Callum Wilson

Strawberry

I’d personally keep him but under the understanding that he has no hope of playing more than one in three games or something or that he would only come on from 60 mins. However, I’d replace him in the sense of getting a second striker who is reliably fit even if they don’t have the same output as Callum just yet. I can’t see why he’d ever want to leave as his body won’t ever allow him to play more than games than he does for us 

It’s not rocket science. He needs to be used as backup and impact sub when we need a goal or Isak needs a rest. I do cringe when people make out like it’s some big call for which one of them starts, because it really isn’t. 

I do also think Isak needs more support from midfield and RW in order to get the best out of him - fuck, imagine that - and preserve his fitness. 

As much as we love him, his fragility means you need 3 players for rotation and cover (up top), you just can't risk him as one of two.

It's such a shame as he's so good when on it.

I'm not having Gordon as the third forward, he plays like a wide player out of position. Now and again yes, but not for an extended period.

Edited by Bimpy474

2 hours ago, gbandit said:

I’d personally keep him but under the understanding that he has no hope of playing more than one in three games or something or that he would only come on from 60 mins. However, I’d replace him in the sense of getting a second striker who is reliably fit even if they don’t have the same output as Callum just yet. I can’t see why he’d ever want to leave as his body won’t ever allow him to play more than games than he does for us 

There aren't many strikers (in the world) that have Callum's output... Really all that's needed is a third option so Callum or Isak doesn't get stretched when one inevitably goes down

I think he gets replaced as the second striker next summer. He will still get a fair few minutes coming on as a sub but there’s no room for sentimentality in football. Yes he’ll still be a valued part of the squad and hardly cast aside but for where we’re going he just can’t play enough and is too injury prone to be relied on as key 2md striker particularly as Isak also seems injury prone.

Wilson should essentially be third choice CF and used exclusively as an impact substitute.

He'd be excellent in that role and can't be trusted in any other one.

Not sure whether he earns too much for that to be decent value for money for us but it'd be great if he could be.

11 minutes ago, MrRaspberryJam said:

And we haven’t been able to manage Isaks fitness because of Wilson’s injuries

Hmm well Isak went first and then Wilson in this case, but I'm sure the opposite would have been true. We had been seeing a 60/30 split with alternating 60 minutes.

His ideal replacement is Ivan Toney. Whether we could afford Toney, whether he'd want to come back here and whether the club would be prepared to pay a fortune for a player we more or less gave away....well that might be a different story.

13 minutes ago, Wandy said:

His ideal replacement is Ivan Toney. Whether we could afford Toney, whether he'd want to come back here and whether the club would be prepared to pay a fortune for a player we more or less gave away....well that might be a different story.

Unfortunately, we have reached our quota of gamblers in the team. 

1 hour ago, Shak said:

Wilson should essentially be third choice CF and used exclusively as an impact substitute.

He'd be excellent in that role and can't be trusted in any other one.

Not sure whether he earns too much for that to be decent value for money for us but it'd be great if he could be.

That's basically his ideal role already... We didn't buy Isak for 70 million so Wilson could be anything more than a super sub, but Isak can't stay on the pitch, so Eddie's been forced to use Wilson as an out-and-out starter.

The cover isn't for Wilson. In an ideal world, Alex stays healthy, plays his 70 minutes a game, and makes way for Callum, but he hasn't proven he can do that.

Every time he gets injured - replace him 

3 bad games on the bounce - replace him

No respect for a player with more league goals than Marcus Rashford, Ollie Watkins, Darwin Nunez, Dom Solanke, Evan Ferguson, Gabriel Jesus, Eddie Nketiah, Diogo Jota, Calvert-Lewin, Nicholas Jackson, Nkunku, Richarlison. 

Fucking Cameron Archer cost £25m. Gabby Jesus £45m. Nunez £80m. Rasmus Hojlund £80m. 

But aye us with glaring holes in the squad and FFP limitations. Let’s easily replace Callum Wilson. 

edit: 25 goals in 41 league appearances- many off the bench - since the start of last season. Only bettered by Haaland and Kane.  Put some respect on his name please. Get better quickly lad. 

Edited by The College Dropout

Soon as he had to play 3 games back to back in a week, he's crocked. Playing 30 minutes every game, 2-3 times a week is where he is.

He's extremely useful as an impact sub. But we need 3 forwards so he isn't in a position where he has to play 2 90 minutes in a week.

He's either picks up an injury or looks like he's running through treacle.

Edited by BlazeT44

As people have said the direction we are wanting to go we simply cannot rely on Wilson as a main striker, we need to invest heavily on a striker who we know is capable of 35 -40 games a season and have Wilson as the 3rd choice in rotation or an impact sub from the bench. The only one for me that will suit what we need is Victor Osimhen we should be all over that like a cheap suit as he could be the best number 9 weve had since Shearer and would be an absolute legend in black and white

Other option is we say fuck FFP see you in court and say Hello Kylian...........this scenario is 1000 times less likely than us getting Osimhen though

Out of interest, how many sides in the league have 3 proper centre forwards? Our main issues are that Wilson is made of glass and Isak is always guaranteed spells out too, and the inflexibility of the rest of our front line. Nobody else can really do a job up top. Could really do with a couple of players who are comfortable across the front 3.

All really just boils down to whether Isak can figure his fitness out. Eddie didn't spend the massive fee for alex expecting him to only play half our games. Callum's going into his 15th season next year. He's here to sub on for 20 minutes and score one if we need the instant offense. Probably need another warm body that's a natural striker who can slot in, but obviously there's no money, or space on the team, for anyone of repute.

It's time to take the plunge and start to bed in the youngsters and loan outs.

Ben Parkinson maybe needs to be thrown right into the deep end and see if he can turn into a young goal getter.

It almost seems like we've bought a sick note in Isak. Hopefully it's just a case of adapting and ironing out the issues, injury wise because he's a phenomenal player.

Wilson, as has been said, is a bit part player anyway but certainly a very useful impact player.

There's a few ways to look at this.

An early season set back whilst plugging on for a while and a late surge when all players are fit and basically ready to go as fresh starts for the run in when other club's player's start to be crocked.

All is not lost as of yet so I'll keep the faith and hope for the season.

7 hours ago, The College Dropout said:

Every time he gets injured - replace him 

3 bad games on the bounce - replace him

No respect for a player with more league goals than Marcus Rashford, Ollie Watkins, Darwin Nunez, Dom Solanke, Evan Ferguson, Gabriel Jesus, Eddie Nketiah, Diogo Jota, Calvert-Lewin, Nicholas Jackson, Nkunku, Richarlison. 

Fucking Cameron Archer cost £25m. Gabby Jesus £45m. Nunez £80m. Rasmus Hojlund £80m. 

But aye us with glaring holes in the squad and FFP limitations. Let’s easily replace Callum Wilson. 

edit: 25 goals in 41 league appearances- many off the bench - since the start of last season. Only bettered by Haaland and Kane.  Put some respect on his name please. Get better quickly lad. 

Brilliant post, some of the comments and disrespect towards Wilson here are beyond a joke.