Other games (2021/22)

Yorkie

3 minutes ago, joeyt said:

That Atletico red was ridiculous, ref has looked like he's wanyed to be the star of the show all night

I suppose if its the law, then fair enough. You cant be allowing players to straight up ignore the referee when theyve been called multiple times. Then gesture towards him. Football's bad enough for dissent from players, if theyre willing to stamp out blatant disrespect I'm for it.

I know I'm probably in the minority here but I fully support the referee sending that Atletico Madrid player off. I watch a lot of cricket and rugby too and I've always been bewildered by how little regard and often open hostility there is towards referees in football from players. I don't know if it's an education thing (footballers can barely spell GCSE let alone possess one), maybe it's plain ignorance or arrogance but it's got nothing to do with agreeing or disagreeing with the referee's decision, they're never going to change their mind (unless VAR steps in) so why can't footballers just walk away instead of being so aggressive? The referee is in charge, they're far from perfect of course, they'll get decisions wrong but you'd never treat someone who works in a shop like that or some other job because you disagree. Surely it's basic human decency. Maybe this will be a watershed moment? Players would soon stop being dicks if more red cards are dished out, you'd have thought. 

Edited by number37
I spell like a footballer

Guest neesy111

If your gonna send off players for that then focus on then be consistent with it.  And there's the issue, refs like tonight's one just wanting to be star of the show.

Guest neesy111
4 minutes ago, Pata said:

:lol: It was not for dissent. Ref thought Felipe stepped on his achilles which IMO was 100% accidental and yellow would have been enough.

That's a joke, has it been confirmed?

Edited by neesy111

Just now, neesy111 said:

If your gonna send off players for that then focus on then be consistent with it.  And there's the issue, refs like tonight's one just wanting to be star of the show.

Yeah, I agree about the consistency and I hope this is the start. Perhaps a Champions League match at Anfield is a good opportunity to showcase this kind of thing, not that you should have to "showcase" correct behaviour. 

Out of all the retired referees they could get, it's amazingly tragic that Dermot Gallagher, Peter Walton and Mark Clattenburg are the public mouthpieces of an entire profession. 

Although, having said that, the Soccer Saturday lot are hardly a glowing endorsement of retired footballers. 

Anyway, back on topic: fuck you, Luis Suarez.