Elliot Anderson

joeyt

15 hours ago, Joelinton7 said:

Solid pre season for him. Has looked good today and has grown in confidence as the game has gone on. 

Hopefully he takes that form into the league though players who play well in pre-season sometimes struggle to carry it through. Be mint if he scores in the first couple games to really get his confidence up. Looks like he could be a real player, dare I say “like a new signing” 😂

I still think the ideal scenario is for a year on loan somewhere where he'll be one of the first names on the team sheet every week.

Even if he has taken the step forward we think he has, I think he'll struggle to get a lot game time.

I'd expect he'll play primarily in the LCM position, perhaps sometimes at LW. The competition for those spots is going to be Willock, Joelinton, Barnes and Gordon. Even if the plan is to use Gordon on the right a lot, Anderson probably isn't starting many games of the two Joes and Barnes.

Ideal scenario is probably a year on loan at a top Championship side who play a similar style to us. Meanwhile, we bring in a RW, even if it is a loan initially.

DM - Bruno + Miley

LCM - Joelinton + Willock

RCM - Longstaff + Tonali

LW - Gordon + Barnes

RW - Miggy + New Addition

CF - Isak + Wilson

Think that would be a very nice group for the year.

I just think that right now we have a lot of players who I feel confident in playing on the left... and far fewer I feel that way about on the right.

Lots of versatility there, players who can play a number of roles. Means that we could afford to send Anderson out and let him get used to being a regular starter, rather than a bit part player.

Also, I do think that Anderson taking the step forward we all hope he does might mean that either Joelinton or Willock could end up being sacrificed to the gods of FFP in summer of 2024.

If ASM going was hard to take, either of those two would be far harder IMO.

Edited by Shak

8 minutes ago, Shays Given Tim Flowers said:

It all makes sense but think he’s going to have a breakout year with us.

I hope so but I just don't see him getting the game time.

Willock injured, Barnes and Tonali still settling in and Anderson absolutely playing out of his skin in preseason.

Yet I still don't expect him to start next weekend. Only going to get tougher for him to get playing time too.

Wouldn't be surprised if he gets loaned out right at the end of the window, when Willock will hopefully be close to being back.

Anderson should be going to Howe and telling him that he wants to go out on loan.

Despite being one of our best players pre season he was only brought on in injury time so Tonali could get a round of applause. 

I feel sorry for the lad.

1 minute ago, Matt1892 said:

Anderson should be going to Howe and telling him that he wants to go out on loan.

Despite being one of our best players pre season he was only brought on in injury time so Tonali could get a round of applause. 

We need him, but it's hard to see him getting many games.

Fortunately we'll have a lot so he'll get the majority of LC/FA with some PL after CL nights.

It’s a shit situation for Elliot, good situation for us. Even with the European and cup games where he’ll quality minutes I’d be screaming for a loan for my own development if I was Elliot. He can’t afford to have mostly sub appearances at his age 

I quite like the idea of hitting cup early rounds with a team made out of the likes of Anderson, livermento, longstaff, willock - that seems like a strong setup. Also  I don’t think we should loan him out personally as we’re gonna have a lot of games and three games are gonna run on a lot longer with the new rules so let’s not get ahead of ourselves after one good win.

Totally against him going on loan.  Having a strong bench/backup is crucial.  The first 11 know they need to perform or someone will replace them - that’s the culture at e.g. Man City and what we should be aspiring to. 

There will be certainly opportunities for Anderson from September once we begin playing twice per week combining PL, CL and Carabao.  Followed by busy Christmas schedule then FA Cup run.

33 minutes ago, Matt1892 said:

Aye, he's going to love playing at Blackpool away on a freezing October Tuesday night while we're rocking up at the Bernabeu or wherever. :lol:

Doesn't need a loan, he's going to have a far greater experience this year than 40 games in the Championship will give him. 

35 minutes ago, Optimistic Nut said:

Aye, he's going to love playing at Blackpool away on a freezing October Tuesday night while we're rocking up at the Bernabeu or wherever. :lol:

Doesn't need a loan, he's going to have a far greater experience this year than 40 games in the Championship will give him. 

I think he’s capable of playing in a bottom half Premier League side this season on a regular basis so it doesn’t have to be the Championship.

Playing against the top teams in the league on a regular basis will be much better for his development than sat on the bench in the Champions League, if he can’t see that then he hasn’t got the mindset to reach his potential anyway.

He'll get plenty of minutes this season.

We'll find it difficult to play with that intensity throughout the whole season without getting injuries or just generally being knackered. Anderson will be frustrated but he'll play plenty this season

Are loans necessary? Look at City integrating Foden. He never went out on loan. He got more matches every year. Same with Arsenal and Saka. Same with Rashford and Grealish. 

If Anderson gets 25-30 games this year like last year, I think that’s enough minutes for him to develop. Let him earn his place in the lineup. 

After Willock's setback, I'd be very surprised if he goes out on loan now.

Had Willock been back to 100% by the end of the window I'd have thought there was a fair chance Anderson would go but we really need him now IMO.

once he was on thje tempo definitely changed, didnt seem to have a lot of the ball but his positonal play seemed to open things up. Look forward to seeing him play more this season and get on the score sheet when it matters

I thought he offered a lot. I still think his only issue is what position he slots in. I don’t think he’s shown enough previously at CM to start, while Almiron’s pace and Gordon’s price make them more of a lock on the wings.

I don't think it's a coincidence that our period of pressure and greater coherence going forward coincided with the introduction of Anderson. Starting to show a real maturity to his game, as well as win me over re: his suitability for a more central role

He can play CM for us but it definitely has to be the most advanced role. I don’t think you want him picking it up in our own half because he’s a risk taker in possession.

One thing I love, and I noticed it in pre-season too, is that he’s not afraid of shouting at the senior players and telling them when/where to press. He clearly understands that part of the game very well.