Allan Saint-Maximin (now playing for Al-Ahli)

Disco

1 minute ago, RobsonsWonderland said:

Preferred him under Bruce

Nail on head. Why? Because he was the best player, in a terrible group of players.

Guess what, the landscape has changed. New ownership, new players and new expectations.

These supporters of him are harking on about those days, but they are long behind us now. He’s gone from our best player, to an injury prone, fringe player. Time to move on. Thankfully, the club have, and are shifting him on. Appreciate what he did, but we move on, and for the better. 

Just not fit often enough and I don't see that changing.

Due to that he's a luxury we can't afford to just keep around for when he's available as the squad needs more people as it is, especially considering what we could potentially get for him and the impact it would have on our ability to get more players in.

For those who are ASM critics and I am one of those, I don’t think any of us don’t appreciate that he was a major part of us staying in this division for three years.

we are going to have to sell to progress and he is the best balance between providing money and not losing a great player.

Could be Bruno or Isak next season going to have to get used to it.

part of our problem is I don’t think we have sold a key player and improved the squad with the funds since 1996.

2 minutes ago, Toon88 said:

Nail on head. Why? Because he was the best player, in a terrible group of players.

Guess what, the landscape has changed. New ownership, new players and new expectations.

These supporters of him are harking on about those days, but they are long behind us now. He’s gone from our best player, to an injury prone, fringe player. Time to move on. Thankfully, the club have, and are shifting him on. Appreciate what he did, but we move on, and for the better. 

If he goes…

1 minute ago, James said:

For those who are ASM critics and I am one of those, I don’t think any of us don’t appreciate that he was a major part of us staying in this division for three years.

we are going to have to sell to progress and he is the best balance between providing money and not losing a great player.

Could be Bruno or Isak next season going to have to get used to it.

part of our problem is I don’t think we have sold a key player and improved the squad with the funds since 1996.

Barton, Nolan out Cabaye and Ba in not count?

I do think swapping ASM for Barnes makes a lot of sense, and out of all the players that could leave this summer as a sacrificial lamb it was always going to be ASM. 

He's a really good player, he has that maverick dynamism that makes you sit on the edge of your seat, and can change the game in an instance, however there are two problems with him, the first is injury, he's only been around for half the time in the last few years and with us having more and more games we need players who are as guaranteed as being fit as possible, the second is that under Howe he's having to play a more structured game, and it has never really felt like it's fit, and his effectiveness has been becoming less and less as time has went on, he doesn't do the defensive work, and he always felt isolated in attack, a point that became clear in the Nottingham Forest away game where he got subbed off at half time for Anderson and in the second half we look more effective and cohesive overall with a player who attacks in a more more rigid and structured way. 

I'll be sad to see him go, as he's a player that can give you a thrill every 10 minutes when he's on it, and can change a game in an instance, however I must also admit he's a player that can leave you frustrated more often then not, and that out of all of our better players, he's probably the one I care for the least, and with FFP lurking in the background and Barnes being more suited to the way we currently set up, I can 100% understand this move.

Edited by 54

1 minute ago, Ghandis Flip-Flop said:

Barton, Nolan out Cabaye and Ba in not count?

no because Ashley had banked a large amount of transfer profit in those 12 months and only reinvested a fraction

1 hour ago, Gallowgate Toon said:

If Isak stays fit, which is a risk in itself, then he brings the alternative skillset we lack against certain sides. 

While I think it's the right time to sell him, I feel sad that he's off to Saudi in his prime. He could be doing his thing in Europe for a while yet.

From a purely selfish point of view the Saudi spree allows you to get Premier League money without having to sell to another team in England. 

I think it’s the right time to sell him but would of found it hard to see him play for another Prem side.

32 minutes ago, Kid Icarus said:

Of course, but whatever reasons they have for being okay with getting rid of him don't need to be the same as yours.

Well my reasons aren't really relevant, I'm sure they know what they are doing, I just trust them to make the right decisions.

14 minutes ago, Dokko said:

Has to be something special to replace him or little point on the field. Guess this is a financial decision more than anything else. Such a shame. The one Bright spark under Bruce. 

He had very little to do with us finishing 4th!

Obviously it would kick up a stink and won't happen, but hypothetically, is there any rule actually stopping PIF signing him for £500m to completely obliterate FFP, if they wanted to?

Just now, pedro111 said:

Gutted to see him go, reckon he could have tore it up in the Champions League next season. Hopefully get Barnes and another top level player with the money. I trust Howe and the club. Bye Maxi.

For all I agree with the decision to sell if it means bringing in a couple of really big hitter replacements, I do think he could have made an impact in the Champions League where the game is a lot more tactical, and you need a bit of maverick to unlock defences. But it depends what sort of transfers this deal allows us to do. You have to look at the bigger picture from the club's POV.

4 minutes ago, TRon said:

Well my reasons aren't really relevant, I'm sure they know what they are doing, I just trust them to make the right decisions.

Yeah, I'm just disagreeing with you on a part of ASM's game, it has nothing to do with my trust in Howe at all.

Just now, Kid Icarus said:

Yeah, I'm just disagreeing with you on a part of ASM's game, it has nothing to do with my trust in Howe at all.

Fair enough mate, everyone is entitled to see the game how they see it.

2 minutes ago, reefatoon said:

I would be over the moon with a right sided Miggy. We need to have a player to hit double figures from that position, which we now look like getting.

Probably should’ve clarified or referenced my much earlier post. When I was comparing him with Miggy it was his one footed-ness and lack of dribbling ability leading to all his goals looking very similar. Doesn’t have the work rate or pace of Miggy but then not many wide players do. He looks more dangerous from distance so there is that to look forward to. I love Miggy but I would never want nor should the team ever need two in the same team.

I’ll expand on this. I see too many fans using stats in general but especially to criticise ASM.

What stats don’t show is for Miggy and from early viewing of Barnes for them to create or score then already certain passes and moves etc need to be executed to almost precision on a regular basis. One-Twos or player movements allowing them to cut in and shoot etc. So if that is happening then all is good and their numbers will follow.

My issue is that ASM is the player who can create and score when the team is not functioning and players having off days due to individual skill and unpredictability. Keep feeding him and he will more than likely create havoc and at very least win corners and FKs. Which I thought was what we were looking for in the summer.

When he didn’t play last season I could see the balance and well oiled machine but quite often it was snuffed out when a team came for a point. When he did play I watched him create things out the blue when needed but unfortunately quite a few of them fell to Wood. Where’s the stats for that 🤷🏼‍♂️ 

I also think his fitness issues have been overstated. 

Anyway farewell sweet Prince 👋🏻 

I'll be absolutely gutted if he is sold. Its such a pity, because we really need to emulate the City model having two top players in every position, but, unfortunately now, it's not possible, keeping ASM and aquireing Barnes would have been miles better, I'd even have fucked Miggy off and started playing ASM on the right, with Barnes on the left.

I was the same when Andy Cole was sold, the same when Les went to Spurs, heartbreaking when Ginola was also sold, but Kenny decimated that team.

You can see why anyone would be attached and fond of ASM he bought joy in a terrible period.

If we can get 40m FFP tokens, which can kick-start our recruitment, we've done well.

ASM didn't contribute a whole lot last year, Barnes will be an able replacement and hopefully it gives us wriggle room for a couple more.

Just now, STM said:

If we can get 40m FFP tokens, which can kick-start our recruitment, we've done well.

ASM didn't contribute a whole lot last year, Barnes will be an able replacement and hopefully it gives us wriggle room for a couple more.

We should be looking at neves money

Would he even be a good squad member?

Initial thoughts is he'd be a super sub, with all his pace and trickery.

Then I remember the discussion last season was that it takes him a few games to get upto speed and he's someone that needs to start to be his best.

Goodbye Maxi!

Not jumping for joy at the news but it's seemed inevitable that he'd be sold on this summer. I've loved watching him at times and I'll miss him but the deal that's apparently on the table for him is too good to turn down, anything north of £40m for him is excellent money and I know he'll be replaced and other areas strengthened. Selling under Ashley meant uncertainty about replacing the outgoing player (Colback for Cabaye etc) but him going means more can be spent. FFP is a bitch but there's always a solution. In this case moving ASM on is the obvious move to make and I'll back the squad to be better as a result of the deal. 

43 minutes ago, AyeDubbleYoo said:

But surely if that easy to spread the cost of transfers, we can afford them anyway? 

The issue is that our current spending power within FFP is based on the past seasons' profits/losses, we might well be near the point where even with transfer fees being amortised over 5 years we couldn't afford the proportion of the amortised fee that would count towards this season, even if we will be able to afford that in the future based on our increased income.

Edited by Jackie Broon