Allan Saint-Maximin (now playing for Al-Ahli)

Disco

Guest Biggsbond14
13 minutes ago, Mr Raspberry Jam said:

No. He's a lot better than Ketsbaia.

So why is he so rubbish as a team player? 

sick of him not doing the basics right, like passing to a teammate for example instead of trying to take on another defender and losing the ball

id bench him against leeds and play fraser left, miggy right - cant be any worse and at least our left back would have someone like fraser running is arse off to get back and help

The guy is totally frustrating but he’s also our only player that can create something from nothing. In a team with almost zero attacking flair and creativity it would be madness to bench/drop him.

As an opposing manager I would be happy if he wasn’t included. 

5 minutes ago, ManDoon said:

He scored the only goal that nearly won us the game? wild to think of dropping him,

But wasted possession or lost possession countless other times allowing Watford to continuously counter attack and put us in danger.

16 minutes ago, Mahoneyâs tache said:

Ketsbaia 78 apps, 8 goals. 
st Max 71 app, 11 goals. 
pretty similar return. 

14 goals for HBA as well in 86 apps. I wouldn't say he was another Ketsbaia either regardless of the stats.

Both ASM & HBA were/are exceptionally talented footballers who were managed by dinosaurs during their time at NUFC.

Guest neesy111

He was poor minus the goal on Saturday but you don't drop him at all with our current squad.

Now if we were to have genuine options, then having him as an option from the bench might be good at times.

Edited by neesy111

Just now, Mr Raspberry Jam said:

14 goals for HBA as well in 86 apps. I wouldn't say he was another Ketsbaia either regardless of the stats.

Both ASM & HBA were/are exceptionally talented footballers who were managed by dinosaurs during their time at NUFC.

Sorry like, but ASM shouldn't be mentioned in the same breath as Hatem.

Cant believe people are even suggesting dropping him, he's probably the only player in the squad who can create something out of nothing. He's far from perfect and wouldn't be against replacing him in the long term but not at the minute. Who we gonna play instead or him anyways? Murphy or Almiron?

Edited by WillingtonMag

1 minute ago, WillingtonMag said:

Cant believe people are even suggesting dropping him, he's probably the only player in the squad who can create something out of nothing. He's far from perfect and wouldn't be against replacing him in the long term but not at the minute. Who we gonna play instead or him anyways? Murphy or Almiron?

I think if we weren't in a relegation fight and in a position of comfort he'd most likely be taken out of the XI. 

We're most likely sticking with him as he can produce something out of nothing, even when having a poor game - like he did at the weekend. And as you were getting at, the alternatives are shit.

Hmm. Think he looks poor a lot of the time because teams know we have literally no other outlet and can just double or even treble up on him. His end product is very hit and miss but he's capable of creating chances out of nothing, which we're completely reliant on at the moment. I'd be very hesitant to drop him, and that's not even taking into account how dire the alternative options are.

As it stands he's our best and almost only hope of creating anything. Fraser actually had a decent game the other day but that just meant he kept the ball when he had it generally and flung in a few crosses. There was nothing particularly threatening about it. 

I think we have to play him. He'd look better with a full back in the same postcode and other options around him but its rarely the case. He offers a geniune threat and teams are terrified of him.

The obvious complaint is that he should not be dribbling near the halfway line. We saw what that does against West Ham, and it was our biggest scare in the first half on Saturday.

2 minutes ago, triggs said:

As it stands he's our best and almost only hope of creating anything. Fraser actually had a decent game the other day but that just meant he kept the ball when he had it generally and flung in a few crosses. There was nothing particularly threatening about it. 

Fraser has lost a yard of pace massively from when he was at Bournemouth it looks like to me and he was never a beat a man with a trick type player. 

I know XG will say it was a hard chance, but Longstaff for example should at least be testing the keeper with the one ASM set him up with in the first half. There's another one in the second half where he breaks in behind them and no one's bothered to try get in the box. He's a scapegoat right now, simple as. If he doesn't win us every game people just complain.

5 minutes ago, Stottie said:

I think we have to play him. He'd look better with a full back in the same postcode and other options around him but its rarely the case. He offers a geniune threat and teams are terrified of him.

The obvious complaint is that he should not be dribbling near the halfway line. We saw what that does against West Ham, and it was our biggest scare in the first half on Saturday.

I do think it's also notable just on your first point about full backs being terrified that neither of the right backs Watford had got forward much while he was on the pitch but then Femenia put the cross in for the goal basically straight away after he went off.

Any time we have any sort of player with immense mercurial talent, going back to Ginola (and possibly beyond) there's a weird subsection of our support that insists they don't work hard enough and should be bombed out in favour of someone who'll track back a bit. Spent far too much of my youth arguing with boring arseholes who wanted Laurent Robert binned off in favour of a mythical player who would definitely get as many goals and assists but also work like a dog at all times and be easily affordable for Newcastle United.

In conclusion, yes we should definitely bench our best player and rely on Ryan Fraser instead. FFS.

I don’t get why people insist in football you are either one or another with opinions.

You either want ASM carried around SJP on a throne or ostracised to the U23s.

You either thought the takeover definitely would happen, or it never will in a million years.

You either support Howe or want him sacked after 10 games.

There is the ability to sort of be in the middle.

ASM is our most creative player and the only one at times who looks like making something happen.

But he also has a number of significant flaws that are often to the detriment to the team.

He’ll either win us the game or contribute so poorly that he’s a big part of the reason why we don’t win.

I think he’s brilliant but I’m also incredibly annoyed watching him run down dead ends or lose the ball on the halfway line, ignoring a team mate in space, leading to an opposition chance.

For every moment of magic, there is also a moment where he prevents us from getting a chance or concedes possession to the opposition. That can be very dangerous for a team fighting relegation.

Personally I think he needs to be managed better and our team set up in a way that will benefit him rather than hinder him and us as a collective.

Should sign Blas or Cantwell if the rumours are true. We so desperately need an option outside ASM, and through the middle and on the other flank. Will also free up more space for ASM.