Callum Wilson

Strawberry

Guest reefatoon
3 minutes ago, Geordie Ahmed said:

Ah nah, Wilson

Gordon played the right pass and I get why strikers are so one minded but I see how a simple pass across from Wilson would have almost certainly resulted in a goal 

I can totally understand why Wilson shot, as it was a really good chance. He just didn’t take it well at all. Was a crap effort.

7 minutes ago, Geordie Ahmed said:

Ah nah, Wilson

Gordon played the right pass and I get why strikers are so one minded but I see how a simple pass across from Wilson would have almost certainly resulted in a goal 

Gordon's pass was perfect. Wilson had a shot saved by a flailing leg. Everyone can do better in hindsight.

Its a pity he didn't score, not because it would have majorly affected the result, but because we could have seen the paragon of virtue and fair play that is Liverpool Football Club not time waste or do any kind of sportsmanship in closing out the game with a precarious one-goal lead.

As it was we merely got to see Fabinho, who committed the worst unpunished tackle of the season but didn't get a ban.

Guest reefatoon
9 hours ago, TRon said:

Gordon's pass was perfect. Wilson had a shot saved by a flailing leg. Everyone can do better in hindsight.

It was saved with an arm wasn’t it.

Guest reefatoon
8 minutes ago, TRon said:

Ok.

Bit of a snotty reply. I just thought he saved it with his hand not his leg. The shot was at the best height for the keeper to palm it, which Wilson should have done much better with.

8 minutes ago, reefatoon said:

Bit of a snotty reply. I just thought he saved it with his hand not his leg. The shot was at the best height for the keeper to palm it, which Wilson should have done much better with.

Beating the keeper isn't an exact science. It's about instinct, judgement in a split second, and of course the keeper will have his own part to play. It might just have been a really good save. Obviously Callum could have just put it where the keeper wasn't in hindsight. Hit it with your right! Hit it High! etc.

Guest reefatoon
10 minutes ago, TRon said:

Beating the keeper isn't an exact science. It's about instinct, judgement in a split second, and of course the keeper will have his own part to play. It might just have been a really good save. Obviously Callum could have just put it where the keeper wasn't in hindsight. Hit it with your right! Hit it High! etc.

For me, he put it at a height where the keeper was able to save it with his hand.  Do you not think it was a missed opportunity? Your striker needs to be putting those chances away. Thought it was a really weak effort personally.

Edited by reefatoon

2 minutes ago, reefatoon said:

For me, he put it at a height where the keeper was able to save it with his hand.  Do you not think it was a missed opportunity? Your striker needs to be putting those chances away. Thought it was a really weak effort personally.

I said already if I was going to pick a fault maybe he could have lifted it a touch.But he's a high class finisher, he doesn't usually get much wrong so I wouldn't fret about such details since every striker in the world will get some shots saved or even miss the goal altogether.

Yes let me repeat, he missed it the right way.

The idea of Wilson or Isak starting doesn't really stand up as they are such different players. Isak is better when the play brakes up and he has space to run into from deeper very similar to ASM. Wilson is more of a penalty box predator. Wilson is a CF, Isak an auxiliary or second striker like Joao Felix. If we insist on playing Isak as a CF nobody will come out of it looking good.

2 minutes ago, Gallowgate Toon said:

It was a wank finish and I'd keep him on the bench for now too. Isak is a better overall footballer and needs gametime - he's part of our long-term future and Wilson isn't.

Isak and Maxi look like they might be developing something too.

Wilson's obviously off the ball and the poor finishing isn't really forgivable but I do feel for him a bit. He spends most of the time doubled-up on by CBs (a weakness of the system) and it's just doing nowt for him or the team. Would be ideal if we could get them both strikers in the team; Bruno and Joe as the double-pivot with three of Maxi, Isak, Miggy and Gordon off Wilson. 

12 hours ago, TRon said:

When I say if you were ever a forward/striker I mean in real life not Champ Manager or whatever it is called these days.

Always a bit cringeworthy when a football fan invokes whatever dogshit level they themselves played at to try and add gravitas to their opinion. I don't think plodding around up front in Sunday league gives you any great insight mate. 

Guest reefatoon
17 minutes ago, TRon said:

I said already if I was going to pick a fault maybe he could have lifted it a touch.But he's a high class finisher, he doesn't usually get much wrong so I wouldn't fret about such details since every striker in the world will get some shots saved or even miss the goal altogether.

Yes let me repeat, he missed it the right way.

Hhmm, feel he misses quite a few chances myself. I don’t think he is as prolific as he should be.

Also don’t agree he missed the right way either. Think he made the keeper make the save quite easily with where he placed it. He should have done so much better with it. Was a bad miss.

1 hour ago, Joseph said:

Always a bit cringeworthy when a football fan invokes whatever dogshit level they themselves played at to try and add gravitas to their opinion. I don't think plodding around up front in Sunday league gives you any great insight mate. 

So what makes you think your opinion is offering some great insight? Are you Harry Kane ingognito? In which case yeah, I guess your views on why it was a bad miss might hold more credence. But Harry blasts a few over the bar as well.