Allan Saint-Maximin (now playing for Al-Ahli)

Disco

The more that's expected of him, the worse he gets, he's trying to take on 2, 3 or 4 defenders on his own, no one is showing for options and no one (now Wilson is out) is as good as him at getting it in the back of the net. 

Relieve some of the expectation from him and I think we'll see the old ASM that every other clubs supporter wants in their team.

3 minutes ago, Mattoon said:

The more that's expected of him, the worse he gets, he's trying to take on 2, 3 or 4 defenders on his own, no one is showing for options and no one (now Wilson is out) is as good as him at getting it in the back of the net. 

Relieve some of the expectation from him and I think we'll see the old ASM that every other clubs supporter wants in their team.

I don’t think that’s the case at all. I’ve seen plenty of times recently where he’s ignored perfectly good options around him, including Trippier today.

Edited by Optimistic Nut

Do other supporters really want him?  I mean people who actually watch and understand football, not daft kids on Twitter who’ve never actually been to a football match but love watching videos of ‘flair’ players doing step-overs to shite Eurodance.

He flatters to deceive - there’s a reason he’s at NUFC, and clubs weren’t lined up kicking Ashley’s door down to buy him. 

1 hour ago, Oregon_Geordie said:

I think 3 assists in 19 is pretty dreadful for guy that has the ball most of the time and often on the edge of the opponents box. Maybe I expect a little more.

I think he's a show pony who is out for himself and not the team. I actually think for every one piece of magic, there are 99 pieces of zero!

Opinions though I guess. I'd swap him for Origi and play Murphy and Fraser on the wings.

Let me be clear. I would keep him, if he decides he wants to work hard and improve and most importantly play for the team This is Newcastle United, not a fucking one man circus. He needs to shape up and realise he's as bad as the rest.

He's been mainly dreadful most the season and an absolute nightmare to play with I'm sure.

8 minutes ago, Optimistic Nut said:

I don’t think that’s the case at all. I’ve seen plenty of times recently where he’s ignored perfectly good options around him, including Trippier today.

Just thinking out loud but maybe he just doesn't trust some of the options he has and maybe that's a habit he needs to change when he has better players around him.

Or maybe he's just short sighted and his football brain doesn't match his natural ability on the ball.

1 hour ago, triggs said:

You can say he was shit today without overreacting to a player playing out of position who is generally our best player when played in his correct position 

Doesn't matter what his best position is, he still ends up dribbling backwards and forwards, going across the box and shooting. Sometimes he just needs to release the ball and move into a strike position himself. 

Even being asked to play in a different position shouldn't be as difficult as he seemed to make it today. He's been in the game long enough to know that if he's been specifically told to play the role of a striker for the day then he should be making a better fist of it than he did today. He knows what strikers do, where they play, where and how they move and his attempt at filling that role today were pretty pathetic tbph. I know he's not a striker and it's definitely not his forte but he was basically ignoring his instructions, ignoring his new role for the day and drifting out leaving him in the position of trying to put in a cross to an empty box. 

The CM today also need to have a word with themselves too btw. They should have spotted the potential to get on the end of something but either didn't fancy it or weren't capable. The whole thing was a fucking shitshow. 

ASM is a strange one. As Ive said before I dont think Howe has quite figured out how to use him yet.

In one sense its great that ASM has the confidence and self belief to take on players and try and make things happen. But as said elsewhere, he needs to release the ball earlier instead of working the ball into final third and creating space for a shot.

Maybe Howe could tell him that he can't have any more than 5 touches.

3 minutes ago, Armchair Pundit said:

Think he's looked shit for a while, probably thinks he's bigger than the club and should be allowed to train/come and go as he pleases, hence he's now acting up under a manager who expects higher standards. At least that's what it looks like, another sulky Frenchman.

Maybe he liked that. Being bigger than the club. Now that things are moving as a club I think he’ll be left behind. The attention is no longer all about him and as we add more players that will continue.

5 minutes ago, Optimistic Nut said:

Maybe he liked that. Being bigger than the club. Now that things are moving as a club I think he’ll be left behind. The attention is no longer all about him and as we add more players that will continue.

I agree in parts but he also seems like a genuinely nice guy. I think his problem is that  he thinks he’s better than he is and he doesn’t think too highly of his teammates’ abilities.

Which leads him to trying to do it all on his own and ultimately achieving nothing.

Having him lose the ball after doing 40 stepovers and pirouettes while ignoring his team mates in better positions is criminal. 

If he was scoring every game or singlehandedly winning it, fair enough. But he’s not. One moment of magic every five games or so is not good enough to mask his obvious limitations.

Said it countless times but football is a team game for a reason. When you’re in the shit it’s even more important to play as a team.

Man Utd are having the same issue right now with Ronaldo, an individual playing for himself rather than the team.

1 hour ago, triggs said:

You can say he was shit today without overreacting to a player playing out of position who is generally our best player when played in his correct position 

Some hilariously bad takes. 

Players like him though… was always going to happen at some stage. Results don’t improve and there’s a fair chance it won’t be long before he’s being booed by the crowd.

There is some serious fucking drivel on here tonight. Maxi had a poor game today but he's been performing well since Howe has come in.

When we have a striker who can hold the ball up and allow him to play off he's great to watch. People used to say Ginola held onto the ball too long, at times he probably did but you just need to accept that if you want players like him in the team.

2 minutes ago, Disco said:

Some hilariously bad takes. 

Players like him though… was always going to happen at some stage. Results don’t improve and there’s a fair chance it won’t be long before he’s being booed by the crowd.

There was quite a bit negativity everytime he had the ball today. 

Hear Alan Hansen and "percentages" when I watch ASM. Got to think that's why he's here via St Etienne.

Like Le-Tissier - the chance of winning games versus the chance of being a liability needs weighed up.

There's nobody we could leave him out for so its a moot point for us but he's more flatter to decieve than performer.

9 minutes ago, mofo said:

There is some serious fucking drivel on here tonight. Maxi had a poor game today but he's been performing well since Howe has come in.

When we have a striker who can hold the ball up and allow him to play off he's great to watch. People used to say Ginola held onto the ball too long, at times he probably did but you just need to accept that if you want players like him in the team.

Know what you mean but chalk and cheese end product - Ginola was a supply machine and at worst at least capable of being a supply machine.

Actually the best example I can think of is Mirandinha. Hope it doesn't have the same end result.

Edited by Wolfcastle

Did a relatively good job ploughing a lone furrow up front against Liverpool and was good against Manure, was shite today and very frustrating to watch.

Does drag the whole team down when he plays like today but is also the only one in squad who is capable of creating something from nothing which creates a bit of a conundrum. Still no getting away from fact he's been consistently worse since Bruce left and some questions remain about his ability to function to same level when part of a wider coherent system rather than as focal point for any and all attacks.

36 minutes ago, Optimistic Nut said:

Imagine shitting on your best player because, you've imagined he thinks he's bigger than the club, and also because eventually like 6/7 years down the line we might have a side like Man City, so he'll be irrelevant. 

Ginola used to be a bit like that, Shearer used to hate him at times, because all Shearer cared about was goals, and it being about Shearer, Ginola didn't always cross to him, and he got pissed, believe they had a barny once, I still think Ginola is amazing, and did more memorable moments than things you'd forget. ASM is a special player, granted his contribution in goals isn't brilliant, he could give the ball in better situations, but he's the player I'll remember always over others just like Ginola, HBA, and all those that make us feel good. 

With the right players around him, ASM would be even better, blame the shite around him pal

👍🏻

Edited by mighty__mag

2 hours ago, xLiaaamx said:

Think the reaction is a bit ott. Not sure why he's the one who all the ire is at.

Because it goes without saying about all the other players, who everyone knows aren't up to it.

Mighty-Mag, think what it was was teams playing differently against Ginola in that second season and later in 95/96  - first few months were a bombardment of crosses for Ferdinand from both flanks. Didn't fire the same service in at Spurs either - even when winning player of the year.

Edited by Wolfcastle

32 minutes ago, mofo said:

He’s got 2 goals and 0 assists since Howe came in. He was actually better under Bruce, both on the eye and statistically with 2 goals and 3 assists.

He’s gone off injured more times than he’s contributed to goals and assists under Howe.