Various: N-O has lost the plot over potential end of Mike Ashley's tenure

Jinky Jim

Also if we went down and that affected the £300m value being met because we’d be worth less, could Ashley in theory take legal action against the PL if it was down to them dragging their heels?

Really doubt it.

Ashley would probably give it a go though.

Decent article just about sums up the state of the club at present. How anyone can deny us the opportunity to move on from this shambles is beyond me.

I would bet championship clubs have more staff employed than we do currently, it’s a fu#%ing shit show.

If the premier league knock back this takeover, as far as I’m concerned they become complicit in our demise which will inevitably follow.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-8443279/Faltering-takeover-controversy-angry-fans-uninterested-owner-Newcastle-ZOMBIE-CLUB.html

That's from this article btw. https://www.theguardian.com/football/2020/jun/20/steve-bruce-looks-on-bright-side-and-hopes-newcastle-limbo-can-end-soon

Steve Bruce does not consider the question for long before he starts laughing. Newcastle’s manager has just been asked about the club’s involvement at the heart of a bitter proxy war between Saudi Arabia and Qatar and his rueful expression speaks volumes. “Are we surprised?” he says. “Getting involved in geopolitics, it could only happen to Newcastle, couldn’t it?”

What has become known as the Gulf cold war represents a key reason why the Premier League has spent the past 11 weeks pondering whether to approve a contentious £300m Saudi-led takeover set to simultaneously free Newcastle fans from the misery of Mike Ashley’s 13-year ownership and make their club England’s richest.

Sources close to the deal believe it is finally near to being sanctioned but while a green light could only delight a majority of Tynesiders it would also leave Bruce and his players in the eye of a public-relations firestorm.

Concerns about Saudi Arabia’s grisly human rights record are already swirling on Gallowgate and the installation of a consortium comprising Saudi’s Public Investment Fund (PIF), Reuben Brothers and Amanda Staveley would, in the short-term at least, leave Bruce braced for some awkward questions at his virtual media conferences.

Given the narrow remit of their owners’ and directors’ test, it is intellectual property theft – the illicit streaming of Qatar’s beIN Sports through the illegal beoutQ platform – which has most vexed the league. Such piracy, allegedly Saudi, has led to lawyers spending almost three months debating semantics. Is there a technical separation between the Saudi government and PIF?

Given that Mohammed bin Salman, Saudi Arabia’s crown prince, is PIF’s chairman, that beIN has a three-year £500m overseas rights deal with the Premier League and that a recent World Trade Organisation report on the matter condemns the kingdom’s role in piracy, much hinges on such legal considerations.

The resultant hiatus has left Newcastle frozen in the middle of a potentially transformative sliding-doors moment. “You feel a lot of sympathy for the fans – and everybody concerned,” says Bruce, who has had no communication with Ashley or the consortium. “It’s dragged on but my staff and I have to perform against Sheffield United at an empty St James’ Park on Sunday and not let the uncertainty become an excuse.”

Many outsiders believe a takeover would preface Bruce’s swift departure but that would be desperately unfair on a manager who, against all odds, has steered a limited, goal-shy squad to within touching distance of safety.

Although the optimistic side of the 59-year-old harbours hopes of securing the top-10 finish that could yet give those lobbying for Rafael Benítez’s return or Mauricio Pochettino’s appointment pause for thought, another part of Bruce is more pessimistic. He privately fears the undermining limbo now paralysing the club could undo much of his good work. The sooner the side’s 35-point tally can become 40, the better for his and Newcastle’s futures.

“I’m a fan and always will be,” he says. “Whatever’s best for the club is best for me but if there’s going to be a takeover and I can help Newcastle in any way I’d love to stay in charge. It’s a difficult, difficult job. But I hope I can take this great club forward.

“Whoever was going to replace Rafa as manager here was going to have a difficult time. I was under no illusions but, whatever the negativity around me, the vast majority of people I bump into in the street have been hugely respectful. They wish me the best.”

He hopes to make his own luck by continuing with the shift from Benítez’s safety-first back-three to the four-man defence and slightly more expansive passing style he had introduced shortly before lockdown. “It was time to change,” says Bruce. “I thought we’d lost our goal threat. A back-four is the way forward.

“But it’s important we can adapt to situations and have one or two formations up our sleeves to switch to. My old Hull team could do that and Tottenham under Pochettino often changed systems. Flexibility isn’t a bad thing.”

Neither is charity. Indeed PIF is not the only party hoping that the generous gift contained in the belly of the Saudi cargo plane that touched down on English soil last Monday will soon be reciprocated by a different type of gesture.

As Dominic Raab tweeted his thanks for the hundreds of thousands of NHS-bound medical gowns donated by the Saudi government, the foreign secretary emphasised the powerful ties binding the kingdom and the UK. Maybe, just maybe, that was the moment Newcastle took a significant step towards escaping their current, thoroughly debilitating, state of purgatory.

Are these sources from the premier league or from PIF though who have always basically said as such? If it has actually leaked what is it likely to be or has masters told them he will decide by next week and they assume will be positive and told press as such? Obviously can't tell us but I'll just believe it when it's official and not before

Haha it could only happen to Newcastle eh, daft old Newcastle. Cuh, what we like, eh? Barmy sort, us Newcastles, trust us, hehe, would ye credit it, only us eh?

It's happening all over the place, ye small-time div. Try Man City. Or the literal World Cup. Rafa quote in there for good measure n'all.

Decent article just about sums up the state of the club at present. How anyone can deny us the opportunity to move on from this shambles is beyond me.

I would bet championship clubs have more staff employed than we do currently, it’s a fu#%ing s*** show.

If the premier league knock back this takeover, as far as I’m concerned they become complicit in our demise which will inevitably follow.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-8443279/Faltering-takeover-controversy-angry-fans-uninterested-owner-Newcastle-ZOMBIE-CLUB.html

Video of Sven Goran Eriksson embedded within and his nose for where the money is admiration for Newcastle. Digging around for his Notts County scarf as we speak.

Interesting.

Very and a nice reminder to premier league, with bein confirming they’ll be bidding less next time.

Also shows that despite the faux outrage  re Saudi piracy, other leagues will be only to willing to take their cash.

If the premier league send them packing here, they may well find another league gets a very nice cash boost. The premier league would look a bit silly and shortsighted with their moral high ground then.

It would also be worth remembering for the premier league, that Qatar had every chance previously to purchase an English club.

They didn’t and purchased a French club instead, the premier league will look a bit sick here if they back the wrong horse.