Tottenham 0-1 Newcastle - Match Thread - 25/8/19

Mike

The narrative will be that Spurs were poor, however I think we still did well. We limited the amount of chance they had well, and in all honesty I don’t think they had a clear cut opportunity.

Joelinton did well, a little Rondon-esk. Almirón did well, after some naughty challenges in on him that went unpunished, he could have easily went and hid, but he still ran his heart on.

Atsu did well when he came on, at the end he was knackered, but it was probably one of his best displays for us. He should have controlled the ball more near the end, which would have given us a good opportunity for a second goal.

The back 3 did well, even Ritchie and Krafth did well. It looked like Krafth was sitting in too deep, but he played it well, because he was always able to prevent Son or Kane from coming and collecting the ball off him, and he knew Rose wouldn’t have been able to put in a decent cross. He only went to Rose when he knew he had Hayden of Longstaff covering, who both did well, though Longstaff’s passing was a bit iffy at the start.

Dúbravka, he did well when called on, probably one of the easiest games he’ll have all season though.

I thought Atsu was really good. Put a lot of effort in and got the assist.

Great win - has to be said.

Bruce looks in tears.

Bruce's face looked like he'd gone 12 rounds with a heavy weight.

Bruce is the heavyweight.

Spurs have 3/4 games like this every season. Slow methodical recycling to the point of boredom.

They turned up with their slippers on. Thought they could just stroll to an easy win, and got turned over. They have done the same against us several times in this fixture, in recent seasons.

Two banks of 5 and 4 for most of the game but they pulled it off.

Regarding the inevitable comparison, Moura and Kane both fluffed good opportunities and the Lascelles one was a pen, so not quite a Rafa masterclass. Still pretty good though, and given who we've played, 4 against so far is a positive sign.

I thought Joelinton looking like he was dawdling a bit in the big chance, but he scored and his overall game was very good.

Horrible refere today, but was in our favor for once!

I think there should be two penalties for Tottenham. Kane obviusly and even for Rose against Krafth.

Should also be a red on Sanches when Muto is free. Missed a lot of tackles as well who should be freekicks and some of them worth a yellow.

But this usually goes against us.

So this is how it feels!😉

Spurs were obviously a fair way from their best but to amplify their poor performance would massively discredit our's. The team were unbelievably organised and determined, limited space from the first minute to the last, timed tackles and interceptions to perfection, gave away absoulutely nothing in the air and linked well during the brief forays into Spurs' half. Newcastle were well worth the win and the players deserve to be buzzing.

I just wish it meant anything and that I could feel something, but there you go.

Almiron running the full length of the field in the 90th minute and then running the full length back was impressive. Everyone put in a shift but that play alone stood out to me. Anyways everyone in the world thought Spurs were gonna walk this one especially the Spurs players. Now time for the over bearing Bruce love by the media. To be fair NBC was talking about how Dummett laid into everyone for not showing up against Norwich and giving no effort...so  you go manager Dummett.

Spurs have 3/4 games like this every season. Slow methodical recycling to the point of boredom.

They turned up with their slippers on. Thought they could just stroll to an easy win, and got turned over. They have done the same against us several times in this fixture, in recent seasons.

They did the same in the first match of the season and got an extremely fortuitous draw last weekend. With Eriksen on the bench and the other absentees they have, the side have been struggling in general, tbh. The real surprise is Newcastle having enough to take advantage. Other than a few big performances, Spurs have been in poor form and playing rubbish since February/March of last season and have not markedly improved. I would not be surprised if Arsenal rubbish them in the next match.