Various: N-O has lost the plot over potential end of Mike Ashley's tenure

Jinky Jim

Its all sorted man, money talks, Bein sports will be broadcast legally in Saudi by the re-start of the season and Ashley will be long gone.

Money talks but Qatar have arguably more. Certainly they are capable to offer more to the PL.

According to a colleague, you can watch BeIN legally from KSA through their app or other 3rd party apps. Apparently loads of people watch it this way. Last year, I spent few days in Abu Dhabi and Bahrain - they are also part of the blockade - but BeIN's channels (and Al-Jazeera) were widely available in hotels and bars and it certainly wasn't beoutQ signal :lol:

Just interested, how do Qatar have arguably more financial power when Saudi Arabia's economy appears to be roughly three to four times larger by every measure?

Nor the finance :lol:

Aye, that's a stretch :lol:

A quick flick through Saudi channels shows that the quality of their TV productions is like something from early 70s. Couple this with the strict regulations on visual appearance and content. They need a huge media reform and billions in investment, on top of the licensing fees just to match what BeIN can offer the PL now. If they were able to that and rival Al-Jazeera, they would've done it a long time ago.

If anybody is stealing Qatar's PL rights for the whole region it'll probably be Dubai, with KSA's blessing of course.

Its all sorted man, money talks, Bein sports will be broadcast legally in Saudi by the re-start of the season and Ashley will be long gone.

Money talks but Qatar have arguably more. Certainly they are capable to offer more to the PL.

According to a colleague, you can watch BeIN legally from KSA through their app or other 3rd party apps. Apparently loads of people watch it this way. Last year, I spent few days in Abu Dhabi and Bahrain - they are also part of the blockade - but BeIN's channels (and Al-Jazeera) were widely available in hotels and bars and it certainly wasn't beoutQ signal :lol:

Just interested, how do Qatar have arguably more financial power when Saudi Arabia's economy appears to be roughly three to four times larger by every measure?

They have a much higher gdp but this is based purely on a much lower population. Overall less than 3 million I think, about 2 million of those are expats.

But saying that they export more oil than any other nation in the Middle East.

Saudi have mountains of cash reserves and gold and everything else you could think of but they also have high unemployment. They desperately need to diversify and modernise, something they are miles behind Qatar with.

In terms of international influence, it might be easy to concede that Qatar have more but Saudi are the only nation from that region to be part of the G20.

Whilst I lean towards the theory that it will get sorted and the sale will be completed, I don't think the resolution will involve BeIn Sport being broadcast in Saudi Arabia.

I think the Royal Family will want local control of the broadcast into Saudi homes so they can control what advertising materials and affiliated content comes along with the broadcast.  Saudi Arabia is a very-conservative country that finds many more liberal principles to be highly offensive so they would likely be intolerant of any extra content that comes along with the BeIn broadcast.  So I suspect they will pay for KSA Sport to have it's own broadcast license - possibly paying some compensation to BeIn, via the Premier League as part of the license fee, so Saudi Arabia doesn't directly send money to its enemy.

Agree. Like any other country, KSA can bid for the rights and show the PL locally. To do that now, they need to renegotiate with BeIN, cause they own rights for the whole MENA region (with KSA's approval) for another two years, if I'm not mistaken. It's extremely unlikely that Qatar and KSA will renegotiate anything right now - they have zero diplomatic relations.

The possibility of KSA outbidding Qatar for the PL rights in the whole region is pie in the sky stuff. They don't have the expertise, nor the finance to do that.

Nor the finance  :D

We are dealing with kids mind here.

Not every measure though.. The universally accepted one for economic efficiency - GDP PPP is twice the amount of Saudi's and ranks them 1st worldwide. KSA definitely have more historical trade significance and potential though but very little foreign expertise in anything apart from oil, construction and warfare.

The main difference is that Qatar is designed to be an investor's heaven. It's the most developed, most open to western influence of all Muslim countries. The reforms MBS is attempting to push now were done in Qatar in the 90s.

KSA, on the other hand is still a near-complete black box. They simply don't allow any form of foreign independent monitoring on any topic - juridical system, human rights, oil reserves, piracy accusations. In other words - an investor's hell.

Whilst I lean towards the theory that it will get sorted and the sale will be completed, I don't think the resolution will involve BeIn Sport being broadcast in Saudi Arabia.

I think the Royal Family will want local control of the broadcast into Saudi homes so they can control what advertising materials and affiliated content comes along with the broadcast.  Saudi Arabia is a very-conservative country that finds many more liberal principles to be highly offensive so they would likely be intolerant of any extra content that comes along with the BeIn broadcast.  So I suspect they will pay for KSA Sport to have it's own broadcast license - possibly paying some compensation to BeIn, via the Premier League as part of the license fee, so Saudi Arabia doesn't directly send money to its enemy.

Agree. Like any other country, KSA can bid for the rights and show the PL locally. To do that now, they need to renegotiate with BeIN, cause they own rights for the whole MENA region (with KSA's approval) for another two years, if I'm not mistaken. It's extremely unlikely that Qatar and KSA will renegotiate anything right now - they have zero diplomatic relations.

The possibility of KSA outbidding Qatar for the PL rights in the whole region is pie in the sky stuff. They don't have the expertise, nor the finance to do that.

Nor the finance  :D

We are dealing with kids mind here.

Wish I was a kid like. My username and my broken English might be doing me a disservice here but my posts on the topic appear far more researched than most on this thread.

Not every measure though.. The universally accepted one for economic efficiency - GDP PPP is twice the amount of Saudi's and ranks them 1st worldwide. KSA definitely have more historical trade significance and potential though but very little foreign expertise in anything apart from oil, construction and warfare.

The main difference is that Qatar is designed to be an investor's heaven. It's the most developed, most open to western influence of all Muslim countries. The reforms MBS is attempting to push now were done in Qatar in the 90s.

KSA, on the other hand is still a near-complete black box. They simply don't allow any form of foreign independent monitoring on any topic - juridical system, human rights, oil reserves, piracy accusations. In other words - an investor's hell.

Wikipedia, I know, but these lists of GPD PPP don't put Qatar anywhere near first, around 50th actually, with Saudi Arabia around 15th.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_GDP_(PPP)#:~:text=GDP%20comparisons%20using%20PPP%20are,which%20may%20distort%20the%20real

Surely what is being discussed is the power of the state of Saudi Arabia to purchase something rather than to attract inward investment.

As much as I dislike him, he’s not wrong.

He might be though, he, you or I don't know that

it may eventually go through but what he's said there is 100% right what Stavely and co have been leaking to journalists about "no red flags" is clearly complete bollocks as is their bravado that oh it will be done in a few weeks.

https://twitter.com/MoneyMikeAshley/status/1270475130557399040

I think this deal hinges completely on a compromise on KSA through PIF influence. Would be nice if the Reubens just said fuck it and tapped in for the PIF and just took it down themselves, but obv that ain’t happening. 

Again, think this entire thing right now is working through how quickly PIF can get MBS to agree to quickly make some changes. My mind says it gets done, the whole KSA vision 2030 stuff and losing to Qatar in this would be massive egg in the face for MBS and his old man’s view of his + “rivals” in KSA and in the region. Further, I think the PL have the leverage they finally needed to alleviate the piracy concerns in the region.

Guest chopey

I think this deal hinges completely on a compromise on KSA through PIF influence. Would be nice if the Reubens just said fuck it and tapped in for the PIF and just took it down themselves, but obv that ain’t happening. 

Again, think this entire thing right now is working through how quickly PIF can get MBS to agree to quickly make some changes. My mind says it gets done, the whole KSA vision 2030 stuff and losing to Qatar in this would be massive egg in the face for MBS and his old man’s view of his + “rivals” in KSA and in the region. Further, I think the PL have the leverage they finally needed to alleviate the piracy concerns in the region.

Totally agree and the deal will be done by my birthday on the 20th or I'll eat my hat

Wikipedia, I know, but these lists of GPD PPP don't put Qatar anywhere near first, around 50th actually, with Saudi Arabia around 15th.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_GDP_(PPP)#:~:text=GDP%20comparisons%20using%20PPP%20are,which%20may%20distort%20the%20real

Surely what is being discussed is the power of the state of Saudi Arabia to purchase something rather than to attract inward investment.

Per capita, of course. Qatar is a dwarf territory compared to KSA, after all.

Is it not going to be difficult for PIF to say they are separate from the Saudi regime but can still do something about piracy in the region?  If they can then they are clearly the same entity 

GPD PPP per capita is not really a measure of a nation's overall purchasing power. Depending on whether the data is coming from Luxembourg and Lichtenstein are above Qatar in terms of GPD PPP per capita, that doesn't mean that they'd have the ability to compete financially with Qatar, or Saudi Arabia, as a nation.

Is it not going to be difficult for PIF to say they are separate from the Saudi regime but can still do something about piracy in the region?  If they can then they are clearly the same entity 

MBS on the board of PiF like - just get a commitment for "the state" to crack down on beoutq in all it's forms would surely be enough, they don't have to admit to being behind the fucker

If the PL are insisting PIF do something with regards to Piracy I can’t imagine PIF being thrilled.

A members club telling them how to run the country won’t go down well I think.

Theyre not telling them how to run their country.

If the PL are insisting PIF do something with regards to Piracy I can’t imagine PIF being thrilled.

A members club telling them how to run the country won’t go down well I think.

I would think any requests the PL make of PIF would be off the record, since PIF are supposed to be a separate entity from the govt. Really they shouldn't be asking about any of that, but they might seek PIF 'advice'.

GPD PPP per capita is not really a measure of a nation's overall purchasing power. Depending on whether the data is coming from Luxembourg and Lichtenstein are above Qatar in terms of GPD PPP per capita, that doesn't mean that they'd have the ability to compete financially with Qatar, or Saudi Arabia, as a nation.

It's not simply a question of purchase power though - even the poorest countries are rich enough to afford the PL rights, if they had to. You're picking on just a tiny bit of what I said. Al-Jazeera (BeIN) is a mastodon media empire in worldwide terms. Saudi Arabia can't create a product to rival this from scratch, if they could - they would have done it a long time ago. It's simply unrealistic, to expect Riyadh to become a media hub, while foreign journalists are not allowed access to the country.

Charlton have their 2nd takeover in 6 months. We are nearly 3 months into checks being carried out by the Premier League.

If the EFL who are supposed to have a stricter D&O test, more cash flow problems, and more problems with their leagues can approve a takeover, there really is no excuse for the Premier League to be taking so long.

Guest godzilla

Charlton have their 2nd takeover in 6 months. We are nearly 3 months into checks being carried out by the Premier League.

If the EFL who are supposed to have a stricter D&O test, more cash flow problems, and more problems with their leagues can approve a takeover, there really is no excuse for the Premier League to be taking so long.

The view made by many (not saying I personally agree with this), is that they are waiting for the WTO report to be made public

Guest godzilla

Realistically, how long do you think the Premier League can prolong this test for?

End of July?

Pass don't have a clue

Guest awaymag

I still think a decision will be made before the restart of the season.  If they don't then I think this then becomes a real issue with an Owner who has effectively walked away