In memoriam

James

I remember his transfer like it was yesterday. It was huge news and there was also the Clough factor. I’ve still got the Top Trumps with him in it.

When he scored the winner against Malmo we found out about it while waiting to come home from Chicago. It was the 1st DC10 flight out of O’Hare following the crash there. That was a pretty surreal experience, they had an engineer literally jumping up and down inside one of engines as we prepared to board.

Sad and shocked

He played before my time but like Dalglish when I watch them back they were sumptuous beautiful football players.

Took Sheffield Wednesday down to the last minute of the penultimate weekend of the 91/92 season with a shout of the title and tried, often succeeded, to have them play in his style too.

Francis purchase by Clough was the begining of multi million pound transfers, we thought crazy paying that for a footballer, but here we are £100 million for Rice ! not a patch on Francis .

Came  across a nice amenable bloke .

3 minutes ago, Pokerprince2004 said:

According to twitter Chris Bart-Williams has also died tonight aged 49. Awful day for Sheffield Wednesday. Remember him fondly in the 90s

R.i.P gentlemen :sad:

Ah crap. 90s legend. 49 jeez. RIP to both Wednesday legends.

When we were kids playing football, even though we were all Villa fans (and to Blues fans TF was a very very big deal when we were growing up) we used to try to recreate famous goals (like Phoenix from the Flames on Fantasy Football). 

The one we struggled to nail was Francis’s European Cup final goal, not just the goal but the gambol after. 

2 hours ago, toontownman said:

Ah crap. 90s legend. 49 jeez. RIP to both Wednesday legends.

And Forest. 

Always feels a bit more real when it’s someone you’ve seen play a few times.

It always saddened me that Francis wasn't a more prominent figure in the game in his later years given what he achieved as a player. I also didn't appreciate the mocking he received from Simon Jordan for his spell at Crystal Palace. 

Chris-Bart Williams just gives me pure nostalgia at pulling his name out of packet of Premier League stickers. 

Both will be sadly missed. RIP.