Elliot Anderson

joeyt

On 07/09/2023 at 17:24, gbandit said:

Injury? He had quite a few niggling injuries last year that slowed his progress. Let’s hope it’s fairly benign 

Don’t think there’s anything wrong with him tbh. Reckon he’s been tapped up by England and dropped out

On whether he's spoken to Newcastle midfielder Eliot Anderson about playing for England, Kieran Trippier said: "In pre-season he was unbelievable.

"It was good for him last season to stay with us, gain that experience and not go out on loan.

"He's a young lad with great potential. Obviously we've had talks but ultimately it's his decision."

Southgate makes a rod for his own back. By playing oaps in the team instead of blooding in young talent. Now Anderson and Barnes are looking at Scotland what could he say to change there minds? Your in our plans but not until Henderson hits forty. 

1 minute ago, andycap said:

Southgate makes a rod for his own back. By playing oaps in the team instead of blooding in young talent. Now Anderson and Barnes are looking at Scotland what could he say to change there minds? Your in our plans but not until Henderson hits forty. 

Despite getting us our best tournament positions for a long time, there's always a cluster of players included or excluded unfairly it seems.

Lets be honest in the two tournaments we done well in. we could of won if we had a better manager at the helm. The italy game in the final oldest backline in history yet we knick a goal and sit back for the rest of the match. Should of terrorised them with our wingers

35 minutes ago, andycap said:

Lets be honest in the two tournaments we done well in. we could of won if we had a better manager at the helm. The italy game in the final oldest backline in history yet we knick a goal and sit back for the rest of the match. Should of terrorised them with our wingers

We've had better managers who've failed to progress in tournaments, so I don't think that's necessarily right.

17 minutes ago, The Prophet said:

We've had better managers who've failed to progress in tournaments, so I don't think that's necessarily right.

We have a top team he doesn't know how to change things up soon as the tide turns against us. 

6 minutes ago, andycap said:

We have a top team he doesn't know how to change things up soon as the tide turns against us. 

The Southgate debate has been done to death, but there's a reason he's one of England's most successful managers.

He's tactically limited and his favouritism is becoming worse over time, but his tournament record is very good.

Hardly a huge achievement for Southgate to get England into the 2018 semi-finals. Finish second in the group to Belgium and then beat Colombia and Sweden.

Would have been outrageous to not reach the semis. Agree that the debate has been done to death but let's dispense with the 'one of England's best ever managers' trope.

He's extremely average and limited, a corporate FA suit.

I don’t think he’s a corporate FA suit, I think he speaks really well on a lot of issues and is a decent person. I think he’s brought the England squad together in a way that many managers massively struggled with in the past. His issues are with team selection and tactics, neither are making the best use of the players 

1 hour ago, Novocastrian said:

Hardly a huge achievement for Southgate to get England into the 2018 semi-finals. Finish second in the group to Belgium and then beat Colombia and Sweden.

Would have been outrageous to not reach the semis. Agree that the debate has been done to death but let's dispense with the 'one of England's best ever managers' trope.

He's extremely average and limited, a corporate FA suit.

Couldn't agree more.  Well put.

56 minutes ago, gbandit said:

I don’t think he’s a corporate FA suit, I think he speaks really well on a lot of issues and is a decent person. I think he’s brought the England squad together in a way that many managers massively struggled with in the past. His issues are with team selection and tactics, neither are making the best use of the players 

The point being, England will have a multitude of staff.  Coaches, fitness gurus, dieticians etc.  They all contribute to the comeraderie of the team not just Southgate.  So I think you are being over generous in your assumption "he's brought the squad together".  You just have to look at the Newcastle backroom staff.  Southgates job as you say are team selection, tactics and formations of which he is extremely average and that's me being kind.

Southgate needs to step aside. Let a manager with fresh ideas come in and let new players get a chance. As an England supporter there's no way we should be letting Scotland have Elliott or Barnes. Henderson's international career should have been over the second he went to the Saudi league to play kick about with Stevie G.

Edited by Skeletor