Joe Willock

Feel like he needs to fill out a bit and become a bit more physically imposing if he wants to become a good PL midfielder. At the moment, I'd say he's a decent one.

Don't think he's technically gifted enough to ever be someone you play through in attack but with his finishing ability I could see him turning into a good all-action midfielder who chips in with half a dozen goals a year from CM.

He'll probably get a fair bit of stick in the coming months as he's going to be playing a lot of football and will be a weak link in the team, simply because we've added some really good players and the gulf in quality between our top players and the next tier is quite wide. Ideally, Willock would be like the 5th choice CM but we're not there with the squad yet.

1 minute ago, Shak said:

Feel like he needs to fill out a bit and become a bit more physically imposing if he wants to become a good PL midfielder. At the moment, I'd say he's a decent one.

Don't think he's technically gifted enough to ever be someone you play through in attack but with his finishing ability I could see him turning into a good all-action midfielder who chips in with half a dozen goals a year from CM.

He'll probably get a fair bit of stick in the coming months as he's going to be playing a lot of football and will be a weak link in the team, simply because we've added some really good players and the gulf in quality between our top players and the next tier is quite wide. Ideally, Willock would be like the 5th choice CM but we're not there with the squad yet.

:thup: 

That being said, felt like yesterday was the first match in ages where he looked bother. Completely ran out of steam towards the end like Joelinton and Longstaff did, but yesterday he was really working his socks off. That being said, I see Willock as someone to bring in off the bench against tired legs. Basically what Jacob Murphy is doing right now, but with 10x more quality. 

Just now, NE27 said:

Honestly think little Joe is the perfect super sub. He gets gassed playing a full game and last night he was struggling near the end.

Aye, give Anderson a start and bring Willock on instead of Murphy as the late(r) sub.

Bit like Ritchie minus the pointing and shouting. Runs loads, work-rate definitely stepped up, but just not good enough for what we’d like in there even as back-up. Putting things in perspective though it says a lot to how far we’ve came in such a small amount of time with the quality we’ve brought in along with some other players showing their true potential since Howe’s came in and worked his magic. Makes those players, which were useful at times, and maybe even considered some of our best options look out of place and not good enough for our squad now. 

In terms of potentially being a goal scoring midfielder, Joelinton started from a less promising position than Willock and lol at where he is. In 3 years time I’m hopeful Willock can be a big part of this squad and not go the Dele Alli route

2 hours ago, KaKa said:

He's never in position to play anyone in or get a shot off. He's just completely lost out there. Longstaff who was playing deeper managed to find that great position to play Isak in for a wonderful goal. However, if you look back at it, that position is exactly where Willock should be really. Instead he is way out on the left for some reason.

Have you considered that it might be because Howe is asking him to track back a lot more? It's been pretty noticeable that in the second half of last season we've been seeing Willock playing a lot deeper, sometimes defending in our own penalty area, he covers a hell of a lot of ground. In fact that is the problem, he's usually absolutely spent after 70 mins. We really needed to get him substituted by then, but Howe wanted him to stay on. Maybe because he didn't think we had an alternative who could cover that much ground.

57 minutes ago, TorchyTBB said:

There is a player in there somewhere, but he is a coward, he doesn't even try to win a 70/30 tackle in his favour.  If he stops ducking out of tackles he'd be 100% more effective.

I think this is the real reason why a lot of fans don't like him. They want to see players who are going in hard for the tackles regardless of what else he does. Personally I think the modern game is more about closing down and you have to balance it with what else a player brings to the table. I think Willock is pretty good with the ball and he got us into some good positions in the first half with clever footwork and passing.

That's not to say he's top class though, he clearly isn't, neither is Longstaff. But they're what we've got for now, and I thought both put in a great shift yesterday.

I thought he had one of his better games but he is not a hard grafting central midfield ball winner, in fact I am not entirely sure what position he fits in how Howe wants to play, I would honestly be tempted to try him out wide if only as an alternative to Murphy not that i;m suggesting he will be ideal for it

19 minutes ago, TRon said:

Have you considered that it might be because Howe is asking him to track back a lot more? It's been pretty noticeable that in the second half of last season we've been seeing Willock playing a lot deeper, sometimes defending in our own penalty area, he covers a hell of a lot of ground. In fact that is the problem, he's usually absolutely spent after 70 mins. We really needed to get him substituted by then, but Howe wanted him to stay on. Maybe because he didn't think we had an alternative who could cover that much ground.

No manager is telling any midfielder to not be in position to ever get on the ball and try to influence the game.

Every other player in our midfield seems to manage it, including those that have played in that same position when he doesn't start.

Come on man. I know you like him, but that's silly.

1 hour ago, KaKa said:

No manager is telling any midfielder to not be in position to ever get on the ball and try to influence the game.

Every other player in our midfield seems to manage it, including those that have played in that same position when he doesn't start.

Come on man. I know you like him, but that's silly.

Don't blame me, it's Eddie Howe who is picking him. I'm just giving reasons why he might be doing so. I just said I'd prefer a top class midfielder instead.

Why are people wanting  him to be given a chance to play in a number of positions? What would he bring to those positions? Because he runs around at times seems to be the only praise directed at him.After 34 games I’ve seen very little evidence to suggest he should be in the team.I also question his desire when it comes to courage ( blocking shots which could leave a nasty sore leg 😡

For Liverpool’s winning goal,Salah causes all the problems at the back post.Willock is marking him.Well he was until the corner was taken.I didn’t see a player giving it his best shot at defending his goal.Our weak link,and weak when you need to be strong mentally and physically.

Edited by tomlynnherrington

3 hours ago, Tiresias said:

I thought he had one of his better games but he is not a hard grafting central midfield ball winner, in fact I am not entirely sure what position he fits in how Howe wants to play, I would honestly be tempted to try him out wide if only as an alternative to Murphy not that i;m suggesting he will be ideal for it

He is good in a counter attacking side, where he doesn't have too much responsibility.  The same as he was under Bruce and how ASM was often used.    

I think he is great at getting us up the pitch from deep with the ball and making those late runs off the ball into the box.  It just seems like he now has a more defined role and he isn't particularly effective in doing it.  He presses well, like most of the team do.  But then that has seemed to take away from the attacking side of his game and when he has a bit less space to work in, he isn't that good on the ball with his passing or decision making.  

I actually really like him and what he brings, a lot of the time.  But he now looks almost a bit positonless in this current 4-3-3 and I'd argue might even be the weakest link of our strongest starting XI.  Which is why I have been so keen on getting another centre mid in, over a wide player.  Willock can be ineffective and Longstaff isn't really a great deal better.  Leaves us with the Brazillian boys and an injured Shelvey, who I don't rate that highly, either. 

Agree with many in here. He’ll be useful in away games or when the opponents push up. 
Would’ve thought he’d offer more last night given that but I think he was wary of leaving holes in midfield behind me if he made some runs. 
Also, unfamiliarity with Isak.

He is athletic but lacks in technical ability and passing which goes hand in hand many times. Good in transition at times. I don’t see him having a long term future with us. As a squad player at best I imagine. He’s ok for now to have around. I like him but just don’t think he has what it takes for where we are aiming and how we are trying to play. 

2 hours ago, Ikon said:

He is athletic but lacks in technical ability and passing which goes hand in hand many times. Good in transition at times. I don’t see him having a long term future with us. As a squad player at best I imagine. He’s ok for now to have around. I like him but just don’t think he has what it takes for where we are aiming and how we are trying to play. 

Very good post

On 01/09/2022 at 09:48, KaKa said:

He's never a central midfielder that is for absolute certain.

He loves making those forward runs and when in position to do so can put the ball in the net. Honestly, I wish at this point we'd try him in that wide right position.

I'd rather see Almiron at RCM and Willock RW at this point. Think both would benefit.

Aye. Good point. I think Willock could play the RW similarly to how I expect Isak to. Making us look something like this in attack: Trippier and Almiron being interchangeable.

ASM   Wilson  Isak  Almiron

Targett  Joelinton Bruno   Trippier

-----------------------------------

Botman   Schar

Pope            

Patient possession based build up down the right, with Almiron and Trippier, direct running at the defence on the right with Targett and Joelinton as insurance. 

That looks pretty 

On 01/09/2022 at 10:31, TRon said:

I think everything is being considered, tbf. Even if everything isn't mentioned within a post. What you say is obvious to anybody watching our games, at least 2 of our goals have been conceded with him in the position you mention. I ,might curse him at the time, but my complaint is actually that he is being asked to play a role that he is not quite able to do. It's not a criticism of the player, simply an observation on the functionality of our set up and team selection.

Having said that, it won't take much for people to start blaming him personally for not being as good as Bruno.

On 01/09/2022 at 10:32, Menace said:

This dude needs a breather but we don't have the depth for it currently. He looks exhausted and I don't blame him, mostly plays full 90 too.

Definitely. He's started every game and played at least 70 mins in each of them. Adding up the minutes he has been rested from substitutions tells us he has missed only 71 minutes of our total game time.

Interesting fact. Liverpool is the first game in which we conceded late on, it is also the first time Willock has been asked to play 90 mins.

Edited by Happinesstan

The role/position he is in just isnt working 

Seems like a lovely guy but I do wonder if the amount of instruction, responsibility and detail Howe likely gives him is too much for him. He thrived under Bruce likely because he could do whatever the fuck he wanted and was played mainly in advanced positions. 

He just doesn't seem to gel in that pocket next to almiron, tripps and schar. He is what we have though until Bruno is back at least. Maybe put him wide and almiron central. He is at his best a bit more advanced though. Really doesn't seem to suit playing from deep and can't break away too much when Schar is pinging balls over him. Wouldn't move Joey from where he is either but maybe that's an option.

We know there is a player there but it's not one that fits in our team very well right now.