Allan Saint-Maximin (now playing for Al-Ahli)

Disco

3 hours ago, The College Dropout said:

The key to success for ASM is getting him 1v1 with a defender. To get the best out of him, he needs to play with Targett and Isak. Isak loves to come wide and combine.

It's obviously our best line-up on paper. I really miss Targett at left back, he was brilliant coming forward and getting into dangerous areas, let alone the options from set pieces he gives us. Burns out of form at the moment but he's been part of the team that's got us to the final. Everything about Howe's management screams loyalty so I don't see any scenario where Burn isn't starting.

10 minutes ago, HawK said:

It's obviously our best line-up on paper. I really miss Targett at left back, he was brilliant coming forward and getting into dangerous areas, let alone the options from set pieces he gives us. Burns out of form at the moment but he's been part of the team that's got us to the final. Everything about Howe's management screams loyalty so I don't see any scenario where Burn isn't starting.

I fully expect Burn to start and be number 1 for the foreseeable future even when targett is back.

But as a ASM observation. He needs someone to link up with to create 1v1 situations. Isak is maybe more important to that than Targett.

Infuriating as ever at times, but it's obvious he needs to start.

The criticism of his lack of "support" for Burn is really frustrating tbh. You don't pick a winger to accommodate your full back's weaknesses, you pick a full back to accommodate for your winger's weaknesses.

I've defended Burn at full back, but it's time for MT to come back in with ASM in front of him.  

2 minutes ago, Andy said:

Infuriating as ever at times, but it's obvious he needs to start.

The criticism of his lack of "support" for Burn is really frustrating tbh. You don't pick a winger to accommodate your full back's weaknesses, you pick a full back to accommodate for your winger's weaknesses.

I've defended Burn at full back, but it's time for MT to come back in with ASM in front of him.  

Fair point. I wasn't thrilled with ASM's performance today, but he isn't going to get much support from the left back while Burn is there.

Created our only real chance of the day. As mentioned before, Burn makes it so difficult for him to be effective. So easy to double up on him and take him out of the game, with Burn 40 yards back being completely ignored.

Think we'll see him finish the season strong when targett is up and running again

Bless him. Thought he gave it a lot of effort today and was unlucky. Final product can be questioned like every player but they defended well. 

I would really like to see now we have lost a few games and the team needs freshening up: 

Isak

Maxi

Willock                       Gordon

Joelinton  Bruno

Targett    Botman  Schar   Trippier

Pope

With Wilson, Almiron and Longstaff as alternative options.

2 minutes ago, alexf said:

Bless him. Thought he gave it a lot of effort today and was unlucky. Final product can be questioned like every player but they defended well. 

I would really like to see now we have lost a few games and the team needs freshening up: 

Isak

Maxi

Joelinton  Bruno

Pope

Swap Willock and Maxi

My thought is we should trial givin Maxi the free role like he had against Liverpool to try and cause havoc. But I think the front 4 should all be fluid and pop up in diff positions. Almiron is capable too and sometimes looks dangerous when he drives through the middle. 

Whatever we do we need to freshen up the attack because it's been poor since the world cup. 

Edited by alexf

15 minutes ago, alexf said:

Isak

Maxi

Joelinton  Bruno

Pope

That’s an interesting team actually with longstaff and Murphy on the bench (thought Murphy did ok today when he came on, willing to shoot at least) - and miggy of course

Edited by Gawalls

When maxi starts well it's almost like the whole team tries to get 

4 minutes ago, alexf said:

My thought is we should trial givin Maxi the free role like he had against Liverpool to try and cause havoc. But I think the front 4 should all be fluid and pop up in diff positions. Almiron is capable too and sometimes looks dangerous when he drives through the middle. 

Whatever we do we need to freshen up the attack because it's been poor since the world cup. 

Agreed I it's our predictably that's making it easy for teams to set up against us. We essentially have one formation. Teams seem to let us have the ball in wide positions as they know we will do nothing with it. 

Hes a fantastic dribler but his final ball is more often terrible than its good. Its clumsy and just weird the way he is thinking sometimes. Good when its good but hes not a good passer. Think its a position we need to upgrade if Gordon doesnt nail down the spot.