Allan Saint-Maximin (now playing for Al-Ahli)

Disco

It looks like to move forward with our targets we have to sell, there isn’t some other lovely alternative.  The only player worth any money who is in the saleable bracket for decent money is St Max. Beyond that you’re looking at Bruno, Botman, Isak. 

Will always appreciate his efforts in the darker days, the one shining light. I feel its a good time to move him on especially if its close to the 40m mark. Barnes will be brilliant for us especially under Howe and will fit the system with our other creative players.

Edited by adamjk007

2 minutes ago, Kid Icarus said:

Ironically all players who are only seen as having actual output in hindsight. At the time they were playing they had the very same 'no end product' criticisms thrown at them that ASM's getting now.

As keeps getting mentioned, last season ASM was in the top 4 centile for assists per 90. That's actual output. He's in the top 4 centile for expected assists, that should be actual output if the players he's put it on a plate for could finish.

This is something that irks me a lot. In hindsight EVERYONE loved Ginola, Asprilla, Robert and HBA. Maybe it’s me getting old and senile but I seem to remember a hell of a lot of posters on here (and earlier iterations of the forum) that lambasted the latest two something rotten. 

He was class but found it hard to attach myself to him because I detached myself from the club under Bruce. I still followed us and hoped we'd win but switched off mainly, and he was pretty much the only spark we had.

I've used the comparison before, Barnes for Maxi seems similar to Robert for Ginola, except we haven't had to wait 4 years for the Ginola replacement this time. 

Edited by Optimistic Nut

Love Maxi but probably the best for all involved.  FFP is clearly an issue for the club. 

He's not worth 50m to an Eddie Howe team but could well be to a less pressing team in a weaker league with a PFM type manager. He could be very useful to them. 

3 minutes ago, Displayname said:

They sure arent pointless when people are saying that he doesnt have any output.

I think the only valid criticism of him is his injury record and that he maybe doesnt fit Howes playstyle 

He could play one game and get a hat trick and 5 assists then be injured the rest of the season. His per minutes output would be incredible. For the minutes he’s played, he’d be unreal. But for the past few seasons, he simply doesn’t play the minutes required, either through injury or effort. Hence stats per min are pointless. 

3 minutes ago, TRon said:

I don't know how you can say that tbh, fine if you think I'm exaggerating, but to say he doesn't play anything like that...well I don't know what it is you're watching.

He doesn’t. You don't need stats to see that he's one of the most successful dribblers in the league, but if you did use stats you'd see he's number 1. You don't need stats to see that it's very rare that his dribbles don't result in a completed pass to a team mate, often in the penalty area, but if you did use stats you can see they back that up. Likewise assists and expected assists, so I've no idea where this idea he plays more like Adama Traore comes from, but it's nothing like the player I see. 

Just now, clintdempsey said:

This is something that irks me a lot. In hindsight EVERYONE loved Ginola, Asprilla, Robert and HBA. Maybe it’s me getting old and senile but I seem to remember a hell of a lot of posters on here (and earlier iterations of the forum) that lambasted the latest two something rotten. 

All four of them got pelters including Ginola, but this is just my personal opinion, I think they all had better end product than Maxi. In some ways he's even more explosive and exciting, but all of them could hit the ball with more accuracy IMO.

6 minutes ago, toontownman said:

Going to be fun and games when he rejects the Saudi advances again. Hope this happens quick and avoids drama and antics from the ASM camp.

What are you on about. We just want this put to bed for both parties. It became boring a long time ago.

Once he and his family see the contract that will set him up for life, he won’t think twice about signing. 

Time to move on. The club are, and now should some of the fans, who are stuck in the past, clinging on to a player who isn’t anywhere near elite, and injured for large amount of time. Absolute no brainer to sell. 

12 minutes ago, KDT said:

All these other ‘mercurial’ talents that people go on about us having in recent years, Robert, Ben Arfa, Ginola, Asprilla all had 1 thing that ASM doesn’t and that’s actual output. 

Ginola for us in his two seasons had 19 goals and assists in 5195 minutes. Works out at 1 goal involvement every 273 minutes. ASM has 30 goals and assists over 8067 minutes, works out 1 goal involvement per 268 minutes. 

11 minutes ago, Displayname said:

Didnt ASM have one of the highest expected assists per minutes played this season? 

To be fair Newcastle fans are known for having the most unrealistic expectations. Take it with a grain of salt.

On a bit of a time delay over her in Chicago so bit disappointed waking up to what has probably been the inevitable due to FFP. Knew the other day Barnes has all but bought a house outside of Morpeth so it had already started to sink in he was likely on his way. 

If it been. KK at Napoli for ASM then I’d be on board no hesitation. HB to me just seems like a left side Miggy. He’s not a door opener or someone who can dribble past players. Guessing we are banking on him pinging in a few from long range perhaps.

Anyway trust the process and if it is actually what EH wants then trust in Howe. Just have a funny feeling he’d liked to of had both.

2 minutes ago, Viana said:

If Twitter is right and it basically opens up three decent deals (circa 40m) we have to do it. 

Twitter could just be copying what I said on the forum a couple of days ago to be fair

7 minutes ago, christ said:

“Expected assists”.

Modern football needs nuking from orbit.

What if you want to see whether a player would be a more effective assister with better finishers around them? It's absolutely relevant like, Willock's high up in this stat as well and we all saw it was a weakness in the player who most often missed those big chances (Longstaff)

2 minutes ago, Kid Icarus said:

He doesn’t. You don't need stats to see that he's one of the most successful dribblers in the league, but if you did use stats you'd see he's number 1. You don't need stats to see that it's very rare that his dribbles don't result in a completed pass to a team mate, often in the penalty area, but if you did use stats you can see they back that up. Likewise assists and expected assists, so I've no idea where this idea he plays more like Adama Traore comes from, but it's nothing like the player I see. 

See I think even when he's completed those successful dribbles, by the time he's got the ball to his team mate, all the defenders have regrouped because he's gone off at a tangent trying to complete the extra dribble. The stats aren't going to show that, but you can see it happening as the move unfolds.

2 minutes ago, Manxst said:

He could play one game and get a hat trick and 5 assists then be injured the rest of the season. His per minutes output would be incredible. For the minutes he’s played, he’d be unreal. But for the past few seasons, he simply doesn’t play the minutes required, either through injury or effort. Hence stats per min are pointless. 

Like i said, criticism of his injuiry record is fine. 

1 minute ago, Optimistic Nut said:

If we can get the £40m and sell Manquillo, then get Barnes and Livramento we've played a blinder like. 

I think for no apparent reason we get at least 3 more through the door that strengthen the squad!

(Maxi proceeds, sales plus loans are my apparent reasons) [emoji38]

7 minutes ago, clintdempsey said:

100%

I’d be pushing for 50M, he’s 26 years old,  contracted and is a bit of a one off. Don’t think anyone could argue at 50M as being unreasonable/ dodgy. Surely a player is worth what a buying side is willing to pay? Look what we paid for Wood.

1 minute ago, TRon said:

See I think even when he's completed those successful dribbles, by the time he's got the ball to his team mate, all the defenders have regrouped because he's gone off at a tangent trying to complete the extra dribble. The stats aren't going to show that, but you can see it happening as the move unfolds.

I don't think anything shows that tbh, but you're right in that the stats show the opposite