Callum Wilson: back in full training

Strawberry

Didn't seem to be at the races tonight but he battled away well and 75 mins or so in the tank won't do him any harm. The graft and the press and the endeavour were all spot on.

Hopefully now we have an alternative genuine goal threat option in Isak we can manage his minutes accordingly and he can go on another one of his scoring runs.

57 minutes ago, Pilko said:

Didn't seem to be at the races tonight but he battled away well and 75 mins or so in the tank won't do him any harm. The graft and the press and the endeavour were all spot on.

Hopefully now we have an alternative genuine goal threat option in Isak we can manage his minutes accordingly and he can go on another one of his scoring runs.

Looks like he’s lacking some zip still after recent illness bur hold up play at times awesome. 

18 minutes ago, TotalWar said:

I always appreciate how tough it is to play as a centre forward in this team and system. Wilson, and Wood come to that, spend most of the game isolated and has to do a heck of a lot of chasing in the channels (the role of a modern centre forward I guess). When he receives the ball he often has to hold it up for seconds before someone joins, or he has to create something himself like a free kick, corner etc.

This is without even thinking of how much pressing he does.

I have a feeling that Isaak, if hes got a similar goal scoring ability, may be better at this role than Wilson. Time will tell.

I'm of the opposite opinion.

Wilson is a seasoned CF, 30 years old, played through the footballing pyramid. He's much more experience and knack than Isak at being a CF. From the little i've seen of Isak - he needs to learn the dirty side of the game.

1 minute ago, The College Dropout said:

Wilson is a seasoned CF, 30 years old, played through the footballing pyramid. He's much more experience and knack than Isak at being a CF. From the little i've seen of Isak - he needs to learn the dirty side of the game.

I also think Isak doesn’t love receiving the ball with a defender right on his tail. I think that’s why he drifts wide so he can get the ball and turn easily. Very different skill set to Wilson. Both incredibly useful.

Aye, tend to agree.  You can tell Wilson has come from the lower leagues and just loves that side of the game.  When you watch him live, it looks like he's close to throwing hands with centre backs.  Always niggling at them, tight where they're both pulling each others shirts, getting his body in the way and buying free kicks.  He's really good at it.

He looked a lot better on the highlights than I gave him credit for.  Was involved in loads of our decent chances and some quality centre forward play.  

14 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

He needs to get stronger too which he will. They’ll have him on a strength and conditioning programme and he’ll learn from Wilson and others and from game experience itself. 

16 minutes ago, Lotus said:

I also think Isak doesn’t love receiving the ball with a defender right on his tail. I think that’s why he drifts wide so he can get the ball and turn easily. Very different skill set to Wilson. Both incredibly useful.

Aye. You can tell just by his body positioning and body language. When the ball is played up to him he is kind of upright and focussed on the ball. When the ball is played up to Wilson, he's in this half squat body position with his bum right up the defenders body to keep the defender away from the ball. He's trying to back up the defender, it's a real wrestle before the ball is at Wilson's feet. Then you can see he's already thinking about trying to win a foul, hold it up etc. It doesn't always work - especially because of his size but he gives himself the best chance to succeed.

Isak also seems a nice bloke who has a had a good/quality footballing upbringing. But not that rough side of the game. He is a skinny lad but I think it's more mentality and experience than a physical limitation.

4 minutes ago, sixx said:

Maybe it's because of inevitable comparison to Wood but his hold up play is extraordinary. 

He's actually a more complete striker than I cared to realise. Great finisher, good in the air, strong, quick, great gold up play, quick, good dribbler, great movement, just top drawer.

51 minutes ago, Thumbheed said:

He's actually a more complete striker than I cared to realise. Great finisher, good in the air, strong, quick, great gold up play, quick, good dribbler, great movement, just top drawer.

That's what pissed me off in the lead up to the World Cup with people like Neville essentially saying he's just a good poacher. 

Just absolute shite tbh. Love his all-round game and i think he's due a goal or two in the next 3 games. 

46 minutes ago, GeordieDazzler said:

Unlucky with that chance before half time. The take and turn were exceptional. Felt he should have just laced the finish.

Almost felt like he was surprised it'd worked and couldn't change what he'd planned to do. Keeper read it well mind.