Allan Saint-Maximin (now playing for Al-Ahli)

Disco

Solid back tracking from Maxi there, the team and manager will know he meant it.. if it was just an issue of context then what’s the need for a team meeting about it. 

1 hour ago, HUGZ said:

I will say, in Maxi's defence, journalists are often complete shits about chopping and changing an interviewee's answers to create a story. It would be interesting to hear the audio of the interview and see how it matches up with the published transcript.

That said, I have seen him say things not a million miles away from this in a previous lengthy French interview, so I'm guessing there's no smoke without fire.

2 hours ago, STM said:

You wouldn't sell Maxi for less than 40m. Fuck knows who would buy him at that price though.

Would you buy him for £40m? Is there no player in the world that you could buy for £35m that you would rather have..? Considering that's Bruno money. Those are ultimately the kind of questions to ask...

Bearing in mind Trippier and Targett between them would cost little more than £25m... Like with most things right now, I'm happy to back whatever Howe and the club think is the right choice.

1 minute ago, 80 said:

Bearing in mind Trippier and Targett between them would cost little more than £25m... Like with most things right now, I'm happy to back whatever Howe and the club think is the right choice.

Eh?

Targett will be ~£20m including loan fee 

Trippier will be ~£25m now that we are staying up.

Just now, Conjo said:

Eh?

Targett will be ~£20m including loan fee 

Trippier will be ~£25m now that we are staying up.

Who says?

Just now, 80 said:

Who says?

Most reports on the transfers. It was Widely reported that fee for Trippier would rise to around double the initial fee if we stay up. We paid around £5m loan fee for Targett with option to buy for another £15m.

As far as I know, Trippier was widely reported as being £10-15m and Targett's deal would be £15m, with no mention made of any loan fees and whether the fee was figured into the deal or separate.

Edited by 80

3 minutes ago, Conjo said:

Most reports on the transfers. It was Widely reported that fee for Trippier would rise to around double the initial fee if we stay up. We paid around £5m loan fee for Targett with option to buy for another £15m.

Haven't seen that widely reported but fair enough if true.

I find it hard to believe Atletico would halve the amount of money they would make on the sale due to our own fuck up in getting relegated though... But that's up to them, I suppose...

Edited by 80

In the beginning all the links were "Trippier to Newcastle for £25m", then when the deal was announced it was reported as a structured deal for an initial £12m fee with various incentives including a "substantial fee" if we managed to retain our PL status, up to "close to double the initial fee".

Either way, similarly to the Wood deal no matter what the correct value is. it's been worth it. I just don't think we were in a position to get these great deals when being loaded with money and in a desperate position. Not exactly the best bargaining position to be in :lol:

3 minutes ago, Conjo said:

In the beginning all the links were "Trippier to Newcastle for £25m", then when the deal was announced it was reported as a structured deal for an initial £12m fee with various incentives including a "substantial fee" if we managed to retain our PL status, up to "close to double the initial fee".

Either way, similarly to the Wood deal no matter what the correct value is. it's been worth it. I just don't think we were in a position to get these great deals when being loaded with money and in a desperate position. Not exactly the best bargaining position to be in :lol:

Oh sure, I found the Trippier deal amazing. No complaints if it is £25m ultimately. Would rather have him than Digne!

Going back to my original point, if I had to I still think I'd swap Maxi for Trippier even if the latter was 'only' worth £25m. Because it looks like he will contribute so much both on and off the pitch.

The £25m-£50m bracket people are putting Saint Maximin in can buy a LOT of player.

7 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

Nobody is buying ASM for more than 35m.

I don't know mind.

He's the sort of player Gerrard or Lampard might fall for.

I do like Maxi, if he's prepared to fight for his place in the team, like everyone else.

3 hours ago, Nine said:

Solid back tracking from Maxi there, the team and manager will know he meant it.. if it was just an issue of context then what’s the need for a team meeting about it. 

Agree. Maxi's a wonderful talent, but he's obviously selfish in the way he plays the game, he was already walking a tightrope with Howe if you ask me. The manager's not stupid enough to get rid of a player because of some quote in a French newspaper, but what he says is also reflected on the pitch, he's not a team man. Regardless of this there was always a question mark whether ASM is going to have a long term future here.

Genuinely torn on him. Undoubtedly a player of extraordinary skill but he doesn't seem to match the character of the squad as a whole. Very much seems to be served as a big fish in a smaller pond. I don't know whether or not Howe rates him as a long-term purple but I also don't think we can carry him forward without an improvement in his overall mentality. Seems a good person, so I don't think it's a character issue or anything of the sort, I just don't know if he's truly willing to sacrifice his own game a little for the greater good.

I also have no idea of what his value would be in the market. You could tell me 20m or 50m and I think it's conceivable. 

One of the trickier decisions for Howe this summer imo.

1 hour ago, STM said:

I don't know mind.

He's the sort of player Gerrard or Lampard might fall for.

I do like Maxi, if he's prepared to fight for his place in the team, like everyone else.

If we put him up for sale for 35m now there would be a queue...we need to catch up with current buying and selling prices and not the Ashley ones which were still stuck thinking on 

5 minutes ago, gjohnson said:

If we put him up for sale for 35m now there would be a queue...we need to catch up with current buying and selling prices and not the Ashley ones which were still stuck thinking on 

Out if interest, which clubs would be in that queue?

Everton would have been one, but they are skint. He couldn't play for Wolves and their defensive set up. Moyes wouldn't touch him. Certainly none of the top 5/6.

Would Rodgers try and use him? Possibly. Villa, as I've mentioned.

After that, you are talking about sides who we SHOULD consider inferior and that would kind of prove my point.

If scouts do their homework properly, they will see red flags, right, left and centre.

Again, the guy is unplayable on his day but take someone like Kulusevski for example... doesn't have anywhere near the skills of ASM but he does have brains, heart and end product.

Top clubs are looking for these players, or someone like Jota, who has the quality but also all the other stuff.

ASM is either at the point in his career where he goes on to be an absolute world beater or he's already peaked, I suspect the latter.

So nobody?

I’ve long thought we would do well to get 35m for him. 30 is fair. At 25m I think a queue starts to form as the cost / benefit shifts in favour of the buying club. 

ASM is 2 years younger. But his output is similar to Trossards.  

if ASM is worth 50m, Raphinha is worth 90m.