Allan Saint-Maximin (now playing for Al-Ahli)

Disco

1 minute ago, Kid Icarus said:

The thing that I don't get is that imo he's clearly started passing it more, particularly to Targett on the overlap or to whoever's running through the middle, yet it's coincided with more people claiming he plays for himself.

He didn’t seem to want to pass yesterday.  His decision making was poor. I’ve only seen him play in the flesh once though but the lad next to me said he’s been poor for a couple of months now. 
Playing against the best team in the world will show every weakness, but the Liverpool defence coped with him without breaking sweat. 

To add to the above, he's at his most effective when he isolates the full back. While in time, adding other facets to his game could make him more effective, the lack of threat across the forward line means that sides are happy to stick multiple men on him.

For me his final shot or pass has been poor since he returned from injury and that's what's forming people's opinions of him, which is fair enough.

I don't think much else about his game has gotten worse though, in fact it's got better in some areas. If he can sort his end product out, people will miraculously start saying he's a a world beater again imo.

3 minutes ago, Kid Icarus said:

For me his final shot or pass has been poor since he returned from injury and that's what's forming people's opinions of him, which is fair enough.

I don't think much else about his game has gotten worse though, in fact it's got better in some areas. If he can sort his end product out, people will miraculously start saying he's a a world beater again imo.

Most of the people wanting rid are also the same people piling on Wood every game, despite his painfully obvious limitations.

Under Bruce he was the one person who could make something happen or at least make the game worth watching. As we were just a collection of players a maverick like him stood out and produced the few moments worth seeing.

Now the team is a much more cohesive unit the same things make him stand out for the wrong reasons. We’re so much improved across the pitch that his lack of ball retention and end product is a lot more glaring. 

1 hour ago, tgarve said:

I don’t do ifs, buts or maybes I do absolutes. If ASM doesn't score in all the big games then he isn't world class but he does so he is see what I’m saying?

Not really, nar. 

31 minutes ago, Kid Icarus said:

The thing that I don't get is that imo he's clearly started passing it more, particularly to Targett on the overlap or to whoever's running through the middle, yet it's coincided with more people claiming he plays for himself.

It's not so mich that he doesn't pass as that he doesn't make the right decisions for me. With and without the ball. Should have played to Krafth on the overlap running into the box yesterday being one example. 

19 minutes ago, Kid Icarus said:

There's nowt miraculous about that though is there. It's standard crack...

21 minutes ago, The Prophet said:

Most of the people wanting rid are also the same people piling on Wood every game, despite his painfully obvious limitations.

Think that's a bit of a sweeping generalisation tbh. I have no issue with Wood. He gives it his all and keeps it simple because he's aware of his abilities (or lack of). There are times when ASMs attitude don't seem quite right/what we currently need and despite him being a very intelligent person and talented footballer he could be so much better if he applied a different attitude or made better decisions, both of which he is absolutely capable of.

He's a likeable lad, a talented footballer and an undeniable threat, but we aren't getting the maximum out of Maximin. 

Edited by Heron

Just now, Heron said:

It's not so mich that he doesn't pass as that he doesn't make the right decisions for me. With and without the ball. Should have played to Krafth on the overlap running into the box yesterday being one example. 

I agree he definitely still needs to improve like, but that's fine imo because he already is improving. There were times earlier in the season where he'd always ignore Targett on the overlap or not play that first time pass to Joelinton against Wolves and I'd be tearing my hair out, he's improved and will hopefully continue to improve.

His shooting especially at the moment is bizarre though, he keeps seeming to scuff shots at 3mph with his instep, if he could sort that out it would cover for his sons while he's improving.

Just now, Kid Icarus said:

I agree he definitely still needs to improve like, but that's fine imo because he already is improving. There were times earlier in the season where he'd always ignore Targett on the overlap or not play that first time pass to Joelinton against Wolves and I'd be tearing my hair out, he's improved and will hopefully continue to improve.

His shooting especially at the moment is bizarre though, he keeps seeming to scuff shots at 3mph with his instep, if he could sort that out it would cover for his sons while he's improving.

Ironically, I think it's a confidence thing. He's snatching at them (shots) and not composing himself. 

5 minutes ago, Heron said:

There's nowt miraculous about that though is there. It's standard crack...

Aw aye it's standard crack for opinions to go for one pole to the other like that. I'm just saying that it's fine margins and not something to give up on.

Howe is obviously trying to change his game for the betterment of the team and it’s coincided with him being in poor form. Not much is happening for him at the moment and it can be frustrating - you can see even he is frustrated - but he’ll be fine next season.

15 minutes ago, Smal said:

Howe is obviously trying to change his game for the betterment of the team and it’s coincided with him being in poor form. Not much is happening for him at the moment and it can be frustrating - you can see even he is frustrated - but he’ll be fine next season.

You cannot be so certain.

18 minutes ago, Groundhog63 said:

Zaha scored his 13th of the season, from 33 apps, yesterday. ASM needs to stare at an oxyacetylene flame for a while till his eyes bulge like Wilfred's and go again.

People compare ASM to Zaha but the level of output is on another level. 

Saw a couple of people mention he’s been sulking and out of form since Bruce left but that’s not exactly true is it? He played arguably his best ever game for us v Everton under Howe. He has also been poor/average  for the last 4-5 games. 

Why is there never balance when judging players like this? 

He gets double and tripled up on by the more savvy teams and that obviously nullifies him. 

They wouldn’t be able to do that if we had another similar threat on the opposite wing or up front. We just don’t have that yet so St Maximin gets the full attention.

I think we need to cut him some more slack until we upgrade the team a bit more. 

He could do with cutting out the throwing up his arms and having a paddy stuff though. Not a good look. :lol:

9 minutes ago, St1pe said:

Saw a couple of people mention he’s been sulking and out of form since Bruce left but that’s not exactly true is it? He played arguably his best ever game for us v Everton under Howe. He has also been poor/average  for the last 4-5 games. 

Why is there never balance when judging players like this? 

Contradicting yourself a bit here.

Agree on the Everton game but whilst he may not be sulking  his body language doesn't exactly suggest he's particularly happy...

7 minutes ago, LV said:

He gets double and tripled up on by the more savvy teams and that obviously nullifies him. 

They wouldn’t be able to do that if we had another similar threat on the opposite wing or up front. We just don’t have that yet so St Maximin gets the full attention.

I think we need to cut him some more slack until we upgrade the team a bit more. 

He could do with cutting out the throwing up his arms and having a paddy stuff though. Not a good look. :lol:

Yep. Isn't good for team mates either.

53 minutes ago, Kid Icarus said:

I was saying this yesterday, he’s always leaning and falling backwards when he takes a shot as well (Actually scored like that vs Man United).

He's a fantastic player who is in poor form.

I actually think he'll get sold after next season regardless of performance, if he has a good season he'll go for 50-75m.

We need to be selling correctly and he'll be a good asset to capitalise on.