Allan Saint-Maximin (now playing for Al-Ahli)

Disco

6 minutes ago, rebelrouser said:

That really seems like a bargain. Would love to get someone in of that quality for that price. Surprised no French clubs moved in. Have to admit, I really don't understand the Gordon/Barnes/Saint-Maximin business, but that's why i'm not a sporting director.

Because the French teams wouldn’t be able to give him the wages they are.

Obviously played a huge part in this club surviving in the PL, and therefore a part in this club in 2023 competing in the Champions League. 

Gutted about where he has gone, he’ll make great money but a man of his talent should be competing in far better leagues. Fuck FFP. 

Gutted when I understood he’d be moved on. Even more gutted after that tweet (and that joke of a transfer sum). ASM is the kind of player that made me fall in love with football and it feels awful that he won’t be here for the good times. He seemed a genuine bloke who understood us as a club and supporters. A gem. Fucking FFP. 

Edited by clintdempsey

I completely understand why he is being sold and yet I do hate to lose a true *character*. They are rarer and rarer in these days of milquetoast footballers, he was different, he was a brilliant guy off the pitch and truly seemed to fall in love with the club, the fans, and the area. There is always more to the story and I'm sure it wasn't all perfect in the changing room, but from a fan's perspective, what a beautiful footballer and there's no doubt he will be missed. 

Lots of players have left clubs they've been at for decades and haven't put together a goodbye like his. Special guy.

8 minutes ago, Memphis said:

I completely understand why he is being sold and yet I do hate to lose a true *character*. They are rarer and rarer in these days of milquetoast footballers, he was different, he was a brilliant guy off the pitch and truly seemed to fall in love with the club, the fans, and the area. There is always more to the story and I'm sure it wasn't all perfect in the changing room, but from a fan's perspective, what a beautiful footballer and there's no doubt he will be missed. 

Lots of players have left clubs they've been at for decades and haven't put together a goodbye like his. Special guy.

Well said.

2 hours ago, clintdempsey said:

Gutted when I understood he’d be moved on. Even more gutted after that tweet (and that joke of a transfer sum). ASM is the kind of player that made me fall in love with football and it feels awful that he won’t be here for the good times. He seemed a genuine bloke who understood us as a club and supporters. A gem. Fucking FFP. 

I agree with all of this, but chances are without FFP he would have been out of the door even sooner

2 minutes ago, Pata said:

Why's that?

Probably that FFP has limited our spending and made the turnover of players slower? Same could be said for half our team. All ifs, buts and maybes, though.

Edited by BlazeT44

2 minutes ago, BlazeT44 said:

Probably that FFP has limited our spending and made the turnover of players slower? Same could be said for half our team. All ifs, buts and maybes, though.

I don't see it like that, think he would've been one of the last of the old players to go in that scenario.

Just now, Pata said:

I don't see it like that, think he would've been one of the last of the old players to go in that scenario.

Nor do I, FWIW :lol: but understand the line of thinking and why people would make the claim.

I just don't think he's an Eddie Howe type player (i.e skillset on AND off the ball), or at least, in the system he wants us to play.

Without wanting to restart the ASM/Barnes debate it was quite telling in the ground last night how excited both home/away/neutral fans got excited when Mitoma got the ball. That little buzz of excitement you probably don’t get when just watching on TV. Quite sad we had that with ASM and could have showcased it in USA.

Understand the reasons for the sale and didn’t ever feel like a fit for an Eddie Howe team but still sad to see him go. Loved him. Fully embraced the region and was one of those players I love to watch, you can sense the expectation and electricity around the ground when he has the ball, always had people on the edge of their seats, wish him all the best and hope he flourishes.

He’s always had a very, very good team running his socials. They were active (and relatively humorous) when he was our main man, and had the sense to be a bit less active as he was going through more difficult times.

That’s not to say this ‘goodbye’ message is insincere or anything, but it’s still worth realising he hasn’t knocked this up himself.

On the topic of social media its worth noting the amount of times either him or his team have taken a shit on the mackems every time they have had the nerve to talk crap, in the funniest of manners. That doesn't go unnoticed with me considering he has never actually played them.

I have supported this club since the mid 2000s and can honestly count on one hand the players that have left which have truly had a impact on me in terms of how sad I felt once they left. He is high on that list because I truly felt not only is he such a personality (as mentioned previously) but he is something special on his day and you never really know the ins and outs why certain players have such God-like levels on their day but then don't maintain that - they are human after all and as a fan you never factor genuine things that a player cannot control or are out of their hands. You as a punter and a fan and a stakeholder in the club usually only factor matchday performances. There is an appreciation for a player like that compared to the regularly available average Andy, at least for me.

He gave us excitement at by far and away the most soulless and dead period this club has gone through in decades. Injury prone or otherwise, purple patch player or otherwise, I wish him all the very best and cannot underestimate how he made me feel about matchdays and my club (especially with how therapeutic and packed with escapism weekends and football can be in a world packed with depression inducing factors that are increasing by the day). Love you Maxi!

Edited by Amir_9

5 minutes ago, Gazzaschicken said:

Don't understand the fee he's only 26 feel like we could have got £40m for him. His wages weren't that high as well. Seems a strange move

From who? It's pretty obvious we have been looking to move him on. It's not like we were drowning in offers for him.