NUFC : Next Manager (Bruce is here forever)

Guest The Little Waster

Nufc Next Manager : Poch or Rafa ?  

343 members have voted

1. 1. Nufc Next Manager : Poch or Rafa ?

• Pochettino
    • Rafa

Am in the minority that didn’t think we played bad football under Rafa? It seems to be something that’s hoyed at him but aside from the games against City and Liverpool I never felt like it was bad or boring. Aye we were defensive and played on the counter but it wasn’t Pardew or Bruce levels of cluelessly bad.

Am in the minority that didn’t think we played bad football under Rafa? It seems to be something that’s hoyed at him but aside from the games against City and Liverpool I never felt like it was bad or boring. Aye we were defensive and played on the counter but it wasn’t Pardew or Bruce levels of cluelessly bad.

it wasn't great and were it anyone other than rafa doing it even with the same results people would have been groaning about it imho

I don't think we played bad football by any means, it was very efficient for the players we had available.

My point was, do people think Rafa would change to a more attacking style due to players available if we start to spend money on a higher calibre of player.

it wasn't great and were it anyone other than rafa doing it even with the same results people would have been groaning about it imho

I disagree again here. Maybe I’m a proper dullard but I enjoyed the structure of the system and you could see a very clear plan. It had been years since I’d seen us so organised and some of the movements between the forwards, especially after Rondon and Miggy arrived doesn’t just happen, you could just tell it was tactics and training ground drills.

I don't think we played bad football by any means, it was very efficient for the players we had available.

My point was, do people think Rafa would change to a more attacking style due to players available if we start to spend money on a higher calibre of player.

It had crossed my mind that if all this happens the way I want it to go and he comes back I doubt we’ll see the free flowing ASM that we’ve all grown to love. I do think he’ll be more attacking than he was given the right budget.. just not ASM levels of wild

He adapted to what he had to do, then was building a more expansive style, he wasn’t given the chance to fulfill what he wanted us to be, surely he would get it if he came back.

You could see his plan , you always felt you trusted him .

I plumped for Poch but my heart is swinging me back to Rafa, unless this all goes tits up and I will end up topping myself  :lol:

Guest neesy111

Rafa will play attacking football if the team was capable of it and be solid at the back still.

His Liverpool team played some excellent football in the 2008/09 season.

I disagree again here. Maybe I’m a proper dullard but I enjoyed the structure of the system and you could see a very clear plan. It had been years since I’d seen us so organised and some of the movements between the forwards, especially after Rondon and Miggy arrived doesn’t just happen, you could just tell it was tactics and training ground drills.

I didn't mind it personally (hell seeing a not only competent but actually good newcastle defence is amazing) but comparing it to Liverpool for example which is another fairly structured team theres no comparison. Now obviously thats not a fair comparison considering the quality difference in the players but going off Rafa's history in management he's generally favored a structured not very exciting style of football and I can't see why that would change now.

Rafa has the edge over the likes of Pochettino for me just because he’s already been in, has the backing of the fans, and already knows exactly what this club needs on and off the pitch. He’ll be able to help the new owners with that from day one. Think he’d be perfect to try and get us in and amongst the top 6 and go for the cups too.

Guest neesy111

Rafa has the edge over the likes of Pochettino for me just because he’s already been in, has the backing of the fans, and already knows exactly what this club needs on and off the pitch. He’ll be able to help the new owners with that from day one. Think he’d be perfect to try and get us in and amongst the top 6 and go for the cups too.

This is debatable with sections of the fanbase.

sections of the fanbase who still can't seem to understand Rafa will be the first to support any manager who plays attacking football.

this same section of our fanbase for some reason continues to attack Rafa's inability to play a blitzkrieg style football, one of which he's never done in his career all with the likes of Atsu, Ritchie, Diame/Hayden, Shelvey and Gayle/Joselu/Ayoze up top :lol:

This is debatable with sections of the fanbase.

Yep, I know a few that done nothing but complain about Rafa and his style of football. I know for a fact that these same people aren't happy about rumours of Rafas return.

To be fair though, these same people are miserable fuckers anyway and just love to complain about anything and everything.

Few managers will have 100% backing. The vast majority are in his favour.

this 100% at the end of the day rafa did well with twenty pence and a fuck load of non committal from a non existent board and still managed to make us look stable, I am sure he wanted to do more but was making us the most effective unit he had with the tools he had available.

Give the man money, a long term goal and he will do his best to see it happen if its within his power.

He would also fit in nicely with an ownership that wants to spread its wings out in the community in terms of engagement and good will.

Rafa's earnt the opportunity. No other manager on that list would have even looked at us at the time Rafa took over.

Kind of feel we owe it to him, plus I cant see any other manager connecting with the club in the same way he did.

Love the man. Finally deserves a job he's fully backed in.

This, it's short-sighted to think anything else.

He's got unfinished business here, we owe him, also there could be no one better to rebuild us from top to bottom. Anyone wanting someone else has a short fucking memory like.

:thup:

We didn’t play bad football under Rafa by any means. Perhaps it was more defensive than many would have liked, but defensive =/= bad.

Rafa obviously. Knows the club, most of the players, staff, has a good relationship with fans. Has demonstrated time and time that he knows how to build successful teams (Newcastle, Napoli, Liverpool, Valencia) and is able to get good results with established teams (Chelsea, Real Madrid). It's a no brainer if this takeover happens and he is open to the idea himself. I think there is a good chance that he will honor his commitment with his current club given the commitment they gave him though.

:thup:

We didn’t play bad football under Rafa by any means. Perhaps it was more defensive than many would have liked, but defensive =/= bad.

effective yes but at times frustrating allowing the other team to have alot of the ball and still feel comfortable you do have to admire its what stopped us getting battered even when outclassed.

However its not the same as free flowing attacking football making the team work so hard as they are chasing shadows. We never got that at all with rafa but as I said previously what tools did he have and even when he did sign players he admitted himself he gave the board 3 levels of purchase high, medium, and meth and to be fair most of the time it was category 3 or my personal fav category 4 (you get what your given we spent the money on agent fees).

Rafa's earnt the opportunity. No other manager on that list would have even looked at us at the time Rafa took over.

Kind of feel we owe it to him, plus I cant see any other manager connecting with the club in the same way he did.

Love the man. Finally deserves a job he's fully backed in.

This, it's short-sighted to think anything else.

He's got unfinished business here, we owe him, also there could be no one better to rebuild us from top to bottom. Anyone wanting someone else has a short fucking memory like.

100% agree.

These folk criticising Rafa just stop for a second, take a deep breath and think back....think back to what he had at his disposal and what amazing things he did and bear in mind he was getting fucked by the very people who were meant to be in place to 'whatever Rafa wants, Rafa gets'.

Then take another deep breath, close your eyes and think what a Newcastle team led by Rafa would play like where he was properly financed in transfer windows and allowed to bring in his first choice players........

Anyway, that wasn't really my point......Right now this is about so so much more than what happens on the pitch at 3pm on a Saturday afternoon.  This club is completely fucked from the very bottom to the very top. 

I truly believe Rafa had/has a plan and is capable of fixing this club.

I actually really enjoyed seeing how well organised we were.  It was quite cathartic knowing your manager knew what he was doing and wasnt relying on mavericks or 'big performances' week in week out.

I still dont understand why people ignore what he achieved in the second half of the season when he had Almiron at his disposal.

With Raf you can expect rigidity and discipline. That doesn’t mean defensive football but it does mean that defence is prioritised, scorelines are quite narrow, a few too many draws, and some players having offensive instinct curtailed.

I’m fine with that.

I actually really enjoyed seeing how well organised we were.  It was quite cathartic knowing your manager knew what he was doing and wasnt relying on mavericks or 'big performances' week in week out.

I still dont understand why people ignore what he achieved in the second half of the season when he had Almiron at his disposal.

This.

If you want to judge what he did for the club just look where we were on and off the pitch when he took over and where he left both.

If you want judge his football judge him from Almiron arriving after finally getting the green light to sign one of his top targets he had wanted in the summer.

You could see his plan slowly developing from day one just needed backing to do it over each transfer window not just when it suited the clubs PR to do so.