Newcastle United 1-0 Crystal Palace - 21/12/19

Disco

Had we had this exact performance and result under Rafa everyone would be saying how much of a genius he is and you all know its 100% true.

I still dislike Bruce, understand ultimately hes a shite manager and we are going nowhere under him but I'm not going to pretend that the football was any better for large parts of last season either.

Somehow, and I dont understand how, the team are playing for him and he is picking up results, I don't expect it to last but we are doing extremely well on paper.

It's just Pardew all over again though, isn't it.

FT. Ninth, above Arsenal (!) 10 points above the bottom three. Possibly only need 10-12 more to stay up.

Still shit to watch though.

Cant get me head round tbh... we play far worse than we did in those 2 seasons we went down imo ... and the Saturday  before christmas were 4 points of the champions league places  :lol:

Had we had this exact performance and result under Rafa everyone would be saying how much of a genius he is and you all know its 100% true.

I still dislike Bruce, understand ultimately hes a shite manager and we are going nowhere under him but I'm not going to pretend that the football was any better for large parts of last season either.

Somehow, and I dont understand how, the team are playing for him and he is picking up results, I don't expect it to last but we are doing extremely well on paper.

It's just Pardew all over again though, isn't it.

Yep, I can't enjoy it, felt absolutely nothing when Almiron scored, apart from being happy for him personally.

I've tried to just live in the moment and enjoy it then I just see Bruce's fat head and it ruins it, and that's without thinking about Ashley and Charners and how they probably think they are geniuses for hiring him.

Agree with that. Still wish he wasn't here and we had a manager we could like. Fucking daft fat prick.

Disagree with this.  Getting 1 lucky shot on target in the second half is not a performance we'd sing Rafa's praises for.  Especially against a side as poor as Crystal Palace were today.  Praise was lavished on Rafa when we got 1-0 wins against better sides, whilst clearly playing a plan/system well.  Give it 6 months and the luck will even out. 

Also, imagine what Rafa would have done with the money Bruce got and against the poor oppositions we have faced this season.

This board is very negative tbf.

And understandably so.

Disagree with this.  Getting 1 lucky shot on target in the second half is not a performance we'd sing Rafa's praises for.  Especially against a side as poor as Crystal Palace were today.  Praise was lavished on Rafa when we got 1-0 wins against better sides, whilst clearly playing a plan/system well.  Give it 6 months and the luck will even out. 

Also, imagine what Rafa would have done with the money Bruce got and against the poor oppositions we have faced this season.

I disagree, and I would look back on quotes from similar games if I could be arsed but everyone would be talking about how well hes set up the defence and it doesn't matter that the football isn't great its the results that count etc....

I see your point on the transfer money, but are we actually a better team this season? I for one would kill for Rondon and Perez back.

We feel in a false position, we clearly aren't very good all visual evidence suggests so, but we are tough to beat so get results when we get a scrappy goal in. The false Rafa narrative is that we played super negative all season, we didn't, we were defensive but second half of season we were excellent. Bruce does deserve credit for keeping players onside, being practical when it comes to keeping same defensive shape and somehow getting these points. I still hold serious reservations about his actual acumen, his on the pitch tactical changes are nearly always rubbish as well. The problem is of course and always has been an owner willing to not buy Rondon and instead spunk everything on Joelinton for mysterious reasons. Selling Perez (albeit I slightly suspect this was long in the pipeline regardless) also would leave any manager with a team without the ability to score a lot.

I thought Bruce would be a total disaster and have to hold my hands up he clearly isn't even if we still look utter pants just get results somehow. The real disaster is that this is the acceptable new normal rather than the feeling under Rafa that he could build something. We will potter around midtable until Ashley sells half the squad under him and then get relegated again or something in the future.

We could finish in the champions league and I'd still think Rafa was a better manager, provided we keep playing the way we are.

Its built on sand and a very good defence, which ironically, Rafa built.

We've never been behind at half time at home, and only conceded 7 goals in 9 home games (joint 2nd best home defence in league).

That is impressive tbf. Quality of football isn't free-flowing, but we're clearly hard to beat at home.

Only defeat we got at home was against Arsenal, and they were lucky to win that.

The Rafa comparison falls a bit short considering we've spent 60m on attacking talent since he left.

That arguement falls short when you consider 40m was on Joelinton, though.

Exactly. Clutching at straws

I forgot that it's not the manager's role to get said expensive talent playing well.

We've never been behind at half time at home, and only conceded 7 goals in 9 home games (joint 2nd best home defence in league).

That is impressive tbf. Quality of football isn't free-flowing, but we're clearly hard to beat at home.

Only defeat we got at home was against Arsenal, and they were lucky to win that.

The game-plan at home is clearly keep it tight, and try and nibble a goal. Not the most exciting but we are getting solid points on the board.

Look at Norwich and Southampton - conceded 46 goals at home between them. Loads of their home games, they're not in with a chance of any points.

We consistently are. We've never been 2 behind at home all season.

It’s well known that outside of the top 6, 8 if you include Leicester and Wolves now, the rest of the league is pretty shit. Right now we are simply the best of the rest. That’s not to say we are good, or a bit lucky to be there.