Allan Saint-Maximin (now playing for Al-Ahli)

Disco

43 minutes ago, HawK said:

Saudi have to be seen to be buying players from everyone else before buying off us to set the precedent that the government isn't just bankrolling us by buying all our less desirables for millions.

The level of investment is insane.

Or they’ve just got two projects on the go and we have No players that attract their interest.  Not everything about Us

2 hours ago, Lish007 said:

Surprised at that.. fooking hell. Mahrez is pretty much in his prime. It just feels like such a waste.

There again I suppose if the Saudi league eventually becomes competitive with good players, it'll be the new PL. 

Mahrez is 32 years old.

It's perfect timing by Man City to let him go now.

1 hour ago, Toon88 said:

It’s clever business by City. We should be learning from it. Ruthless, with an eye always on the future, and, FFP. It’s why ASM must go this summer

Different situations though… we need to build a squad, they’re the treble-winners with absolutely loads of quality options.

I can understand the arguments for selling Maxi but saying he must go this summer is a bit much.  

3 minutes ago, AyeDubbleYoo said:

Perfect time is an interesting concept though. Aye, he’s 32 but he’s also probably playing the best football of his career.

Obvs it doesn’t matter to City since they’ll just buy another world class player whatever. 

I think this is what I thought. It's not as if he's 'past it', he's done very well for city and an important cog but as someone mentioned they are ruthless. Mahrez would do a great job for us on the RW - I'd snap your hands off. Just so much talent they have... Almost impossible to catch.

Almost. 

Edited by Lish007

I’m not sure ruthless is quite the right word. But I know what you mean.

They’re in such a strong position that if a big offer comes in, the player wants to go then they have no reason to make him stay. 

I mean, obviously I don’t know if it was City’s plan to sell Mahrez already, but the KSA interest is a bit different to a conventional transfer situation. 

It seems the perfect move for Maxi like, as much as I love him he's not the elite level he sees himself as in the Premier League. This allows him to play alongside and against "other greats" while building up a crazy highlight reel rinsing Arabian painter decorators.

3 minutes ago, gdm said:

Selling maxi to be able to buy Barnes [emoji38]

Possibly less mad than it seems because of the FFP implications. Agreed that we’re selling a more technically gifted player for a simpler player who will be more of a team player and goal threat. Personally think it makes sense from a business perspective and long term football perspective even though I really like ASM

Just now, gbandit said:

Possibly less mad than it seems because of the FFP implications. Agreed that we’re selling a more technically gifted player for a simpler player who will be more of a team player and goal threat. Personally think it makes sense from a business perspective and long term football perspective even though I really like ASM

Yeah I agree it makes sense from a business perspective. 

As much as I like Maxi, since Howe came in and the team has become more structured he's not been as effective, and at the same time been injured half the time. If you get £40m/£50m for him it'd make a lot of sense imo 

Especially If you then swap him out for someone who has a higher output in front of goal, is more suited to the way we play, is about to come into their prime and you buy for £10m less then selling ASM for.

54 minutes ago, AyeDubbleYoo said:

Perfect time is an interesting concept though. Aye, he’s 32 but he’s also probably playing the best football of his career.

Obvs it doesn’t matter to City since they’ll just buy another world class player whatever. 

The fact he's still playing so well is why it's good timing, because I imagine they'd get a decent fee for him still, which is great for their FFP. Another year or two and his value plummets.

Move him now and they can then just go and get a younger prospect that will be with them more long term.

The dream would be Maxi staying, playing 45+ games across all competitions and integrating fully into Howe's style of play. The other, more likely side of the coin is he's a £40m(?) wildcard who will likely be injured for 1/3 of the season and be chasing fitness for most of the rest. Joelinton, Miggy, Murphy, Isak and possibly Gordon all ahead of him.

Barnes looks about as close to a guaranteed 20+ goal contributions a season in all comps as we could get. 

I don't feel anywhere near the same attachment to Maxi as plenty of others seem to, but I'd still be sad to see him go. Players like him are why people fall in love with the game.

1 minute ago, Rich said:

I don't feel anywhere near the same attachment to Maxi as plenty of others seem to, but I'd still be sad to see him go. Players like him are why people fall in love with the game.

Agree

Problem is, with players like him, you don’t win leagues or cups, and you don’t get to the very top of European football, which is what this new ownership are trying to achieve. 

It’s a pretty simple decision really for the club, and it looks like they’ve made that decision. 

I'd see moving ASM on as a sacrifice rather than a sale. It's not something you necessarily want to do but it makes sense on lots of levels. You lose Maxi but you gain quite a bit of wiggle room with ffp to replace and strengthen other areas. 

Next on the list would be Almiron tbh. 

If we got something in the region of £50m for him (ambitious I know) then you’d have to snatch their hand off. That’s Barnes paid for + we have our own cash free to spend on a v decent left back. No brainer. 

I love Maxi but his game is filled with so many intangibles and not enough actual outlay for his position. Patches of brilliance but clearly doesn’t fit into Howes system as neatly as he’d like him too. Sell him now whilst there’s still a bit of premium value there.

37 minutes ago, Rich said:

I think we'd get an even better version whether it's on the left or right within a year or two. Just think he's the only player we'd be able to sell to be able to bring in a player or two in the meantime. Barnes would get us the numbers so I don't think it'd worsen us. Ashley to thank for this.

Only other option is sell an Isak, Botman or Bruno for £80-100m and fuck that idea. 

38 minutes ago, midds said:

I'd see moving ASM on as a sacrifice rather than a sale. It's not something you necessarily want to do but it makes sense on lots of levels. You lose Maxi but you gain quite a bit of wiggle room with ffp to replace and strengthen other areas. 

Next on the list would be Almiron tbh. 

Miggys age makes him not as saleable. 

Always imagined him getting a game for Atletico Madrid. Paraguay colours etc.