Various: N-O has lost the plot over potential end of Mike Ashley's tenure

Jinky Jim

The Reuben Brothers have many interests in Newcastle, they own a very large part of the City Centre (the "East Pilgrim Street" development area) and I think they wish to expand this further, so owning a stake in the football club of that City (which happens to also one of the UKs most famous clubs) is a no-brainer really.

It will be great to have them owning part of the club.

Totally, I can see why they would want in, not why the 80% stakeholders would want them in.

I’m genuinely more happy that they’re involved tbh. East Pilgrim Street is in need of being totally revamped - and I fucking hate Stack.

Not got a problem with that but that doesn't explain why the majority owner (getting ahead of myself) would let them in.

The Reuben Brothers have many interests in Newcastle, they own a very large part of the City Centre (the "East Pilgrim Street" development area) and I think they wish to expand this further, so owning a stake in the football club of that City (which happens to also one of the UKs most famous clubs) is a no-brainer really.

Totally, I can see why they would want in, not why the 80% stakeholders would want them in.

Could save them having to negotiate for land rights and stuff and also gives the club an in-built expertise and organisation to handle infrastructure stuff.

Could save them having to negotiate for land rights and stuff and also gives the club an in-built expertise and organisation to handle infrastructure stuff.

Thank you. That just about makes sense.

Had the Saudis started this project, then they probably wouldnt have been included. However, it was Staveleys brain child and the reubens were part of the consortia before SA.

Presumably they have a key role to play in regeneration.

It does sound like they sat around drinking expensive brandy on a yacht thinking up all sorts of business deals that could come about between the football club and the racecourse, the latter being why the Reubens are involved.

There’s definitely a plan in place.

I’m genuinely more happy that they’re involved tbh. East Pilgrim Street is in need of being totally revamped - and I fucking hate Stack.

Not got a problem with that but that doesn't explain why the majority owner (getting ahead of myself) would let them in.

Was there not discussions between Staveley and the Reubens first? Perhaps they then brought in PIF who wanted more control/say/willing to put more money in?

Oh and I quite like Stack.

Hmm. It’s fun for a bit, I can’t get my head around people who queue to get in mind, when there’s literally hundreds of other drinking holes!

Was there not discussions between Staveley and the Reubens first? Perhaps they then brought in PIF who wanted more control/say/willing to put more money in?

Hmm. It’s fun for a bit, I can’t get my head around people who queue to get in mind, when there’s literally hundreds of other drinking holes!

Yeah but the money calls the shots and I just wondered why the money would keep the Ruebens in there.......and I wouldn't queue up for Stack as much as I like it, particularly in winter.

Yeah but the money calls the shots and I just wondered why the money would keep the Ruebens in there.......and I wouldn't queue up for Stack as much as I like it, particularly in winter.

The Reubens "EPS" plans have barely started yet, Stack is a temporary infil, but there is at least ten years of re-development work to happen in the EPS area of the City Centre.

I reckon that will just be "for starters", with the Reubens and Saudis getting actively involved in the City Centre and around the rest of Newcastle.

The Reubens "EPS" plans have barely started yet, Stack is a temporary infil, but there is at least ten years of re-development work to happen in the EPS area of the City Centre.

I reckon that will just be "for starters", with the Reubens and Saudis getting actively involved in the City Centre and around the rest of Newcastle.

:naughty:

If it means the end of Pearl House and whatever the hell overhangs gets road (next to old Odeon) then that would be amazing!

Definitely needs some doing to it and I know Stack is temp, just hope its not just office blocks, student accom  done in bland fashions.

Edit....to expand on this and maybe it should be in general chat but city centres must change. They had to change due to the change in retail and with Civid 19 thats been accelerated. City centres will have to become more experience and residential based than retail like they've been over here for over 100yrs.

Probably because the Reubens were going to be involved in regenerating rundown areas of Newcastle, maybe even rebuilding the ground itself.  They are property developers after all .

Which means making money....why would the Saudis want to let someone else in on that ?

The Saudis don't really need the money though do they? Probably makes more sense for them to have the Reubens on board to deal with that side of it, and they get the foothold in the Premier league for their own purposes.

:naughty:

If it means the end of Pearl House and whatever the hell overhangs gets road (next to old Odeon) then that would be amazing!

Pearl house was due to come down this year I believe.

Commercial Union House (CU House) which extends over Pilgrim Street next to where the Odeon was, was indeed due to be removed this year. I think that is the building you mean, Stifleaay?

However, one of the many COVID-19 delays might mean this may not happen until next year, or even later.

The Pearl Assurance Building, while it is within the EPS area, is not going to be touched at all, there are no plans involving it.

It does sound like they sat around drinking expensive brandy on a yacht thinking up all sorts of business deals that could come about between the football club and the racecourse, the latter being why the Reubens are involved.

There’s definitely a plan in place.

Absolutely. I'm certain the fate of Gossy race course and Stack featured prominently in the discussions between MBS and the other consortium members.

Guest Howaythetoon

Is that Steve wraith in the know or full of rubbish ?

He's no more in the know than your average pinch of salt.

Fixed

I still don't understand why Reuben Brothers are on board tbh. Amanda I can understand as she set it all up, but why RB ?

Stuff like this is probably pretty convincing from their POV.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2019/11/27/manchester-city-owners-agree-sell-389m-stake-holding-company/

From their POV but not from the people putting up most of the cash. Why would they want/let the Rueben bros in on it?

Could be any number of reasons - spread the risk, reduce their initial outlay, build relationships. Ultimately though, PIF have been brought in to the deal rather than being the driving force behind it. RB were already involved.