Allan Saint-Maximin (now playing for Al-Ahli)

Disco

We've obviously not taken the piss with the fee, but it doesn't feel too bad to me. He started 12 PL games last season, 13 more as a sub, so completely missed 13 PL matches. Started 2 of the 8 cup games (and 4 more subs), so he only started 14 of the 46 games. 1 goal and 5 assists - very talented, but being a year older and getting to the stage now where after 3 or so years at a new club, there wouldn't be too much resale value, his stock is definitely lower than what it was this time a year ago, so we couldn't really expect any more than £35-40m at the absolute most.

Apart from maybe Almiron at a push, he's the only one of our squad that we could afford to lose and command a reasonable fee, there really is no one else - we'd struggle to get £15m for Targett these days, Murphy similar, and you wouldn't want to lose any of the 15/16 core players that we have, so while it's a shame to see him go, I'm OK with the fee / transfer. Just hope we can get two more defenders in within the next week or two.

4 minutes ago, Paullow said:

We've obviously not taken the piss with the fee, but it doesn't feel too bad to me. He started 12 PL games last season, 13 more as a sub, so completely missed 13 PL matches. Started 2 of the 8 cup games (and 4 more subs), so he only started 14 of the 46 games. 1 goal and 5 assists - very talented, but being a year older and getting to the stage now where after 3 or so years at a new club, there wouldn't be too much resale value, his stock is definitely lower than what it was this time a year ago, so we couldn't really expect any more than £35-40m at the absolute most.

Apart from maybe Almiron at a push, he's the only one of our squad that we could afford to lose and command a reasonable fee, there really is no one else - we'd struggle to get £15m for Targett these days, Murphy similar, and you wouldn't want to lose any of the 15/16 core players that we have, so while it's a shame to see him go, I'm OK with the fee / transfer. Just hope we can get two more defenders in within the next week or two.

Common sense - I love it

I'd have personally been disappointed if we'd paid over £30m for someone who was injured for c.15 games, 3 times out of the last 4 seasons. So not really bothered about the fee. 

All the best ASM and thanks for the memories!

Unpopular post but I don’t see maxi’s career developing upwards from this point in time. I’ve seen many a player leave NUFC over the years and I have to say I’m not bothered with this one much, Harvey will be an upgrade, just got to be patient with him.

4 hours ago, Abacus said:

Not sure what you mean by this?

FFP has nothing to do with paying in installments. Unless you mean it's £23m with performance related add ons?

Well 23m in the bank up front for us could buy 2 or 3 40/50m players if we did the usual route of spreading payments.

1 minute ago, gjohnson said:

Well 23m in the bank up front for us could buy 2 or 3 40/50m players if we did the usual route of spreading payments.

I think we need a FFP sticky post somewhere.

For selling players the profit is recorded in one sum for that year regardless of when you get paid.

For buying players the fee is spread out over the number of years of the contract regardless of when you pay the fee. 

If we gave Milan nowt upfront or the full £50m for Tonali it's still recorded as £10m over 5 years for example. 

Guest reefatoon
3 hours ago, LV said:

Feels about right to me 

Have to agree. It’s a good price for a squad player who doesn’t get much game time.

2 hours ago, Hhtoon said:

I'd have personally been disappointed if we'd paid over £30m for someone who was injured for c.15 games, 3 times out of the last 4 seasons. So not really bothered about the fee. 

All the best ASM and thanks for the memories!

2 hours ago, black_n_white said:

Unpopular post but I don’t see maxi’s career developing upwards from this point in time. I’ve seen many a player leave NUFC over the years and I have to say I’m not bothered with this one much, Harvey will be an upgrade, just got to be patient with him.

Yep and yep.  Both great points for me. 

6 hours ago, Paullow said:

All fair points about his injuries, but Fabinho just had a very poor season showing visible decline and is going for £40m at 29 years old. Yes, he was once a top level player with medals to show for it, but his stock is now far lower and I can't see any other interest in him this summer. 

I thought Barnes for ASM would make financial sense based on the structure of the two deals and them being similar fees, but if reports are correct, it's a net £15m loss. If we're doing it for a quick transfer kitty boost based on amortisation of the Barnes fee, then we're borrowing against out future windows and that's a very short term fix which will catch up with us and affect us in every window. Considering the pressing needs in other areas of the squad, this one makes less sense now IF these reported fees are true.