In memoriam

James

12 minutes ago, Kid Icarus said:

Motson was a poor commentator towards the end of his career, but he was THE voice in the '90s for me and I thought he was great.

He's the voice of 80s football more than the 90s. A true legend of the English game. RIP Motty.

One of my fav moments of commentary in the 90s was I believe Motson when Asprilla scored 2 goals in quick succession v Metz (the game with the shirt on the corner flag) and the way he said “it’s Asprilla again” I’d watch it over and over again 

RIP Motty

1 minute ago, Kid Icarus said:

Aye that's why I said for me :thup:

To be fair, he was a legend for at least 3 decades, starting with the 70s. Doubt there will ever be another like him. He was literally THE voice of football for a very long time.

10 minutes ago, Dokko said:

Couldn't stand him. Chiles levels of shitness. 

RIP though. 

From about the mid-90s onwards he was a complete parody of himself. Actively ruined my enjoyment of so many games.

May he rest in peace.

6 minutes ago, Kid Icarus said:

Hadn't realised he was only 77 as well. I was expecting him to be at least 10 years older. 

Yeah, he was only 26 when commentating on the Hereford game v NUFC in 1972. Had an "old" voice right from the off.

Just googled Barry Davies and he is still around, thankfully. You could convincingly say he was the other voice of football alongside Motty but, due to his more relaxed style, probably won't be as easily remembered.

RIP but I had no time for his biased histrionics, I was at Hereford that shite day so the annual repeat of his commentary every third round day did not endear him to me. Having said that there were and are a lot of even worse pundits and commentators.  

Edited by Choppy Chop Chop
Spelling

32 minutes ago, Sima said:

Of course. First clip.

I've never been bothered about the Radford clip being shown so often. In fact it's a back-handed compliment, and a sign of how big we were back then and how much of a deal it was to beat us. There have been loads of similar upsets since then but they don't get shown like this one does.

For context, when this game was played NUFC had won three more trophies than Liverpool and were equal on trophies with Man Utd. However it wasn't until 1968 that Man Utd finally went ahead of NUFC on trophies won for the first time. Not once in their history had they won more trophies than us before 1968, and not once before 1977 had they won more domestic trophies. It's a testament to how badly run the club has been over the best part of the last 50 years.