Football governance

Nobody

I know he' s also been criticised for his part in Project Big Picture but watching that Gary Neville rant was akin to watching Keegan's 'love it if we beat them' interview or a promo out of WWE. Would have been better with a few swear words in it to make it proper Attitude era style promo.

Edited by nufcjb

10 minutes ago, OpenC said:

He was right and spoke well but Gary Neville was just doing for Sky what hairy hands did for Bein during our takeover (imo)

He owns a football league club don’t forget - this affects him hugely and personally

I still reckon Bayern, Borussia Dortmund & PSG will be the other 3 regular clubs. 

The first two will secretly be wanting in but will try to seem like they’re against it because of the fan model, before eventually joining.

The Qataris are all pally with UEFA/FIFA so again couldn’t just walk away without looking like they’re against it.

11 minutes ago, Optimistic Nut said:

I still reckon Bayern, Borussia Dortmund & PSG will be the other 3 regular clubs. 

The first two will secretly be wanting in but will try to seem like they’re against it because of the fan model, before eventually joining.

The Qataris are all pally with UEFA/FIFA so again couldn’t just walk away without looking like they’re against it.

Porto according to Talksport

I started reading this from page 27 this morning after seeing the news on the BBC and reading about the mystery unnamed three. Was convinced that a Saudi owned NUFC would have been unmasked as one of the three by the time I caught up :lol:

Edited by OpenC

1 minute ago, OpenC said:

I started reading this from page 27 this morning. Was convinced that a Saudi owned NUFC would have been unmasked as one of the three by the time I caught up :lol:

Would be very NUFC to be rid of Ashley, have a new ridiculously wealthy owner, only to immediately join this shower of shite.

1 minute ago, frankpingel said:

Would hope each of the "big six" fans will refuse to attend these new league matches thus totally reducing them as a spectacle.

They'd just pack their bags and play matches around the world. That's their aim.

Edited by nufcjb

Wonder what the league looks like this season without the 6 and voiding all their games? 

PL need to stay strong, award Leeds 3pts tonight and a shot across the bow, then look to expel the 6 teams and reshuffle the leagues. Regardless if this gets sorted I’d make them start at the bottom of the pyramid and having to work their way up, with only 2 going up in the conference a few will be stuck down there for a while (Spurs & arse)

Previously, when there's been talk of a breakaway league, I've been very nervous, but this time I feel different. Mainly because I think the breakaway clubs would be making a mistake, and the remaining league would have the better product long-term.

The mentality feels a bit like the one behind Brexit or Scottish independence - they think that the only thing that's going to change is what they want to change ie the money coming in.

I can't see the long-term attraction of what would amount to be an exhibition league, divorced from any connection with other leagues or international football, and the history behind it. And clubs like Arsenal and Liverpool, who are used to success, would currently be at the bottom of this new competition. Is that what their fans want?

I watched the last 15 minutes of Arsenal v Fulham. Okay, Real Madrid and Juventus would offer a higher standard of play, but if Real and Juve end up away from the top of the new league, who would be bothered to watch what would effectively be a friendly game?

The Arsenal game was riveting, because Fulham are desperate to avoid relegation, Arsenal are chasing a European place, and of course my team have an interest in the result too. That sort of situation isn't going to happen in an EPL.

So let this new league see how they can stand on their own two feet, with no access to international football or any other competition in the game. The rest of us can then form another competition worthy of the name.

Can't get over how spot on Wullie was about the group stage. These big games will become duds in weeks when they realise you can't manufacture the intensity that football has always created due to season long battles and heartaches, knockout stages, all of it. 

1 hour ago, Optimistic Nut said:

This time yesterday I’d have been looking forward to Leeds v Liverpool tonight. Tough game for a club trying to finish top 4 and qualify for the Champions League again. Now though, it is absolutely irrelevant.

Which is a great point - there's no pressure on Liverpool, Arsenal, Spurs or Chelsea to get in top 4 now. They can rest players in the league or blood in younger ones because all they need to do is sit in the Premiership, try to win the ESL.

1 hour ago, toontownman said:

As if. You know Masters would be "I'm tired and I'm going to bed. Can we talk about this in the morning please."

Its probably and more predictably going to be a day of grovelling trying to find a compromise with these teams. Hope it's the opposite and jettisoning them. 

Which morning, though?

Kick them out this week

No relegation this season 

Top 5 Championship clubs promoted 

The next 4 continue with the playoff system 

Same down the pyramid

I'm actually looking forward to the fall out from all of this, I wonder how the other countries involved are feeling. 

7 minutes ago, hakka said:

Which is a great point - there's no pressure on Liverpool, Arsenal, Spurs or Chelsea to get in top 4 now. They can rest players in the league or blood in younger ones because all they need to do is sit in the Premiership, try to win the ESL.

This is my thought.  Prem need to be smart and aggressive on this, they've spent decades building the league into the biggest product in world football domestically and suddenly winning the prem doesn't matter a fuck to getting in the biggest Euro tournament, the SL teams are gonna inevitably play more weakened team and probably hoover up more talent creating two sqauds.