Callum Wilson

Strawberry

When I look at the way he bullied two top centre backs, in Gabriel and White at the end of last season against Arsenal.  It is like watching a different player.  The physicality isn't there, the runs in behind, the deceptively quick pace he often shows.  He just looks flat in his all round game and also flat footed when the ball comes into the box, as well.  

It must be that he has been playing within himself because of an injury or long Covid is actually a thing for him and not just an assumption.  I've read a few places saying that he has barely been able to fully train since returning from the world cup?  Is there any truth in that? 

Just now, Optimistic Nut said:

Think there's an element to this like. Not saying he's downed tools or anything but lost some of his hunger I reckon.

He doesn't seem anywhere near as 'in your face' as he did before. It genuinely does feel like he's a different player to a few months ago: slow, pushed around, almost meek.

6 hours ago, Lush Vlad said:

When I look at the way he bullied two top centre backs, in Gabriel and White at the end of last season against Arsenal.  It is like watching a different player.  The physicality isn't there, the runs in behind, the deceptively quick pace he often shows.  He just looks flat in his all round game and also flat footed when the ball comes into the box, as well.  

It must be that he has been playing within himself because of an injury or long Covid is actually a thing for him and not just an assumption.  I've read a few places saying that he has barely been able to fully train since returning from the world cup?  Is there any truth in that? 

I haven't read that, but if that's true that does throw into question why the hell Isak has only started 3 matches since he returned to full training on 2 January.

My first and only critique of Howe since he's been in charge has been the handling of bedding Isak into the team post Christmas. Have to persevere with him now.

15 hours ago, HaydnNUFC said:

I haven't read that, but if that's true that does throw into question why the hell Isak has only started 3 matches since he returned to full training on 2 January.

My first and only critique of Howe since he's been in charge has been the handling of bedding Isak into the team post Christmas. Have to persevere with him now.

Howe himself said recently that consistent training has been an issue. I wonder if his slump in form continues the rest do the season they might re-evaluate his situation moving forwards. I know he has a special relationship with Howe but there can be no time for sentiment to keep the club moving forward. Or I wonder if he becomes more of a 3rd choice, impact type player from next season?

18 minutes ago, ExiledGeordie said:

Howe himself said recently that consistent training has been an issue. I wonder if his slump in form continues the rest do the season they might re-evaluate his situation moving forwards. I know he has a special relationship with Howe but there can be no time for sentiment to keep the club moving forward. Or I wonder if he becomes more of a 3rd choice, impact type player from next season?

He has to be imo and it's not only his current form, but the fact that he has struggled to play over 50% of games in his time at the club. Whether he would accept that though is a different matter. 

16 minutes ago, et tu brute said:

He has to be imo and it's not only his current form, but the fact that he has struggled to play over 50% of games in his time at the club. Whether he would accept that though is a different matter. 

I can see Wilson adding experience to a striking department and rotating in for games but I just don’t see him being able to start regularly next season going off what we’re seeing currently. 

Up until recently when he has been on the pitch for us he has been massive, if his current form continues long term I would also be happy to see him drop down to third choice next season, like the poster above says whether he would be happy with that is a whole other thing. 

As fond as I am of this current team for us to push on to the next level I think we will need to be pretty ruthless, it will be tough as we need to also keep the team spirit, should be a very interesting summer window. 

5 minutes ago, Tisd09 said:

Up until recently when he has been on the pitch for us he has been massive, if his current form continues long term I would also be happy to see him drop down to third choice next season, like the poster above says whether he would be happy with that is a whole other thing. 

As fond as I am of this current team for us to push on to the next level I think we will need to be pretty ruthless, it will be tough as we need to also keep the team spirit, should be a very interesting summer window. 

Yeah that balance between keeping team spirit and and progressing will be interesting to watch. I think there’ll be bug changes in the summer though. Almost feels like it could be the start of the next phase. 

I do wonder if we can/or want to pull off that true "marquee" signing. Obviously Bruno was massive for us especially at the time but probably not the one to full turn heads of others. Champions League football would be huge but I think we will fall short of that given current form. Either way what a ride we are in for the next few years.

You'd hope that Wilson will begrudgingly accept that he's unlikely to get a much better situation going forward than being an impact sub for a top six team.

Given his injury history, what level of team is going to sign him with the idea of him starting regularly?

2 hours ago, Shak said:

You'd hope that Wilson will begrudgingly accept that he's unlikely to get a much better situation going forward than being an impact sub for a top six team.

Given his injury history, what level of team is going to sign him with the idea of him starting regularly?

Forest? :tobey:

Got a bit of stick on here after the WC for saying that we needed to think about moving Wilson on in the summer. I thought he gave it all to get into the WC squad and now that he has we'd see a decline, and we have, massively. He's 32 during next season and is already looking a yard or two off pace. I'd happily keep him if he's happy with a squad role but I'd still like another young striker to be in the mix with Isak as well. 

4 minutes ago, TheInfiniteOdyssey said:

I really don’t think the club would envision Wilson playing the role as a third-choice striker. Ashworth would look to sell him and generate funds if that’s the case. 

I dunno, I'm not sure he will start in the Premier League or be purchased by a PL team with that in mind. So unless he wants to drop down the leagues...

6 minutes ago, AyeDubbleYoo said:

I dunno, I'm not sure he will start in the Premier League or be purchased by a PL team with that in mind. So unless he wants to drop down the leagues...

I think if Ashworth were to put Wilson on the market for the fee that the likes of Ings, Wood etc. have went for recently, we would have interest.

Isn’t he out of contract next summer? I think he’ll be sold this summer, based on nothing mind.

We could definitely generate a decent fee for Wilson if we could get £15m for Wood. Even a striker who is injury prone would be worth a punt from clubs at the lower end of the table, assuming he hasn't been totally ravaged by Covid long term. He's still only 31, should still have a few goals in him.

I don't find it too far fetched that he has a bit of a world cup hangover. He gave everything he had and played out of his mind to make that team, then didn't get to play much at all even in games were he could arguably have been a useful change. It's got to be hard to finally achieve one of your biggest life's dreams and career goals, not get to play, and then come back to your day job and give it 100%.

Would never suggest he's intentionally giving less than 100% mind, just that I wouldn't be surprised if he's a bit down in general after that experience.

Edited by Miercoles

Not sure I buy it. There are plenty of times where it looks like he is putting effort in. He just looks slow, heavy legged and weak compared to his usual self. So can’t perform to a level that helps the team. 

I don’t look at him and think he is loafing about or not trying. He just looks physically nowhere near where he needs to be. 

Then again. I guess the mental could be affecting the physical. Whether that is because he is protecting himself to get through 90 minutes and week to week, worried about yet another injury so not fully opening up or a world cup hangover, like you mention. 

Whatever it is. Bar a few spells in games where he has looked class. He has looked miles off it, in general. 

7 minutes ago, Miercoles said:

Yeah I don't think he's loafing it, I just think he's lost some edge.

We are also providing him absolutely no service, of course.

He's still getting more or less as many big chances per game as he was pre-World Cup.

For whatever reason he's just not at it at the moment.