Callum Wilson

Strawberry

Burn doesn’t carry a great deal of ‘fret’ but he is extremely reliable positionally, great with all his defensive work and as has been mentioned, does release the ball really accurately. His passing isn’t quite Botman-level but I’ve been very impressed by that side of his game 

2 minutes ago, Hanshithispantz said:

I've never seen Burn live, but yeah, I've been to plenty of football matches? [emoji38] The camera is focused on essentially every headed challenge though so I'm not really seeing how being there gives you a uniquely better vantage point in judging players in the air.

We push up the pitch and he forms a back 3 in possession, him and Botman comfortably deal with the majority clearances 5towards the centre/left of the pitch which is one of the reasons we can maintain our position up field. Put Targett in there and that aerial superiority is massively reduced.

Spot on.

I'm sure tgarve spotted it live but our press effectively encourages the opposition to play long and by having 3 CBs instead of two, we end up winning everything that comes through the air.

I actually noticed Villa targeting Trippier in the first half yesterday, for that reason.

1 minute ago, gbandit said:

Burn doesn’t carry a great deal of ‘fret’ but he is extremely reliable positionally, great with all his defensive work and as has been mentioned, does release the ball really accurately. His passing isn’t quite Botman-level but I’ve been very impressed by that side of his game 

Spot on. He's not playing left back to be Roberto Carlos, he's playing in an A-Symmetrical formation where our right hand side pushes forward and our left side tucks in. 

From the point of view of his technical ability as a CB he's more than comfortable.

Burn won't get into the squad cos Southgate, rightly or wrongly*, has built a club vibe in the England set-up and he won't want to make a 'new signing' right before the tournament. He's got his favourites (aka his trusted players who've collectively built the most successful unit in generations) and I don't see anyone who's never even been to St George's Park getting involved at this point. 

*rightly

1 minute ago, Kid Icarus said:

Honestly think one of Burn's strengths is how technical he is for a player of his size in his position. You can tell he's been playing for Brighton.

He can control it well , I just think he’s slow on the ball 

8 minutes ago, STM said:

Spot on.

I'm sure tgarve spotted it live but our press effectively encourages the opposition to play long and by having 3 CBs instead of two, we end up winning everything that comes through the air.

I actually noticed Villa targeting Trippier in the first half yesterday, for that reason.

I wasn’t trying to be a cunt I just was saying some of these things I noticed at the game , I do rate him as a player aswell , I just think he’s good in a system like we have but for England for example would be well exposed 

Just now, tgarve said:

I wasn’t trying to be a cunt I just was saying some of these things I noticed at the game , I do rate him as a player aswell , I just think he’s good in a system like we have but for England for example would be well exposed 

It's a good point like, Southgate is tactically poor so he's never going to be able to use players in the way Howe does. Even then, if we play 3 at the back I don't think we have any obviously better options for the LCB position?

35 minutes ago, tgarve said:

Calvert Lewin???

Rashford I understand- DCL has started about 4 games in 2 years 

Assuming DCL is able to demonstrate his fitness over the intervening games, yes I'd take him, simply because he is virtually unstoppable in the air. If time is running out and we need to sling the ball forward quickly that would be a very handy option to have. Other parts of his game are decent, but that's what gets him on the plane.

Rashford I don't see as an out and out striker, and I'd choose other options out wide. Toney and Watkins look limited technically.

Abraham is the other possibility, but I haven't seen much of him recently.

18 minutes ago, Hanshithispantz said:

It's a good point like, Southgate is tactically poor so he's never going to be able to use players in the way Howe does. Even then, if we play 3 at the back I don't think we have any obviously better options for the LCB position?

he'll have been watching us this season and taking note hopefully.

40 minutes ago, Yorkie said:

Burn won't get into the squad cos Southgate, rightly or wrongly*, has built a club vibe in the England set-up

*rightly

* wrongly, in my opinion 

It is not a club set up, in that they aren't together all the time or going through training for most of the year since that happens at their actual clubs. They have no loyalty to each other outside of the tournaments.

Worse, it breeds complacency in those who are picked regardless of skill or form at club level, and makes it pointless for players who are on form but not part of the cosy little club. It also makes you less likely to win a tournament, by not having your best players there.

I'm sorry, but you pick the best team on current form, not on emotional attachment. And then, as England manager, your MAIN JOB is to then mould whoever that is into a team and create that spirit. Not to decide on your team first and then try and work on their weaknesses after in a few crucial weeks.

Quite honestly, if Harry Maguire ends up going to the World Cup instead of Dan Burn (who plays in two positions as part of the league's best defence), then the hopeless wazzock needs a good paddling.

Admittedly, I should have said something about Callum Wilson in this thread. 

He's not had a long run in the team to see what he's like then. He has the talent, just hasn't had the run of games to consistently find his groove.

Steve Watson in commentary on Radio Newcastle yesterday said that Wilson is clearly the next best option for Kane. But that, selfishly, he'd rather he didn't go and stayed fit for Newcastle. Which is exactly what I think too.

But, you know. You can't be selfish about these things as it's his dream to be called up. So, through slightly gritted teeth, on balance I hope he goes. And then tears the tournament up.

Edit: it would also be quite something, for our team spirit as well, if Pope, Burn, Trippier and Wilson were all on the plane.

Edited by Abacus

13 minutes ago, Abacus said:

* wrongly, in my opinion 

It is not a club set up, in that they aren't together all the time or going through training for most of the year since that happens at their actual clubs. They have no loyalty to each other outside of the tournaments.

Worse, it breeds complacency in those who are picked regardless of skill or form at club level, and makes it pointless for players who are on form but not part of the cosy little club. It also makes you less likely to win a tournament, by not having your best players there.

I'm sorry, but you pick the best team on current form, not on emotional attachment. And then, as England manager, your MAIN JOB is to then mould whoever that is into a team and create that spirit. Not to decide on your team first and then try and work on their weaknesses after in a few crucial weeks.

Quite honestly, if Harry Maguire ends up going to the World Cup instead of Dan Burn (who plays in two positions as part of the league's best defence), then the hopeless wazzock needs a good paddling.

If he goes into the World Cup with the same strategy and we do poorly then fine, he can be judged on that. But up to now he's been totally vindicated. People were calling for Sterling and then Kane to get dropped and Southgate made a complete mug out of everyone.

But yeah, re Wilson, he's surely got as good a chance as anyone. 

I think he’ll go with Kane, Abraham and Rashford. I know Wilson has been in the squad before but I think he’ll go with his more tried and tested players. I’d be surprised if any player not involved in the fold is taken to the WC. For him to even have a chance I think he’s got to do the same to Southampton and maybe even Chelsea to give him a shot. 

I also agree with point that Burn missing out is a bigger tragedy than if Wilson misses out. Burn is miles better than some of the centre backs that seem to get minutes for England. 

Listened to the first couple of episodes of his podcast as they came out, then didn't listen again until just a few weeks ago. Comes across so well. 

The latest episode, they ask him if he thinks Newcastle will stay in the top 4. He talks about needing to keep this up until the World Cup, he doesn't want the break but recognises along with Antonio that a lot of teams will have to get back up into gear very quickly. Wants European football, but sees Europa League as missing out on Champions League, however he would take whatever European football he can get. Very ambitious comments on the subject of European qualification.

Obviously wants to go to the World Cup but will keep working hard if this doesn't materialise. Antonio points out that statistically speaking, he is right up there behind Kane as the best English striker but unlucky with injuries.

Quite a pragmatic guy. Was hoping he'd stick the boot in on Bruce when they were asked about Gerrard leaving and Villa bouncing back with a big win over Brentford. Antonio says he heard players had a problem with Gerrard's attitude, not footballing philosophy. Wilson stayed quite quiet to be honest.

Spoke about his goal against Tottenham. Said if it happened inside the box, he'd half expect the foul to be given against him. Said VAR tried all ways to stop the goal but he didn't see what he had done wrong as Lloris had charged out, just knew he had to take the shot as quickly as he could before opposition got men back on the line. Says his left foot deserves way more recognition. :lol: