Allan Saint-Maximin (now playing for Al-Ahli)

Disco

I don't imagine the players will appreciate him saying that. There will be a good bit of "banter" coming his way at the training ground I'm sure. He's lucky that there will be a fairly sizeable change in players come the summer months and those comments will get forgotten soon enough but it wasn't a smart thing to say.

28 minutes ago, Mazzy said:

I don't imagine the players will appreciate him saying that. There will be a good bit of "banter" coming his way at the training ground I'm sure. He's lucky that there will be a fairly sizeable change in players come the summer months and those comments will get forgotten soon enough but it wasn't a smart thing to say.

On reflection, this will come as no surprise to Howe and the squad. I think they've been dealing with this kind of attitude for some time now. Howe will assess the state of play and decide whether this latest statement changes anything. 

Ultimately, the guy has made himself look stupid. 

One thing you don’t want to do in a team sport is slag your teammates off like. I reckon he’s just feeling a bit insecure as he’s not had a good run of form for a few months now and he just wants to find something external to blame

He’ll be gone. Howe won’t have that. Proof of the pudding as they say, he’s all show. Bruno stole his limelight, he’s not a team player. We’ll replace him I’m sure. If not this window, then next year.

Edited by PauloGeordio

Very weird chat from a bloke who's only recent assist came because he misplaced a pass at Norwich that happened to find its way through Joe.

I do like ASM, and think it's right he gets more leeway than other members of the team in certain areas (pressing for example), but drama stuff like this that threatens the harmony of the squad is exactly the sort of stuff Howe won't want. Like others have said, I don't think any team that could afford to put a daft bid in for him will want or need him, but if someone stupid like Villa did I'd be very tempted to cash in this summer. 

11 hours ago, 80 said:

I keep hearing talk about big money for him. I imagine we'd do well to get £25m for him, forget £50m as some have said.

It's difficult to know what he's worth? We paid around £25 million for Willock so you would think we'd get more for ASM but then I can't think of any teams who would pay over that amount?

Probably the best solution would be to exchange ASM for another player. 

9 minutes ago, Rich said:

Anyone remember the good old days where we'd have one of these from Robert seemingly every month? Lost in translation, monsieur.

We did? I can only remember him starting talk about a potential exit towards the end under Souness when he wasn't getting any game time. Nothing about him talking down his own team mates.

I do find it ironic that these comments come at a time when the team is performing more efficiently over these past six months than the rest of his time at the club and when he was getting all the plaudits.

I said after Watford at home that his patchy performances were worth living with because we don't have much else going forward. But with (hopefully) higher calibre reinforcements arriving this summer, I think next season is his make or break. Where we find out if he thrives with those better players, or if he is more suited to being the big fish in a little pond where he's relied upon as the saviour. I'll readily admit that I'm heavily expecting the latter.

Edited by wormy

2 minutes ago, Conjo said:

We did? I can only remember him starting talk about a potential exit towards the end under Souness when he wasn't getting any game time. Nothing about him talking down his own team mates.

We did.

1 minute ago, Shearergol said:

Robert backed it up by being simply marvellous in everything he did.

I feel like we look back at Robert with rose tinted specs on. Don't get me wrong, he had more of an end product (certainly in terms of assists) than ASM does, but he would go missing for long stretches. 

Just now, sushimonster85 said:

I feel like we look back at Robert with rose tinted specs on. Don't get me wrong, he had more of an end product (certainly in terms of assists) than ASM does, but he would go missing for long stretches. 

I'm having none of that. I refuse to accept it. :nope:

10 minutes ago, Rich said:

We did.

"How did the match go for you? 
I didn't get too many balls. The players still have trouble finding me on the pitch but that will improve with time. The necessary routines will develop. Anyway, at the end of the match I was exhausted. I had played 90 minutes last Saturday and last night I was on the pitch for 120 minutes. Towards the end my legs were a bit heavy.... Still I made the decisive pass for the second goal."

"You have in any case a terrific attack. You put 4 goals past Middlesbrough last week and 4 more this weekend past the big Premiership favourite. Where does Newcastle's danger come from?
The problem is that we can score at any time but concede goals just the same. We've picked up quite a few since the start of the season and I hope the arrival of Sylvain Distin will stabilise the defence."

"How do you explain the problems in the defence?
As I already told you, the Newcastle team is comprised of young players who are still lacking experience in defence. To start with, in order to stop conceding goals they have to be meaner. I'm not criticising them, I'm just saying this for the benefit of the team."

"One would assume that Bobby Robson is trying to sort out the gaps in the defence. How is he going about it?
Truth is, I don't know too much about it. As he talks real fast I understand not everything he says (laughs). It's not easy to catch it all. But I know that this morning, he was yelling. He made them move quite a bit because he doesn't think it's normal that teams who allegedly are weaker than us should play without meeting any resistance."

"Seeing as you were watching from the stands, how did you judge this particular Newcastle team?
As usual, the play was very much on the right side of the pitch, and I could see many openings on the left. We really should change the system of play so
that we can exploit both sides of the pitch. I will talk to Bobby Robson about it to see what he has to say."

(Can't be arsed to do any more, but these were all from his first few months with us: https://www.nufc.com/html/robert-1.html.)

I don't think ASM's comments are a big deal, basically, but will wait to see the full interview just to see the full context.

Guest reefatoon
3 minutes ago, The Prophet said:

But if he's hounded out, who will we turn on then? Do we just double down on Wood?

Nobody is hounding him out. Though with stupid comments like he said, he might be trying to hound himself out.

16 minutes ago, Rich said:

We did.

The closest I could find was this extract from Dyers book:

image.thumb.png.9ccc85f02c0f5fd0956e42f8e6b037b6.png

Not putting himself above the team like ASM have done, and he was right as well, as opposed to ASM.

Other than that it was the post-match incident with that journalist and a warning that he may have to leave if he doesn't get more game time. 

Any particular examples? Feel like it should be easy to find by googling it but haven't been able to find anything myself except a rumour with no direct quotes about him lashing out at team mates for not passing to him while on loan at Portsmouth.

Edit: Didn't see your follow up before posting this. Fair enough, although I don't think either of those quotes are as bad as the one ASM has seemingly made.

Edited by Conjo

2 minutes ago, reefatoon said:

Nobody is hounding him out. Though with stupid comments like he said, he might be trying to hound himself out.

Plenty of fans have had the hump with him for months. If the comments sound as bad in context, he should be disciplined internally and we move on.

His comments are indefensible and he should apologise and probably be dropped for them but, to the people who say he doesn’t create chances for people to convert… well, he does:

image.thumb.png.6bfe2c94901d8d06c67d01498ca5d9be.png

Edited by Smal