Joe Willock

I think he’s levelled up this season and next season he’s going to be a real force.

Sounds like he was homesick for a while but is loving it here now. And he’s got Isak as his best mate now too. 

I think he could be big for us 

Edited by LV

I have to say he’s become the player I thought he’d be after we had him on loan but even more. The way he bosses around midfield with his pace and strength is really something. Brilliant player. More to come from him. Gutted he’s hurt, he ran himself ragged for the cause. 

Was just looking at some of our players on FBref, and I didn't quite realize just how influential Willock had been this season:

image.png

Edited by 54

If he can find consistency in converting his finishing he will become a next level player. He has time and the right staff around him to do it.

Could also see him ending up similar to Arsenal being replaced by someone that does and becoming a squad player. I'm rooting for option A though. He is so likeable and deserved his success.

1 hour ago, 54 said:

Was just looking at some of our players on FBref, and I didn't quite realize just how influential Willock had been this season:

image.png

Love it when the numbers back up what you've thought you watched all season.

He really should have had 6-8 more goals this season, so many good chances he has blazed over the bar,

if he can work on his finishing then he will be class, already very good

• 2 weeks later...
On 28/05/2023 at 16:05, 54 said:

image.png

It’ll hopefully come but he really should’ve scored more goals.

He has 3 goals from 7xG this season which is just terrible :lol:. If he hits his xG next season we’re cooking.

7 minutes ago, AyeDubbleYoo said:

His finishing is so erratic, TBF it's often on the end of some sort of lung-busting run.

I think it’s become psychological for him. I remember a miss this season where afterwards Isak kind of came across to reassure him afterwards. The rest of his game is so full of confidence now but his finishing has prevented him from becoming top level so far.

Hopefully next season he starts well and progresses from there. He looked majestic at times towards the end of the season and I really enjoyed watching him.

Bulked up over the season as well. He kinda looks like a throwback to a mid-00s Brazilian flair player now.

Edited by Smal

It's scary to think about how good this season would've been if Willock and Longstaff were a bit more effective. Could add 2023 Almiron to that list, but he scored way above his xG before christmas.

6 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

This does play a part. He needs to slow down before taking his shots, make sure he's in the right body shape.

I'd say same goes to Almiron as of late. Need to be more calm when finishing.

Just now, Erikse said:

I'd say same goes to Almiron as of late. Need to be more calm when finishing.

With Almiron his thing is confidence. He'll never strike a ball particularly cleanly consistently or become a composed finisher. But with confidence as we've seen, he can score goals. Same with Willock really. He needs a few to go in consecutively and then the confidence will flow in.