Football governance

Nobody

Just now, jackyboy said:

It gives the so called self appointed big six even more financial clout, buy all the best players available and make it impossible for anyone to break into their club. It is easy to imagine these big six doing all in their power to stop the takeover of NUFC because it might threaten them.

Aye - Staveley's comments after it fell over all make even more sense now tbh.

If it does go through with the teams currently involved, it's not even an interesting league :lol: Who the fuck cares about watching Juventus - Spurs? It's three countries at the moment, half the teams from England :lol:

Just now, Rosenrot said:

So as I understand it the PL cannot kick the clubs out as that requires a 75% majority, which the 6 can block.

It will need governmental intervention.

I'm not sure I'd be that confident in Governmental intervention after their dismal attempts to influence our takeover.

1 minute ago, Miggys First Goal said:

Just over 10 hours until Liverpool’s meaningless game with Leeds.

Surely it still can’t go ahead. 

If it does go ahead, it would be a powerful action if Leeds refused to play in protest.

Just now, Minhosa said:

I'm not sure I'd be that confident in Governmental intervention after their dismal attempts to influence our takeover.

Well, actual legislative intervention. Parliament could abolish the PL if necessary.

1 minute ago, Rosenrot said:

So as I understand it the PL cannot kick the clubs out as that requires a 75% majority, which the 6 can block.

What's the talk from the Italian and Spanish FAs/League associations? Are they as livid or have they capitulated? 

1 minute ago, Rosenrot said:

Can't make sense if they're breaking the rules of the charter they've agreed to or whatever.  Which this must do.

I’m no law junkie but I wonder if it falling foul of competition/cartel law somehow would actually be the best way to put the dampeners on it all.

Either way the intent is there and it absolutely stinks.  

Just now, TheHoob said:

Have they massively underestimated the backlash from this or do they just entirely not give a fuck? 

Possibly a bit of both. There's definitely an arrogance to it all, probably assuming just brave the storm it'll settle in the end. Which in fairness, even I feel like might happen. That all rests on this being genuine and not just a tactic to get more concessions. 

1 minute ago, TheHoob said:

Have they massively underestimated the backlash from this or do they just entirely not give a fuck? 

They don't give a fuck.

They clearly don't even give a shit about their own fans.

1 minute ago, mrmojorisin75 said:

Can't make sense if they're breaking the rules of the charter they've agreed to or whatever.  Which this must do.

On Talkshite this morning they were saying there is a specific PL rule prohibiting clubs from joining leagues without approval from the PL. 

Does anybody think it's just a negotiating position?  There are a few in the media saying it (Pat Nevin, Greg Dyke both said it during my drive in to work this morning).  Seems a bit full on to me - doesn't leave them a lot of room for subsequent manoeuver and is a hell of an opening salvo (unless it's been playing out quietly for months and months, of course - I haven't been keeping up).

Edited by OpenC

Just now, TheHoob said:

On Talkshite this morning they were saying there is a specific PL rule prohibiting clubs from joining leagues without approval from the PL. 

Exactly.  They 75% thing will be for normal ops, not when 6 teams are actually breaking the rules of membership.  Get them to fuck.

The choice that UEFA + The National Associations have to do is: will they concede to the clubs' demands at the cost of basically losing their power over the game, opening the door for future similar endeavors, destroying the game as we know it; or taking the hit that will come on short term, at the cost of saving the game as we know it, keeping their integrity, and possibly even better making those competitions even more interesting now that the balloon-like teams filled with foreign money are out?

1 minute ago, TheHoob said:

Yes I heard presenter quote rule L7 , I think she said, but was only half listening.

1 minute ago, OpenC said:

Does anybody think it's just a negotiating position?  Seems a bit full on to me - doesn't leave them a lot of room for subsequent manoeuver and is a hell of an opening salvo (unless it's been playing out quietly for months and months, of course).

That was my feeling initially, then they seemingly pulled the trigger [emoji38] can't help but feel there must be something else going on, in just seems so genuinely fucking mental.

1 minute ago, jotenko said:

The choice that UEFA + The National Associations have to do is: will they concede to the clubs' demands at the cost of basically losing their power over the game, opening the door for future similar endeavors, destroying the game as we know it; or taking the hit that will come on short term, at the cost of saving the game as we know it, keeping their integrity, and possibly even better making those competitions even more interesting now that the balloon-like teams filled with foreign money are out?

:memelol:

1 minute ago, jotenko said:

What you would see is clubs resting players for PL games like they do with the FA Cup. What value is the PL title then, when the biggest names have only made a half-arsed effort?

It's probably the end for the PL as we know it, which may be no bad thing.

Man this has pissed me off more then I thought it would, the whole system needs to be scrapped and started again, fans have been manipulated for years claiming they have the best deal, when in reality the working man gets shafted time and time again, and the already rich pricks get richer. People like Sky, UEFA, BT, and the Prem, where all too happy to let this happen while it benefited them, but as soon as they're on the back foot they cry foul. Fuck the lot of them, the corrupt dicks.

2 minutes ago, jotenko said:

Of course, we all know that the governing bodies of football are bastions of integrity, transparancy and fairness....

I bet someones been to Asda and bought a shitload of brown envelopes.