Callum Wilson

Strawberry

8 minutes ago, Nucasol said:

I think he’ll have to come to the hard realisation that he’s going to be one of three now rather than one of two. Fantastic player but super noodle hamstrings mean we can’t rely on him when we’re a Europe chasing team. Particularly when Isak has had his travails with injuries too.

Completely agree. I don't necessarily see this being fully addressed in Jan (it’ll be hard to find the right player) but definitely next summer. Wilson assuming he stays should gradually become the 3ed option.

2 minutes ago, Jordan said:

Think we were very naive to go into the season without buying a third choice striker. Wilson and now Isak are starting to show that you can’t rely on them for a full season. 

How many teams who play 1 up front have 3 in the squad that are Premier League capable?

2 minutes ago, HaydnNUFC said:

Not one PL side has 3 recognised first team quality strikers.

Not this again. Do other PL sides rely on 2 strikers made of glass and virtually no other suitable alternative, even at youth level? 

Gordon was good there against Man U. But, it was Man U :lol: really struggled there tonight and got shifted early on. Wasn’t effective against Dortmund, either. 

Even someone that would be more of a wide player and cover as a striker was obviously required and I think plenty banged that drum in the transfer window. Hardly surprising we’ve ended up in this position. 

Edited by Lush Vlad

Just now, Jordan said:

How many have their two options as injury prone players? 

I think Isak's just been unlucky, he's not had many problems before joining as far as I know. Fair on Wilson, he's a problem for sure with this many fixtures, his body just can't take it. 

3 minutes ago, Lush Vlad said:

Not this again. Do other PL sides rely on 2 strikers made of glass and virtually no other suitable alternative, even at youth level? 

Gordon was good there against Man U. But, it was Man U :lol: really struggled there tonight and got shifted early on. Wasn’t effective against Dortmund, either. 

Even someone that would be more of a wide player and cover as a striker was obviously required and I think plenty banged that drum in the transfer window. Hardly surprising we’ve ended up in this position. 

Fully agree.

Just now, The Prophet said:

Is Isak made of glass?

I don’t think he’s made of glass like Wilson where you know you can’t rely on him for three games a week but he does seem to pick up a lot of short term injuries. 

Just now, The Prophet said:

Is Isak made of glass?

Based on his time here, he is. Before that, not so much. 

Signed with a niggle. Looked ok, came back and was then fucked with his thigh, so then missed 3-4 months from memory? 

Played with a knee injury for a good few games this season and was noticeably off the pace. Groin niggle, came back early, fucked again. 

Hardly a picture of health. I suppose you could argue that it is more the exception to the rule. But then the other way, he has struggled to stay fit in this system and in this league. 

1 minute ago, Gallowgate Toon said:

I don't think the knee thing is that fair. Players play through that type of stuff all the time, and he was still very effective while not being at his explosive best.

I might be wrong. But I’m sure Howe alluded to him playing through it and that he wouldn’t have been playing, if it wasn’t for needs must. Very out of character for Howe to say stuff like that. 

So no, I disagree there. Everyone said how much more off it he looked and it got more and more strapped every week. 

He is top class. But you do wonder with his frame and his game being about dribbling and pace. 

Hopefully I am massively off the mark and being OTT. But it’s ‘worrying’™️ 

21 minutes ago, Lush Vlad said:

I think the answer is we need a forward - as I mentioned the other day - the type Liverpool have with Gakpo and Jota (even Nunez) - players that you are not relying on to play just 1 position, but all 3 up top AND have the ability to play all 3 with ease 

4 minutes ago, Matt1892 said:

Then you get rid of one of the injury prone players and replace them with someone who isn’t.

I wouldn’t get rid of either fwiw. Wilson has a tremendous scoring record and both are best in the league. I just think we need to sign an older type of player who can come off bench occasionally and fill in when the two of them are injured. 

Just now, Jordan said:

I wouldn’t get rid of either fwiw. Wilson has a tremendous scoring record and both are best in the league. I just think we need to sign an older type of player who can come off bench occasionally and fill in when the two of them are injured. 

Like who?