Allan Saint-Maximin (now playing for Al-Ahli)

Disco

Aw man. Love Maxi. Not many players in the world can put the fear of god into elite full-backs like he can, when he’s in full flow. You could see him trying to change his game for Howe too (with noticeable improvements in his decision-making), so it’s not like he hasn’t bought in to what we were trying to do.

Seems to get a lot more stick than previous mercurial wingers who’ve played for us as well. With our crowd, it doesn’t take much for the groans to start, as if everything he did had to be magic. Weird. 

21 minutes ago, STM said:

Barnes the better player, so makes sense.

Disagree but that’s fine and if he is it’s not by much. I’d be on board if we were selling him to fund a Chiesa or partly towards the Napoli boy but selling him just to bring in Barnes is meh to me would rather just keep maxi 

Edited by gdm

5 minutes ago, The Prophet said:

If you want more end product, it makes sense.

Maxi has laid chances on a plate time and time again which but for poor finishing would have been assists thats not really his fault. Even yesterday he should have about 4 assists but ended up with 1 because of poor finishing. Could add more goals but he hasn’t been terrible in front of goal. He also gets us up the pitch in seconds

Edited by gdm

7 minutes ago, gdm said:

Disagree but that’s fine and if he is it’s not by much. I’d be on board if we were selling him to fund a Chiesa or partly towards the Napoli boy but selling him just to bring in Barnes is meh to me would rather just keep maxi 

I'd prefer to have someone actually makes the pitch, rather than sending cryptic messages every other week on social media.

1 minute ago, STM said:

I'd prefer to have someone actually makes the pitch, rather than sending cryptic messages every other week on social media.

Well aye fitness is an issue

9 minutes ago, McCormick said:

Aw man. Love Maxi. Not many players in the world can put the fear of god into elite full-backs like he can, when he’s in full flow. You could see him trying to change his game for Howe too (with noticeable improvements in his decision-making), so it’s not like he hasn’t bought in to what we were trying to do.

Seems to get a lot more stick than previous mercurial wingers who’ve played for us as well. With our crowd, it doesn’t take much for the groans to start, as if everything he did had to be magic. Weird. 

Yesterday I read the plaudits for Anderson getting a goal and assist.

Maxi did the same and more, had Lewis,Anderson, and others finished their chances, he'd have had 3 if not four assists and his goal.

But, nobody was bothered, just talk of lets sell our best players still, it's mental.

If anything we should be looking to offload all the deadwood first, and as the stronger players move down the pecking order it strengthens your squad overall.

1 minute ago, mighty__mag said:

Maxi did the same and more, had Lewis,Anderson, and others finished their chances, he'd have had 3 if not four assists and his goal.

But, nobody was bothered, just talk of lets sell our best players still, it's mental.

If anything we should be looking to offload all the deadwood first, and as the stronger players move down the pecking order it strengthens your squad overall.

We won't get ANY money for this bit though.

You know, the thing we need to be able to manoeuvre in the transfer market.

19 minutes ago, McCormick said:

I don't think that's right. I'd say Robert got less love, for example. I find it freakish how we keep ending up in the same relationship with French left wingers.

Edited by 80

2 minutes ago, mighty__mag said:

Agree with what you've said but this part in particular is where we are scuppered.

We can't shift our deadwood for anything like a reasonable fee so we can't generate enough money to improve the squad without fouling ffp.

I think there are going to be some unpopular/unlikely sales as we go on to help further the squad.

Can't say selling maxi would be my first choice like.

3 minutes ago, mighty__mag said:

Players like ASM are just as likely to be moved on with the FFP regs.  

20 minutes ago, McCormick said:

Ginola, Robert and HBA all had the same despite all being better players than ASM.

The bloke who sat behind me used to get apoplectic at Robert, usually for absolutely no good reason. 

6 minutes ago, 80 said:

I don't think that's right. I'd say Robert got less love, for example. I find it freakish how we keep ending up in the same relationship with French left wingers.

Really? Robert and Ginola are considered club icons and HBA, a cult hero. Of course you could argue he’s not on their level (although talent-wise there’s a faint argument that he could be) but would ASM get the same love after he left? 

Edited by McCormick

12 minutes ago, gdm said:

Maxi has laid chances on a plate time and time again which but for poor finishing would have been assists thats not really his fault. Even yesterday he should have about 4 assists but ended up with 1 because of poor finishing. Could add more goals but he hasn’t been terrible in front of goal. He also gets us up the pitch in seconds

Barnes don’t need to rely on assists - he just puts the ball in the back of the net himself. 

Just now, McCormick said:

Really? Robert and Ginola are considered a club icons and HBA, a cult hero. Of course you could argue he’s not on their level (talent-wise there’s a faint argument that he could be) but would ASM get the same love after he left? 

No

10 minutes ago, mighty__mag said:

If we could offload the deadwood they would be gone already.

13 minutes ago, gdm said:

3, 3, 5 ,1 is very poor in four seasons. He should have more assists and his numbers here are ok'ish.