hakka said:

What's he done to deserve the bad attitude label?

I think last year he was unlucky with injuries, but he still contributed and looked great at times. He tore City/Kyle Walker a new one in the home game. His volley against Wolves was unreal. I don't want to lose anyone with quality just yet, but if next season is injury plagued like the last one I'd then believe moving him on maybe best for everyone.

Rotation and more games with a better squad could lead to much better season for ASM.

No one is questioning his talent and yes he does create some games/moments of magic. However over a season there are just not enough of these for a team/club aiming for the very top. With his talent he should be dominating games on a regular basis, his work rate is questionable to say the least and I know of a few times when he has turned up late for training. His injury record has not been great since he's been here either not just last year. Obviously a few disagree and that's their opinion, which they are fully entitled to. 

Why people want this guy out the door so bad irks me a bit. His injury record isn't great, yes. However, maxi has clearly listened to Howe and has been remarkably unselfish compared to the maxi of old, this has obviously seen a huge decline in goalscoring opportunities for himself but he has generally created plenty of chances for others when on the pitch. 

He's worth another season, if it's injury plagued well maybe then it's time to move on. There's lot of games this season and there's no point selling him if there's nobody lined up to replace him right now 

He actually should watch Almiron’s movement after he passes the ball but obviously look at other wide forwards who lay off and run into space. If he added that to his game, he would get in behind more of than not and wreak havoc. 

1 hour ago, Newcastle4lyf said:

Don’t know a lot about this guy but from what I have seen/heard/read I think he could be a useful squad member at least while we’re building the squad. Let’s get better players in before we let go of him

Newcastle4lyf and don't know much about ASM :lol:

1 hour ago, Newcastle4lyf said:

Don’t know a lot about this guy but from what I have seen/heard/read I think he could be a useful squad member at least while we’re building the squad. Let’s get better players in before we let go of him

Its fine if you are new to supporting the club. Welcome! He is frustrating. Always injured. Someone who was basically the only reason I watched the matches a few seasons ago. He's extremely talented and on his day he is unmarkable. One of the only players who has skinned Kyle Walker. His commitment has been questionable at times. He seems to want to dribble a player over and over again. Doesnt always do a good job getting back and helping out the fullback behind him. Mind you its Dan Burn who he has to cover most times and he's a LB that does require quite a bit of help and offers very little going forward.

With all that being said...hes made some strides in the past season. He has really worked hard in his limited appearances at the end of the season. I dont think we can replace him for the price we are likely to get for him. He is very well suited to CL football. 

Personally I'd be pretty gutted if we sold him. I'd like us to give him a chance this season to show his adjustments in mentality, work rate and hopefully he can stay injury free.

16 hours ago, BoSelecta said:

‘Work in silence, they will know soon’.

For anyone wondering what he’s just posted. 

That could just mean he's working really hard and will let his football do the talking this season tbh.

We will have dangerous people all over the pitch soon who can hurt other teams and they won't triple mark him anymore. He will thrive on that.

He's actually been very dangerous for us, just our players don't put their chances away. He could be on 10 assists last season! 

5 minutes ago, Lish007 said:

We will have dangerous people all over the pitch soon who can hurt other teams and they won't triple mark him anymore. He will thrive on that.

He's actually been very dangerous for us, just our players don't put their chances away. He could be on 10 assists last season! 

It's scary watching his highlights, just player after player blazing easy chances over the bar :lol:

18 hours ago, hakka said:

What's he done to deserve the bad attitude label?

I think last year he was unlucky with injuries, but he still contributed and looked great at times. He tore City/Kyle Walker a new one in the home game. His volley against Wolves was unreal. I don't want to lose anyone with quality just yet, but if next season is injury plagued like the last one I'd then believe moving him on maybe best for everyone.

Rotation and more games with a better squad could lead to much better season for ASM.

25 appearances - 1 goal and no assists, didn’t contribute that much in my opinion.

13 minutes ago, Gawalls said:

25 appearances - 1 goal and no assists, didn’t contribute that much in my opinion.

Well that's bullshit about the assists. He got 5. Plus his "appearances" in mins on the pitch terms for the PL were equivalent to 12.38 full games. He has done better in previous years, it's not like last season was his first go in the PL. We know he can do better, and with less injuries and more game time I'm sure he would.

Edited by hakka

Also worth pointing out his xAG was 4.6 in the PL last year, that's the 3rd highest expected assists. That's his highest amount in last 4 years for us. Given he was often not starting, you have to look at this contribution on a "mins on the pitch" basis to fairly judge him. He was on the pitch for less than half of the time in the season before, still got the same amount of assists but scored 4 less.

He was ranked 3rd for xAG and 3rd for Goals & Assists per 90 mins on the pitch. Not bad really considering the lad was in and out of the side from injury.

xAG.thumb.jpg.076618b7acc7179f714a91774ae51968.jpg

GA.thumb.jpg.3453289834ba2d05b51b1105c97bace2.jpg