Success at what cost?

Mike
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Some of you guys need to agree to disagree.

Certain posters are obsessed with discussions like this; it's become more of a sport to get their point across over and over and over. It's almost like they love the drama of it all.

Guest chopey

Let's be honest a Tory government wont let this deal fall through, absolutely no chance and their kicker will be the fact that the Saudis will be investing in the country after these troubled times.

I come in here and my head hurts firstly as I am not well versed in world affairs to try and have an opinion. The next feeling is my heart hurts as well meaning posters on both side try and express their sometimes raw feelings. I am a believer now whatever side of the fence your on being bad guy SA or indifference or support the team not the regime we are unlikely to sway anyone now. Over time success may turn people to the "dark side" but all in likelihood nothing the club does moving forward will be right.

I just hope outside of this thread people can remain civil.

Certain posters are obsessed with discussions like this; it's become more of a sport to get their point across over and over and over. It's almost like they love the drama of it all.

:thup:

I wish I could bring myself to be in opposition to the Saudi takeover because I know it almost certainly makes me a worse human being that I'm not. My heart just wants Ashley's mentality out of the club. It's never been about Ashley himself for me, and it's not about the Saudi's themselves. It's about the mentality, the approach the club takes on the pitch, and in that sense the takeover is a no brainer.

I wish I could bring myself to be in opposition to the Saudi takeover because I know it almost certainly makes me a worse human being that I'm not. My heart just wants Ashley's mentality out of the club. It's never been about Ashley himself for me, and it's not about the Saudi's themselves. It's about the mentality, the approach the club takes on the pitch, and in that sense the takeover is a no brainer.

This is it for me too.

The Saudi influence seeping into N-O already. Can't criticise them or respond to ridiculous posts now

The Saudi influence seeping into N-O already. Can't criticise them or respond to ridiculous posts now

:lol:

I tend to agree, the highly charged emotions about the morality of this take over will always simmer under the surface, both sides of the fence have strong opinions and neither are wrong except in the eye of the other. We all love NUFC, that at least we can agree on, I just want to love my team again, look forward to Saturdays again and hopefully European nights midweek too in the not to distant future. I'm tired of fighting this club, Ashley is gone, it's been a long and arduous fight and it's taken a lot out of us all, I either accept it for what it is or I walk away for good because it's not healthy.

I won't be coming back in this thread because it's been done to death, no one comes out of here a winner. Am I a hypocrite? Maybe, am I an enabler? Probably, am I an NUFC fan that just wants to see a successful team and region? Definitely.

I love this forum, I respect a lot of posters opinions on here, I don't think I've ever seen it as split as it is on this subject. I hope we can all find joy in an Ashley-less NUFC together, it would be a shame to lose anyone else.

I think most people agree we will celebrate and be back supporting the team. Just a bit of confusion over the difficult issue of what to say about the owners. It's a really hard one to navigate for a football fan.

Its not fair that anyone expects us to either, supporters are too diverse to pull in one direction.

I think most people agree we will celebrate and be back supporting the team. Just a bit of confusion over the difficult issue of what to say about the owners. It's a really hard one to navigate for a football fan.

Certainly is and I think it's a debate that's probably going to peak and trough for the duration of their time here, especially if we do well, obviously. I'd hope that it doesn't have a tarnishing effect, though I think the responsibility lies on the fans and their behaviour as much as anything else (and I'm not referring to healthy debate, there, I'm on about public displays of affection towards the Saudi regime). The moral debate is obviously raging atm cos it's all very new and there's literally fuck all else to talk about; hopefully we'll have actual football to discuss in the not-too-distant future.

this is the crux of it really, no?

not one single person is directly defending the SA regime are they?  i suppose a few have said they might use the club as part of a modernisation plan or whatever but ultimately it'd be better if we all just shut the fuck up about the majority owners when asked because the SA regime is abhorrent, unless you're one of the people who will walk away/stay away on principles over this

I think it's important we just keep our eyes open, don't get drawn on defending the Saudi state. If other fans want to try and blame us for what Saudi Arabia get up to, that's their issue.

Ugh, I've just become a "support da teem" guy haven't I?

I think it's important we just keep our eyes open, don't get drawn on defending the Saudi state. If other fans want to try and blame us for what Saudi Arabia get up to, that's their issue.

Ugh, I've just become a "support da teem" guy haven't I?

:lol:

Haven't we all.

That was stupid because the club wasn't trying though, not because Ashley was a horrible man.

It's possible to live, and enjoy living in a country and at the same time criticise it's government, policies and so on. It's possible to enjoy your work and wanting the company or whatever to do well but at the same time be critical of how it's run, wanting to change it. It's possible to love and support a football club and still criticise its ownership.

I appreciate it will only take seconds for accusations of whataboutery, but if the PL blocked the takeover, surely they'd need to: (i) revisit the Man City takeover and/or (ii) actually include clear guidelines on what which entities are or are not acceptable as potential owners?

Not trying to be antagonistic, but it would be nice if instead of automatically jumping to criticise all of the journalists and organisations 'coming out of the wood work' the people saying it could first do a quick Google search to check it's not actually their own awareness that's coming out of the woodwork and that they just haven't really paid any attention to the Saudi regime until it came into their world.

Not trying to be antagonistic, but it would be nice if instead of automatically jumping to criticise all of the journalists and organisations 'coming out of the wood work' the people saying it could first do a quick Google search to check it's not actually their own awareness that's coming out of the woodwork and that they just haven't really paid any attention to the Saudi regime until it came into their world.

Doesn’t really matter though as everything is ruled offside due to whataboutery.

Might as just go with whatever anyone is saying is true and their own house is fully in order leaving you to either walk away from the club or have blood on your hands.