Callum Wilson

Strawberry

I don't see Wilson holding the ball up much or bringing others into play. That's not how we play. Wilson hardly touches the ball, which the strikers of old did.

What Wilson does do is occupy two center halves and still make incisive runs that evade them. When he does, his finishing is usually top notch.

To finish with a stat, his xG90 this season is higher than Kane, Mitro, and Jesus. In the little we saw, which included a penalty, Isak was very high too.

Wilson is capable of hold up play though and infact when he does it he's I extremely good at it. This is by far Wilsons best shot at a World Cup and certainly his last shot at it, I really hope he continues to smash in the goals for Newcastle and gets in the squad.

England have this issue with Kane all the time, there's no plan B because they plan all their attacking around Kane. Toney or Wilson for England make the most sense as they can do a bit of everything .

2 hours ago, mouldy_uk said:

I’m sorry but selfishly I don’t want him anywhere near that England squad, prefer he is wrapped up in cotton wool for 3 weeks as he’s our most important player at the moment. 

Naa. If he makes it, it means he's been fully fit for us (and scoring) in the run up to the WC. After it Isak should be back.

My response response here is possibly tied to my response in the favorite player thread. I hope that both Wilson and Joelinton are asked. Probably better for the club’s league campaign if both sit out the World Cup. But I don’t give a damn.

Looking forward to watching Trippier, Pope, Schaar, Bruno, and anyone else that earns a call up.

Would be brilliant if any of them get called up for their respective countries. 

The danger to our own progress will be more than overcome by the positivity these players will have, the added notion for prospective additions that NUFC players can and will be in the spotlight but mainly that the fact there is this recognition means we're consistently up there. 

Win, win

Edited by Groundhog63

9 hours ago, Geordie Ahmed said:

Saying he's the best is one thing but shits on is absolutely ludicrous

Wilson is superb, do hope he gets to go to the World Cup even if it's better for us to have him rested 

It's probably an exaggeration borne out of me thinking Wilson doesn't get the plaudits and adulation that Ba got, when for me he's well clear of Ba as a centre forward.

5 hours ago, mouldy_uk said:

I’m sorry but selfishly I don’t want him anywhere near that England squad, prefer he is wrapped up in cotton wool for 3 weeks as he’s our most important player at the moment. 

I know what you mean, but it's out of our hands. I think he'll go as the third striker behind Kane and Calvert-Lewin. He will offer something a bit different.

I wish he'd shut up about the World Cup though.

5 hours ago, mouldy_uk said:

Same - but also because if Southgate was to do the right thing and take him, he would never look to use Wilson right or effectively. Probably shove him out wide in the odd game to keep his Kane up top on his own system, or perhaps don't even use him. The fact he recently took an in-form Toney to a friendly and didn't even give him a chance when we've been crying out for goals says a lot. Southgate will stick to his favourites.

Edited by hakka

2 minutes ago, Cronky said:

I know what you mean, but it's out of our hands. I think he'll go as the third striker behind Kane and Calvert-Lewin. He will offer something a bit different.

He shouldn't be anywhere near the England team if it's done on merit properly. Bloke has been out of the game and form for a year?

Really hope he goes. Hope all our players start getting into their international teams tbh, it's the peak of a players career and we should be a club that players are looking at and saying "If I go there, I'll get noticed by my national team coach".

Based on this season Pope, Burn, Trippier should all be going. Think Burn will be far more reliable than some of the others that have been selected, plus he can cover two roles. We took fucking Mings to the last one.

2 minutes ago, hakka said:

Based on this season Pope, Burn, Trippier should all be going. Think Burn will be far more reliable than some of the others that have been selected, plus he can cover two roles. We took fucking Mings to the last one.

Burn is poor with the ball in the air and slow on the ball. Can’t see him making the squad. One of the worst headers of a ball I’ve ever seen! 
Strong passionate and a good tackler but just not technically good enough I think

15 minutes ago, Cronky said:

Calvert Lewin???

Rashford I understand- DCL has started about 4 games in 2 years 

1 minute ago, tgarve said:

Burn is poor with the ball in the air and slow on the ball. Can’t see him making the squad. One of the worst headers of a ball I’ve ever seen! 
Strong passionate and a good tackler but just not technically good enough I think

Burn is poor at attacking the ball, he's very effective in the air defensively though.

13 minutes ago, Hanshithispantz said:

Burn is poor at attacking the ball, he's very effective in the air defensively though.

He’s not he jumps at the wrong time and his headers go everywhere. Noticed this at the game yesterday - have you been to a live game? 

35 minutes ago, Kid Icarus said:

It's probably an exaggeration borne out of me thinking Wilson doesn't get the plaudits and adulation that Ba got, when for me he's well clear of Ba as a centre forward.

Ba still pips Wilson for me. He got like 16 in 20 in 2011/12 and another 13 before Christmas in an abominably shit team the following season; plus did a brilliant job as a wide forward after Cisse arrived. He scored every type of goal and had strength, pace, flair. As a CF he's certainly the most reliable goalscorer post-Shearer.

There's not a lot in it though. They'd have been class in the same team.

Ba, Wilson, Remy, Rondon, Carroll - all consistently good. Suppose the big tick for Wilson is his longevity. I can see him playing out his career here whereas that other lot were all short term. 

I've never seen Burn live, but yeah, I've been to plenty of football matches? [emoji38] The camera is focused on essentially every headed challenge though so I'm not really seeing how being there gives you a uniquely better vantage point in judging players in the air.

We push up the pitch and he forms a back 3 in possession, him and Botman comfortably deal with the majority clearances towards the centre/left of the pitch which is one of the reasons we can maintain our position up field. Put Targett in there and that aerial superiority is massively reduced. Sounds daft (given Targett is quicker) but we'd be much more susceptible to punts over into the opponents right wing.

Edited by Hanshithispantz

22 minutes ago, tgarve said:

Burn technically not good enough? :lol:

For a CB he's bloody excellent on the ball and even more so when you compare him to Maguire, Mings and Co.

At the very least he's a reliable, versatile defender and should be on the plane.