Success at what cost?

Mike
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

I can't help but think that anyone in our fanbase who is against this for moral reasons doesn't quite understand capitalism. There is literally nobody who can afford a football club who doesn't have as much of a link to death or general misery than PIF.

[Edit] Maybe Bill Gates, anyone checked whether he likes us?

It's possible to be opposed to the Saudis an capitalism. In fact anybody with an understanding of capitalism and the workings of power should naturally be opposed to both.

Without capitalism, we’d all be jobless and living in caves.

It’s the best system there is, only we’ve allowed it to work the most for the few to benefit them best and the rest the worst.

Do you have another system that works better or will?

My own system of capitalism works great for me and my family and those I employ. I create jobs, wealth, I raise money for the state, I contribute to the system that benefits more and not less while the system I contribute to benefits me the least which maybe if not, I wouldn’t need to run a business or even need a job...

It benefits far more others even less though and that’s where I benefit them or those like myself and indeed you do the most working the system or making it work. And it does work.

I can’t remember the quote exactly or who said it but basically capitalism is the one thing that’s most right for us all out of everything we’ve triedfrom religion to communism, but the one thing we get so wrong or do it wrong badly the most of which defeats the whole purpose of capitalism.

I try to come to terms with this all by reminding myself how far we’ve come in just 100 years alone and how far we still have to go which if we use the last 100 years as a yardstick and not the thousands of centuries before that, we’re kind of getting there and unless there is a better way right now, we don’t have a choice. It’s about making it work again which it kind of does, but it’s unfairly stacked and those right at the bottom or on the end, they have Everest to climb, naked, blind and on crutches.

Clearly you were just looking for an excuse to spout forth the netty, as you haven't addressed the relationship with power that I specifically referenced. 

Capitalism’s relationship with those in power and those with power isn’t anywhere near as strong or rather as tight as the relationship to power between religion, status, heritage, royalty and titles.

The relationship between capitalism and wealth and with it power and it’s negative significance is even weaker as wealth and power derived from capitalism is pretty much what is most positive about capitalism for most of us.

I’d love to read your thoughts about another system that’s way better, if you have one. Please share if you do, you may just save the world one day and rid us of the evils of capitalism and it’s link to those in power and those with power.

I say that because no matter how wealthy I become, I don’t hold out much hope of ever becoming King one day or even the PM. And I wouldn’t want to be the Pope one day or the sultan/royal prince of some 3rd world nation either. I’d rather be on some yacht bored out of my tits.

I’d settle for owning my own footy club mind! Would I be able to do that in your non capitalist world?

If not, I don’t think I’ll bother if that’s OK with you?!

I've said nothing of a world without capitalism. I don't blame capitalism for the world's obvious problems, I blame people. Not everybody and not you.

The argument that "we'd still be living in caves' is just lazy bollocks., though.

Your original point was that people who understand capitalism should be okay with the Saudis. I say that if you understand capitalism you understand what facilitates the Saudis' behaviour.

For all Saudi Arabia demonstrates some of the worst excesses of capitalism, they're coming to buy us because the state has basically seized the means of production (and also doles out that cash to its citizens, more than half of which receive some form of welfare from the state).

Could this takeover make the club a target for terrorism, as a high profile Saudi/British asset?  I know SA has launched attacks against ISIS and vice-versa but then they're also both wahhabists and there's a sneaking suspicion they're batting for the same side in some matters.

Guest Butcher

Decent piece in The Athletic about Saudi Arabia and why they want to invest, specifically surrounding MBS and what's happened since he came to power. https://theathletic.com/1788335/2020/05/02/why-does-saudi-arabia-want-to-buy-newcastle-united?source=user-shared-article

"Enter Mohammed bin Salman, a prince who was never meant to be king. Ibn Saud had 36 sons and 27 daughters. It is estimated that the family could number 15,000. But the throne only passes through the sons and it took a series of deaths, from sons and crown princes who passed away from poor health, before Ibn Saud’s 25th son, Salman bin Abdulaziz, the former governor of Riyadh, became king in 2015. MBS was King Salman’s sixth, but favourite, son. When Salman bin Abdulaziz became king in 2015, MBS was made deputy crown prince and handed the defence portfolio. In 2017 he was elevated to crown prince, and King Salman’s anointed successor. "

Imagine having 63 kids :lol: :lol:

Decent piece in The Athletic about Saudi Arabia and why they want to invest, specifically surrounding MBS and what's happened since he came to power. https://theathletic.com/1788335/2020/05/02/why-does-saudi-arabia-want-to-buy-newcastle-united?source=user-shared-article

"Enter Mohammed bin Salman, a prince who was never meant to be king. Ibn Saud had 36 sons and 27 daughters. It is estimated that the family could number 15,000. But the throne only passes through the sons and it took a series of deaths, from sons and crown princes who passed away from poor health, before Ibn Saud’s 25th son, Salman bin Abdulaziz, the former governor of Riyadh, became king in 2015. MBS was King Salman’s sixth, but favourite, son. When Salman bin Abdulaziz became king in 2015, MBS was made deputy crown prince and handed the defence portfolio. In 2017 he was elevated to crown prince, and King Salman’s anointed successor. "

Even with 9 wives that's excessive.

I thought it was a well written, objective look at things but there's still umpteen toon fans piling in on twitter to attack his agenda. Some of them openly admitting that they haven't read the piece. :lol:

Even  :pardsbeard: would be impressed with those shagging stats.

Yeah, I started watching that Kick Off podcast and turned it off at around the 3/4 minute mark. The True Geordie started off the whincing, with his faux-victim claptrap and agendas again 'working class clubs like Newcastle,' then hit the off button the moment one of his minions came out with 'be careful what you wish for' re losing Ashley. That sort of thing doesn't deserve anyone's time at all.

I don't mind TG and I thought his interviews with Shearer and Dyer were excellent; he's pretty funny as well and his rants can be cathartic to listen to because you know he's got a lot of viewers and sometimes it's like YES, listen to this guy. But it also bothers me how, for all he's a big Newcastle fan, he refused to assist in any protest effort, and - as I say - stuff like that podcast is just painful to listen to.

The HITC guy is almost unbearable because of, as Wullie says that intonation. :lol:

The one I like is that Aussie fella who's channel is mostly Fifa stuff. Kind of a loveable fool.

That Athletic article was fantastic and important but sadly won't have the intended effect on enough people. (ie, here are the facts, please make your mind up without pre-existing biases and outside of NUFC bubbles) Telling that the Athletic turned off the comments for that article, never seen that before.

He said on a video not so long ago that he'd been approached by groups but he didn't want to get involved, cos there was "nothin ahh can do." This being a man with nearly two million subscribers on Youtube.

I think TG's content is better than his personality. Lawrence is much the smarter interviewer.

I do like their stuff, I just wish Brian would talk about himself less.

I think TG's content is better than his personality. Lawrence is much the smarter interviewer.

I do like their stuff, I just wish Brian would talk about himself less.

:laugh:

That's never going to happen. It's hilarious watching him talk to people and he turns it into a personal therapy session.

Haha we couldn't even unite to get rid of Ashley, she hasn't done her homework with regard to the polar opposite views of some of our fans

I can't imagine she cares about the dynamics of our fans. It's about keeping her husband's name alive and not letting his murderers escape without some consequence. She won't get her day in court so this is how she fights for him and good on her imho.