Elliot Anderson

joeyt

2 minutes ago, Andy84 said:

Anderson has had a loan already and has shown he’s ready for the first team squad. Plus I think with the amount of games we’re going to need him 

Yeah he does look ready for this season. I know pre-season isn’t always the best judge of a player but he’s looked really sharp and strong with clinical finishing. 

22 hours ago, Skeletor said:

I'm glad he's been doing well in pre-season but the acid test is how he does in the league. Haris Vuckic used to look amazing every pre-season before dwindling away when the season started for real.

Aye, I know what you're saying and the proof will be in the pudding but I think Elliot Anderson's matured to a high degree in such a short time and has always done well when called upon and showed a basic fearlessness for the first team.

But, yeah, you do have a point.

We'll need him, and Miley too. I think the last time we were in Europe, injuries forced Krul and Carroll into the fold. That was Europa, but still the turnaround of games will mean increased injuries and rotation.

If he stays and gets 2000+ minutes that’s great. But another season under 1000 minutes and his career is being mismanaged.  

The ends justify the means. If he gets loaned out. Comes back and is relied upon for minutes and performances. Great.  
But staying and wasting his career is not it. 

2 hours ago, Matt1892 said:

It would be harsh on Anderson but I don’t think it would send out a wrong message to those in the youth set up, if anything it demonstrates there is a plan for developing youth players through loans which is already happening with Minteh, Kuol and about to happen with Ashby.

The issue with Anderson is he should have gone out in January but didn’t as we sold Shelvey without a replacement, so there is a feeling of obligation to keep him because he didn’t go out then, despite it now probably not being the best thing for either him or the club.

My biggest concern is that he stays, hardly gets any real game time and the club outgrows him over the next few years anyway where he isn’t even good enough for a squad player, with us handling his development that badly he isn’t even worth much in terms of a transfer fee either.

You’d be handing over his coaching to likely lesser coaches.

Also, he’ll definitely get a lot of mins for NUFC this season.  

22 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

If he stays and gets 2000+ minutes that’s great. But another season under 1000 minutes and his career is being mismanaged.  

The ends justify the means. If he gets loaned out. Comes back and is relied upon for minutes and performances. Great.  

Where do those numbers come from?

1 hour ago, The College Dropout said:

This is the issue, much like Ashby he needs games to develop and not just brief sub appearances. He played a total of 395 minutes of league football last season and with the additions of Tonali and Barnes it is going to be much more difficult for him to get the minutes he needs. 

I know he’s come back fit and sharp pre season but when everyone is up I speed he’s likely to be sixth choice midfielder at best.

Wasting his career is the crucial point, as if he continues to be a bit part player then the club will outgrow him.

He's been used both centrally and out wide by Howe, meaning he can potentially play across three positions. He's shown glimpses (given his limited minutes) of abilities our squad lacks in terms of his creativity and composure in front of goal. I see a real chance he breaks into the first team over the course of a long season. I think he's already forced his way into the conversation and Howe most likely kept him around last season in case of an injury crisis. This season we're playing far more games, so I'd be very surprised if his minutes don't improve. He looks ready.

4 hours ago, ExiledGeordie said:

Yeah he does look ready for this season. I know pre-season isn’t always the best judge of a player but he’s looked really sharp and strong with clinical finishing. 

Obviously that will be tested more when the competitive games start against elite defenders, but even so he looks at least as ready as many of his higher profile team mates. The same can also be said of Miley tbh, and while we should be careful not to get carried away, there's no reason not to look on these guys as first team contenders now.

As much as I like Anderson I don’t like how he defends and recycles the ball when we’re defending in our own half. That left CM has to be Joelinton or Willock for their ability to get us up the pitch. Anderson is excellent pressing in the final 1/3 of the pitch but I don’t see us tilting the pitch to that end our first handful of games this season given our opponents. 

some players need loans, others need to stay and train with the first team and get the odd first team appearance.

Just look at Pep and he certainly develops their kids in different ways.

suppose its the individual players needs and also their expected ceiling.

6 minutes ago, huss9 said:

some players need loans, others need to stay and train with the first team and get the odd first team appearance.

Just look at Pep and he certainly develops their kids in different ways.

suppose its the individual players needs and also their expected ceiling.

Kane had several loans didn’t he before finally finding his feet 

He's 21 in November. Needs to be in and about the first team now, and he's looked good enough to compete with Willock and Joelinton in pre-season so deserves a chance. If it's true that he came back fitter than anyone else then even more so. It's kind of a make-or-break season for him really imo. 

33 minutes ago, AyeDubbleYoo said:

Since Shola only has the phone numbers of two Scottish clubs, I’d be tempted to keep Anderson here. 

Harsh.

He has discovered Holland recently and I’m confident he will discover Germany soon as a result. 

Id argue you have to keep Anderson to train in our style of play under our manager. If he’s going out on loan I’d send him to Holland or France and get him playing regularly there for a side in Europa or something. 

We need some under 21's  for strength in our squad, as 2 of our 25 are Ritchie and Dummett.

I don't see how some find this such a hard concept to grasp. 

It's why signing players like Livramento and Lewis Hall would be such a fantastic idea. They wouldn't take a spot in the 25 so we would be able to have a much stronger squad overall.

It's Anderson as an option, or having one less player available.