Callum Wilson a doubt for season opener due to minor back surgery (Various)

Strawberry

He feels super underrated, and I never understand the people who think he's played poorly because he hasn't scored yet. He leads the line way more effectively than Isak, especially hold up play and starting the press. 

Wish he'd have been able to finish with a first touch for his goal. We'd have gone from Pope saving on the line to scoring at the other end in seconds and all one touch with no hopeful punts involved.

Still possibly our goal of the season so far like and there are some contenders.

Edited by madras

1 hour ago, Optimistic Nut said:

Aye that's true. Cole getting the number he did in general without penalties is unreal. Malcolm Allen and Peter Beardsley scored 9 pens that 93/4 season, even if he was a poor pen taker you'd think he'd score 5-6, could have had 40 league goals alone. 

Aye. Without penalties Cole would be 3rd all-time PL top scorers (186), above Rooney behind Kane and Shearer (204). Much closer to Shearer without pens.

Les Ferdinand would be 5th. Above Fowler, Henry, Owen and Lampard.

Putting in perspective how good both Cole and Ferdinand were.

Edit: Cole didn't make his PL debut until close to his 22nd birthday too.

Edited by The College Dropout

29 minutes ago, OCK said:

He feels super underrated, and I never understand the people who think he's played poorly because he hasn't scored yet. He leads the line way more effectively than Isak, especially hold up play and starting the press. 

He is better between the posts and back to goal, for sure.  Not sure he is 'way more' effective than Isak in leading the line, though.  

They are different types of players and it is good having them as options.  As they're both starting quality players and top level strikers in the league.  Just a shame we don't get to see them on the pitch too often together. 

WIlson is definitely better at pressing. His nous for when to trigger is really, really good, and he properly commits to it when he does it. Isak can be great at it but can also be a bit lacklustre/seems to gas out easier. I think it's fair to say Wilson is better at 'traditional' hold up play too but he's not a better link man when it's about balls into feet, imo, he's levels off Isak when it comes to that. 

2 minutes ago, Gallowgate Toon said:

WIlson is definitely better at pressing. His nous for when to trigger is really, really good, and he properly commits to it when he does it. Isak can be great at it but can also be a bit lacklustre/seems to gas out easier. I think it's fair to say Wilson is better at 'traditional' hold up play too but he's not a better link man when it's about balls into feet, imo, he's levels off Isak when it comes to that. 

Aye Isak could learn a lot from Wilson. And can develop further physically. When he does. He's going to be unbelievable.

3 hours ago, Optimistic Nut said:

Aye that's true. Cole getting the number he did in general without penalties is unreal. Malcolm Allen and Peter Beardsley scored 9 pens that 93/4 season, even if he was a poor pen taker you'd think he'd score 5-6, could have had 40 league goals alone. 

I still have nightmares of the Andy cole penalty at Coventry 

2 hours ago, Gallowgate Toon said:

Yeah noticed Isak's first touch after coming on at the weekend was a magnificent touch and turn all in one motion after receiving a ball drilled into him. 

Didn't really want him playing in this game tbh, felt it was perfect for Isak, but he did well enough in the circumstances. He didn't do much wrong with the chances he had, their keeper was fantastic.

He's a fantastic finisher but his first touch has been poor recently. Never gets it under control properly unlike Isaak. Looks a bit slower this season as well. He's a perfect impact sub for the last 20 minutes if we can get Isaak fit for a decent run. 

3 minutes ago, 500bhp said:

He's a fantastic finisher but his first touch has been poor recently. Never gets it under control properly unlike Isaak. Looks a bit slower this season as well. He's a perfect impact sub for the last 20 minutes if we can get Isaak fit for a decent run. 

Don't think conditions helped tonight, the ball really fizzed across the surface, I think it made it difficult to judge the pace of the ball. You could tell by the amount of times the ball went out of play when it was passed out wide.

17 minutes ago, Kanji said:

Ya he 100% needs to be scoring that tho. So don’t agree. Love him to bits of course but that needs left peg high not contorted right peg. 

I'll have to watch it again but looked like it came at him quite quickly in a tight space so he didn't have that much time to decide how to place his leg.

My biggest groan of the match came when (I think it was Tonali) played a through ball to him that was inch perfect and it just didn’t stick. Isak does something with that. That’s the difference, as much as I love wor Callum. 

Edited by cubaricho

On 23/10/2023 at 05:23, OCK said:

Don’t agree with this mind. Neither of them play well in isolation but which strikers do in 2023? Didier Drogba is the only PL striker I can think of that genuinely looked a massive and consistent threat when receiving the ball nowhere near a teammate.

Wilson is a poacher as Kanji says. He doesn’t contribute to build up play other than being there to put pressure on and do the basics right. Isak is an incredible footballer that will score as many as Wilson given the same chances in addition to working the channels and coming short to greater effect. All about getting a no.10 type midfielder and RW to both take the pressing strain off him and get the best out of his ludicrous talent. 

3 minutes ago, cubaricho said:

My biggest groan of the match came when (I think it was Tonali) played a through ball to him that was inch perfect and it just didn’t stick. Isak does something with that. That’s the difference, as much as I love wor Callum. 

100% brother.

According to Fbref, 99 strikers out of 100 attempt more passes per 90 minutes than Callum Wilson. Being below average is one thing, but in the bottom 1% is something else, almost a thing of beauty.

Ollie Watkins and Haarland are similar, so it is not a fatal flaw. It just means cliches about "bringing others into play" are not applicable. If you want to see that, watch Ivan Toney.

13 hours ago, madras said:

Concerned about him possibly haven't to play all games for the next few weeks.

"Serhou Guirassy has a release clause into his contract for just €??.??"

Fabrizio Romano posted this. Could be something to look at in january, we kind of need another striker due to injury problems and also Wilson getting older.

Edited by Erikse