Allan Saint-Maximin (now playing for Al-Ahli)

Disco

Guest reefatoon
3 minutes ago, The Prophet said:

Plenty of fans have had the hump with him for months. If the comments sound as bad in context, he should be disciplined internally and we move on.

His performances have been duly criticised as he has been consistently poor over that time. If players are not pulling their weight, fans are allowed to criticise. For me he just doesn’t fit into the ethos of what Howe is trying to put together. Players now want to run through brick walls for each other and that shows in the performances and results. That could change if some knacker decided to spout off crap about his colleagues. Especially when it his him letting himself and the team down with his poor displays. He needs to sort his head out and play his game. He potentially has all the talent in the world but is massively restricted by the way he goes on during matches. One tackle and his head is down and that’s him done. Needs to get over that or he will amount to nothing.

Guest reefatoon
6 minutes ago, Smal said:

His comments are indefensible and he should apologise and probably be dropped for them but, to the people who say he doesn’t create chances for people to convert… well, he does:

image.thumb.png.6bfe2c94901d8d06c67d01498ca5d9be.png

How many of those over the last three months though? That’s what people are saying. He doesn’t seem the same player at the moment and I think that’s a mind thing. He needs to get his head right to operate effectively.

15 minutes ago, Smal said:

His comments are indefensible and he should apologise and probably be dropped for them but, to the people who say he doesn’t create chances for people to convert… well, he does:

This list is so suspicious man ... why does it not have any players from the top teams?

No Harry Kane, Son, DeBruyne, TAA, Robertson? Really? Not even one of them?! Very, very dodgy.

20 minutes ago, Smal said:

What is the context of this stat though? By ‘chance’ do they just mean a pass leading to a shot? I find it very hard to believe he’s created 45 clear chances this season like. 

1 minute ago, KaKa said:

This list is so suspicious man ... why does it not have any players from the top teams?

No Harry Kane, Son, DeBruyne, TAA, Robertson? Really? Not even one of them?! Very, very dodgy.

"TheOther14"

Also, ASM talking about not having quality around him as an excuse for his poor output is weak.

Emmanuel Dennis at Watford has 10 goals and 6 assists in his first prem season for goodness sake, and they do not have more quality than us.

I am almost certain that when better players are brought into the team it will even look worse for him, as he will not link with them well enough, because he dwells on the ball too much.

13 minutes ago, reefatoon said:

His performances have been duly criticised as he has been consistently poor over that time. If players are not pulling their weight, fans are allowed to criticise. For me he just doesn’t fit into the ethos of what Howe is trying to put together. Players now want to run through brick walls for each other and that shows in the performances and results. That could change if some knacker decided to spout off crap about his colleagues. Especially when it his him letting himself and the team down with his poor displays. He needs to sort his head out and play his game. He potentially has all the talent in the world but is massively restricted by the way he goes on during matches. One tackle and his head is down and that’s him done. Needs to get over that or he will amount to nothing.

That's fair enough. He's in poor form so he'll inevitably draw criticism. I'd also there are parts of his game that he could him improve, but:

i) the criticism isn't recent and hasn't always been accurate.

ii) people fail to acknowledge how dependant we have been on him as an attacking outlet for over two seasons.

1 minute ago, gbandit said:

It says - the other 14, so I’m guessing it’s just looking at players from outside the top 6

1 minute ago, Jackie Broon said:

"TheOther14"

Ah, okay. I was about to say man.

Would be more interesting to see a full list.

On that other 14 list, the only guy on there that I would expect him to be behind is perhaps Raphina. Don't think him being top of that list is particularly impressive.

Guest reefatoon
1 minute ago, The Prophet said:

That's fair enough. He's in poor form so he'll inevitably draw criticism. I'd also there are parts of his game that he could him improve, but:

i) the criticism isn't recent and hasn't always been accurate.

ii) people fail to acknowledge how dependant we have been on him as an attacking outlet for over two seasons.

agree that he was massively important over the last couple of years and the only shining light in an utterly shit time. For some bizarre reason though, he is the only one player that hasn’t improved since Bruce left, he’s actually been worse. I get the feeling he preferred that easy ride to life that he had under Bruce. 

I feel, although he creates a lot of chances, his final pass rarely sets someone up perfectly. It's just as likely to be slightly behind them, or too far in front of them for the chance to be converted. Even when it's the most simple of passes.

That's as big a problem as the rest of the team's finishing IMO.

Edited by Sean

Just now, Sean said:

I feel, although he creates a lot of chances, his final pass rarely sets someone up perfectly. It's just as likely to be slightly behind them, or too far in front of them for the chance to be converted. 

That's as big a problem as the rest of the team's finishing IMO.

I'm sure this is often over looked with chance creation stats.

So many final balls in general are weighted so poorly. Always find it incredibly annoying.

Weird that even taken out of context his comments are exactly what the majority of this forum have said about him for most of this season yet the majority are fuming he said it. 

He’s right. The timing is awful given his form and it doesn’t fit with the overall ethos the club has created lately but he’s absolutely right. 

I’m sure this happens at all clubs but the determination by some to demonise this guy lately is properly weird. 

If we’re ever going to compete at the top level again we have to be better at dealing with players with egos as a fanbase. Liverpool/City have this ongoing stuff all the time. Or we can go back to having 11 Jack Colbacks. 

He’s going to look a tit this time next season after we’ve signed a top striker and the striker is saying he’s not worried about not matching Haaland’s figures for goals but wait until he’s playing alongside someone who’ll provide the bullets. 

Guest reefatoon

It’s just a shame when everyone is loving the club again, the feel good factor is back and we are on the up, that he has managed to turn it about him. Anyway, that’s enough about it from me, would much rather concentrate on how fucking great we are now and how amazing the summer will be.

Edited by reefatoon

Guest reefatoon
4 minutes ago, St1pe said:

Weird that even taken out of context his comments are exactly what the majority of this forum have said about him for most of this season yet the majority are fuming he said it. 

He’s right. The timing is awful given his form and it doesn’t fit with the overall ethos the club has created lately but he’s absolutely right. 

I’m sure this happens at all clubs but the determination by some to demonise this guy lately is properly weird. 

If we’re ever going to compete at the top level again we have to be better at dealing with players with egos as a fanbase. Liverpool/City have this ongoing stuff all the time. Or we can go back to having 11 Jack Colbacks. 

Sorry, but you don’t come out in public and criticise your team mates no matter how true it look on the outside. You just don’t do it. Go back to 11 Colback’s [emoji38] you are talking shite there mind.

Edited by reefatoon

His FBRef report basically confirms he is good at carrying the ball and creating chances, but poor in nearly all other metrics, such as passing (hardly ever attempts a pass), expected assists (surprisingly seeing as he creates so much), pressures (he's in the 1st percentile), it's just a sea of red. 

Compared to someone like Zaha or Raphina, he lacks so so much it's actually funny:

https://fbref.com/en/players/2b16cb1a/Allan-Saint-Maximin#scout_summary_AM

https://fbref.com/en/players/b2bc3b1f/Wilfried-Zaha

https://fbref.com/en/players/3423f250/Raphael-Dias-Belloli

19 minutes ago, Sifu said:

Bought an online copy of So Foot, will have a read of the full article when I go for lunch.

It's quite a long interview with ASM but I've read the part which brought about his comments.

It got pointed out to ASM that the stats say he's had the most successful dribbles this season of all the top 5 European leagues which hasn't quite equated to assists or goals in his name, ASM basically replied with the comments we know. I sort of get why he's saying it (like a defence mechanism) but as has been pointed out by most on here, he shouldn't be saying it in public.

He shouldn't have said it and I hope he gets a talking to, but I'm not that bothered by it tbh. It's definitely bad timing for him to say that though, when he's been playing pretty poorly recently. If he comes out and says it a year ago the reaction would probably be different.

1 hour ago, St1pe said:

City and Liverpools biggest stars work hard on the pitch.  Or at least don’t make it look like such a chore.