Allan Saint-Maximin (now playing for Al-Ahli)

Disco

4 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

I disagree about ASM.

But I agree it's better we keep it tight early.

I kinda hope Howe tries something new playnig Wilson, ASM, Almiron, Isak. But I reckon he goes tried and trusted, Joelinton/Joe left side.

I dunno man. Trying something new in a cup final doesn’t seem like the right time to me. 

2 hours ago, The College Dropout said:

I disagree about ASM.

I kinda hope Howe tries something new playnig Wilson, ASM, Almiron, Isak. But I reckon he goes tried and trusted, Joelinton/Joe left side.

I think the first 20 minutes is where we can win it tbh. From what Froggy said And definitely from what I saw against Leicester, Man U are there to be got at early on. We tend to start games fast and dominated against Liverpool before the goal. I reckon go for it while we're fresh and they're in theory a bit leggy after Barcelona, and try and get a goal or two early on and give us something to hold on to.

2 hours ago, The College Dropout said:

I disagree about ASM.

Everyone outside of nufc think we r in for a hiding, I do as well , so why not go with above and enjoy it, there'll be plenty more opportunities coming in the future.

1 minute ago, wyn davies said:

Everyone outside of nufc think we r in for a hiding, I do as well , so why not go with above and enjoy it, there'll be plenty more opportunities coming in the future.

It's hard to disagree when we've had so many hidings this season. We can barely keep the ball out of the net. 

4 hours ago, wyn davies said:

Thankfully Eddie and the team won’t be thinking that.

6 hours ago, Optimistic Nut said:

I think the first 20 minutes is where we can win it tbh. From what Froggy said And definitely from what I saw against Leicester, Man U are there to be got at early on. We tend to start games fast and dominated against Liverpool before the goal. I reckon go for it while we're fresh and they're in theory a bit leggy after Barcelona, and try and get a goal or two early on and give us something to hold on to.

I don’t think we can win it in the opening 20 but we can definitely lose it in the opening 20.  

Fair enough, I just feel if we're 1-0 up after 30 mins we'll win, if we haven't scored by then, we won't. Get the early goal and they have to come at us more and more gaps appear on the break. 

If we sit back early on I think it's just a wasted opportunity given they'll have had a late finish on the Thursday and they've started games poorly recently anyway.

Yeah I completely get your point and agree we’ll look to start quick as we always do. Obviously the dream scenario is getting ahead early but if we’re still in the game last 20 we should be all over them. The team selection will be very interesting in that regard as bringing on ASM against tired legs could be the difference. If he starts our bench looks a bit weaker in terms of changing the game.

Let’s see how Howe plays it. I have a feeling it will be big Jo/Willock with Maxi off the bench but would be more than happy with ASM starting. 

I don't think we should sit back. But not conceding in the first 20 minutes of our first cup final in 20+ years is crucial.

Concede once early, we could easily concede 2 because it's such a big game and heads could go. We go 2 down like we did against Liverpool and it's curtains.

The likes of Fernandes, Rashford & Shaw will have played loads of minutes recently.

I’m worried about the balls being played in behind our defence for Rashford and Sancho. That’s why I’d be tempted to play Willock as we need to keep good pressure on the ball to stop the pass being played. We can’t be having a situation like on Saturday when a player like Trent was given all the time in the world to look up and spot a pass

4 minutes ago, andyc35i said:

I’m worried about the balls being played in behind our defence for Rashford and Sancho. That’s why I’d be tempted to play Willock as we need to keep good pressure on the ball to stop the pass being played. We can’t be having a situation like on Saturday when a player like Trent was given all the time in the world to look up and spot a pass

I get the criticism of ASM on that to a degree.  But it is still horrendous defending behind him and I feel like too much is being made out of ASM's contribution (or lack of) for that goal. 

Good ball under little to no pressure or not.  You could have driven a bus through that gap and we have not been like that this season at the back.  Trippier dropped slightly and then started shouting for hand ball and offside.  Instead of just getting on with fully tucking in behind Schar to cover the run.  Schar just seemed a bit blasé about it all and didn't seem to know what was going on.  Both were similar for the second goal. 

4 hours ago, Optimistic Nut said:

Fair enough, I just feel if we're 1-0 up after 30 mins we'll win, if we haven't scored by then, we won't. Get the early goal and they have to come at us more and more gaps appear on the break. 

If we sit back early on I think it's just a wasted opportunity given they'll have had a late finish on the Thursday and they've started games poorly recently anyway.

Agree with this.  Froggy has already mentioned they have been starting slowly the last couple of weeks.  We have been starting games pretty well of late, bar Bournemouth.  Where the whole game was poor from us.  

Not checked the numbers.  But it has seemed like the teams that have played in Europe in the week, have then had a bit of a sluggish start or poor first half in their next game.  Followed by getting it together a bit in the second.  

Sitting back and letting them get up a head of steam wouldn't be ideal, IMO. 

48 minutes ago, andyc35i said:

If we are going to play the high press, then the likes of Schar need to be wide awake to the chance of a counter. He's been great all season, but him and Burn have looked a bit lost at times in the last few weeks. Something's not quite right at the back, it might not even be them individually, could be a collective thing.

46 minutes ago, Lush Vlad said:

I get the criticism of ASM on that to a degree.  But it is still horrendous defending behind him and I feel like too much is being made out of ASM's contribution (or lack of) for that goal. 

Good ball under little to no pressure or not.  You could have driven a bus through that gap and we have not been like that this season at the back.  Trippier dropped slightly and then started shouting for hand ball and offside.  Instead of just getting on with fully tucking in behind Schar to cover the run.  Schar just seemed a bit blasé about it all and didn't seem to know what was going on.  Both were similar for the second goal. 

I take your point and I’d blame Trippier more for both goals. He dropped deep for both goals and then didn’t track the run from Nunez on the first - instead he seemed to be concerned about Robertson out wide when that was never the main threat. 

It’s more important for us atm who plays behind ASM, you know with Burn and Joe on that side we will retain our defensive solidity even without ASM risking his fitness by having to put in a Miggy like shift in terms of ground covered.

Edited by Nine