Glenn Roeder (1955 - 2021)

Guest neesy111

Of my best Toon experiences was under Roeder. Just turned 22. Absolutely full of zest. Got a megabus to London.

Eurostar to Brussels. Arrived at 10pm, nee hotel booked, had 350 Euros in my pocket. Was a bit sketchy around the train station, and thought: "why didn't I book a hotel?"

Was getting a dash worried, and walking around and finding way too expensive. Finally found a snide place for 35 Euros. Very basic, TV didn't work, but it was clean, and got plenty of sleep before the next day. Met me pal next morning around the Eurostar around 9am, and off we went to Gent to play Zulte Waregem.

From my memory we were playing in Gent, as Zulte Waregem stadium wasn't up to standard for European football. Absolutely incredible day. We got there for Midday and it was a hall of fame piss up .So many class bars we went into. Met so many Toon fans all owa, singing, dancing, great banter. Pulled some local lass before the game, was on cloud 9.

We played well, deserved 3-1 win, atmosphere was fantastic in the ground. Ended up drinking with loads of Zulte Waregem fans after the match. Wouldn't let us buy a drink, they were spot on. Dancing and singing all night.

Me and my pal had a rough hour around 2am, struggling big-time, but pulled it together, and managed to get a taxi back to the train station. Our train back to Brussels was at 5am, so found a bar open, for another beer.

Got offered heroin off a well sketchy guy, we politely declined. Just before we got on train, meet some Coppers in the station, they said barely any arrests, Toon fans were well behaved and spent a fortune, and we were welcome back any time.

Got the Eurostar back around 8am, the odd Toon fan on there, but a lot of business people ganning to work. Me and my pal finished off with 4 more cans, and loads pastries. He was staying in London, I had a megabus home at midday. Biggest mistake of my life, forgetting to pick up water for that delayed 6 hour trip. Screaming babies reet next to me for the full journey, and nee water. It was top 2 worst experiences of my life.

Tremendous trip though.

Great that like, love stories like this. Long for the days of Europe again. Only ever managed to do that Bruges away trip which was tremendous, I think a load of folk from on here went over too.

When we qualified under Roeder I think it was taken for granted somewhat. I dont think many would have thought we'd only qualify once more. The Palermo victory under Roeder was great. Injuries forcing im to start Krul and Luque up top on his own, while they were near the top of Serie A iirc. What a result.

Of my best Toon experiences was under Roeder. Just turned 22. Absolutely full of zest. Got a megabus to London.

Eurostar to Brussels. Arrived at 10pm, nee hotel booked, had 350 Euros in my pocket. Was a bit sketchy around the train station, and thought: "why didn't I book a hotel?"

Was getting a dash worried, and walking around and finding way too expensive. Finally found a snide place for 35 Euros. Very basic, TV didn't work, but it was clean, and got plenty of sleep before the next day. Met me pal next morning around the Eurostar around 9am, and off we went to Gent to play Zulte Waregem.

From my memory we were playing in Gent, as Zulte Waregem stadium wasn't up to standard for European football. Absolutely incredible day. We got there for Midday and it was a hall of fame piss up .So many class bars we went into. Met so many Toon fans all owa, singing, dancing, great banter. Pulled some local lass before the game, was on cloud 9.

We played well, deserved 3-1 win, atmosphere was fantastic in the ground. Ended up drinking with loads of Zulte Waregem fans after the match. Wouldn't let us buy a drink, they were spot on. Dancing and singing all night.

Me and my pal had a rough hour around 2am, struggling big-time, but pulled it together, and managed to get a taxi back to the train station. Our train back to Brussels was at 5am, so found a bar open, for another beer.

Got offered heroin off a well sketchy guy, we politely declined. Just before we got on train, meet some Coppers in the station, they said barely any arrests, Toon fans were well behaved and spent a fortune, and we were welcome back any time.

Got the Eurostar back around 8am, the odd Toon fan on there, but a lot of business people ganning to work. Me and my pal finished off with 4 more cans, and loads pastries. He was staying in London, I had a megabus home at midday. Biggest mistake of my life, forgetting to pick up water for that delayed 6 hour trip. Screaming babies reet next to me for the full journey, and nee water. It was top 2 worst experiences of my life.

Tremendous trip though.

Haha

I had a similar experience at Brussels railway station during Euro2000.

Went to our game in Charleroi (Romania, lost. Think Shearer scored a pen then Phil Neville hacked someone down in the box late on and they scored a pen to beat us)

Anyway, like Samp, we hadn’t booked anywhere to stay so we ended up back at Brussels railway station and a load of us fans got locked in the Eurolines coach office overnight by nazi-looking Police with Alsatians so we had somewhere to kip.

It was mayhem outside, sketchy looking people hammering on the glass at us and I promise you, there were people emerging from drains/ manholes and shit outside. Was nuts.

Tremendous trip though.

Haha

I had a similar experience at Brussels railway station during Euro2000.

Went to our game in Charleroi (Romania, lost. Think Shearer scored a pen then Phil Neville hacked someone down in the box late on and they scored a pen to beat us)

Anyway, like Samp, we hadn’t booked anywhere to stay so we ended up back at Brussels railway station and a load of us fans got locked in the Eurolines coach office overnight by nazi-looking Police with Alsatians so we had somewhere to kip.

It was mayhem outside, sketchy looking people hammering on the glass at us and I promise you, there were people emerging from drains/ manholes and shit outside. Was nuts.

Haha sounds intense. Cant believe I didn't book somewhere.

Guest chicken little
Charleroi

easily one of the bleakest places i've ever been in me life, makes peterlee look like fucking xanadu.

My first, and so far only, European trip was under Glenn Roeder when we played Ventspils in Riga in the UEFA Cup. I'm not sure if I'd ever even been to an away game at all by that time so may well have been my first away match.

Anyway, I was a bit young and naive then but was taken under the wing of a couple of guys I met in a bar in the city, one was known as Haz or Hadz or something, can't remember too much but I remember he said he was a postman from Scotswood and he took the piss out of me because I'm from Ashington and reckoned we still use tin baths in front of the fire (as if we'd have such luxury). Must be pretty nice glass houses they have over there in Scotswood - obviously I didn't say that to his face!

I can't remember too much of the game because it was the equivalent of 30p a pint (not sure how many Latvian Lats that was) and I'm not really much of a big drinker but at those prices and the encouragement of my new found friends, I became a bit of a big drinker. Titus scored from a corner right in front of us and N'Zogbia seemed to confirm the size of his considerably large erm... personality.

There were post match celebrations and I had a couple of hours sleep before my flight home but I broke a golden rule of being abroad. I was in between drunk and hungover but fairly sure I was dehydrated and dying so just stuck my head under the tap in the bathroom and drank all the water I could. Felt alright again.

Spent the next couple of days back home shitting through the eye of a needle.

RIP Glenn.

My first, and so far only, European trip was under Glenn Roeder when we played Ventspils in Riga in the UEFA Cup. I'm not sure if I'd ever even been to an away game at all by that time so may well have been my first away match.

Anyway, I was a bit young and naive then but was taken under the wing of a couple of guys I met in a bar in the city, one was known as Haz or Hadz or something, can't remember too much but I remember he said he was a postman from Scotswood and he took the piss out of me because I'm from Ashington and reckoned we still use tin baths in front of the fire (as if we'd have such luxury). Must be pretty nice glass houses they have over there in Scotswood - obviously I didn't say that to his face!

I can't remember too much of the game because it was the equivalent of 30p a pint (not sure how many Latvian Lats that was) and I'm not really much of a big drinker but at those prices and the encouragement of my new found friends, I became a bit of a big drinker. Titus scored from a corner right in front of us and N'Zogbia seemed to confirm the size of his considerably large erm... personality.

There were post match celebrations and I had a couple of hours sleep before my flight home but I broke a golden rule of being abroad. I was in between drunk and hungover but fairly sure I was dehydrated and dying so just stuck my head under the tap in the bathroom and drank all the water I could. Felt alright again.

Spent the next couple of days back home shitting through the eye of a needle.

RIP Glenn.

Love this, class story.  :lol:

That spell after Souness left was phenomenal and while the following season was disappointing, I still had some great memories of Europe and other times that season, especially as it’s when I started going to away games. Always seemed like a very good bloke and it’s clear he was highly respected across football communities. Very sad news.

Looked up the 06-07 table and didn't realise we were only 5 points clear of 18th. Not good, but by the same token he wasn't exactly brilliantly supported (all his early transfer targets like Kuyt, Gravesen, Sol Campbell went to other clubs; we ended up with Duff who we didn't even need and gambled on a crocked Olivier Benard return/Rossi loan on deadline day) plus he had all those injuries during the season. His caretaker spell and the Uefa run the following season does put him up above most of the offerings by the majority of the managerial dross that followed him.

Seems like a brilliant guy and will be sadly missed.

Yeah having to replace Shearer can’t have been easy also and when in Europe you always have the challenges of injuries. Deserves huge amount of credit for his caretaker spell alone (amazing to think we got into Europe from being relegation-threatened), but sounds like he was an excellent all-round servant also from what I hear. Some great tributes to the man going round.

He also lost Owen with the World Cup injury for his second season (and didn't have him for caretaker spell either). Think he got him for two brief appearances in total.

I went to Lillestrom and Ventspils way under Roeder. Tbh have pretty shit memories of Ventspils match as during the very boring match some guy got on his soapbox and tried to turn it into a BNP rally - this being the weekend of flight disruption due to the 'liquid bomb' plot - think it was better you were pissed up number37! Lillestrom was an easy day amidst the Shola glory days, and renewed hope that Luque would come good. Sunny day full of Norweigan Newcastle fans. Remember 'Albert Luque, hot dog, jumping frog' to that 'alberquerque' song getting an airing - and never hearing it again. There was also 'Pattison's got a ginger perm'.

Wasn't at Palermo but sticks in my mind - seem to remember Palermo were top of Serie A at the time too.

Like Samptime, that Zulte Waragem trip was possibly my best ever. Better than trips to the more illustrious places we've played in. We'd booked all our travel, hotel then couldn't get match tickets. I'd heard there was plenty available in the home end if you could get hold of one. Somehow got in touch with, of all people a Belgian Villa fan who offered to get a couple and meet us there. At work the day before travelling someone came in and said it had been on the news that any ticketless toon fans would be turned back. Panic ensued but we thought it's all paid for so we'd take our chances. After a few pints ijn the head of steam, likewisewe boarded the overnight Megabus to London before Eurostar. The adrenaline was pumping as we rolled into Brussels. Mean looking police awaited but they simply handed out 'Welcome to Belgium' leaflets with dos and don'ts and we breathed easy. After a day on the drink we went to meet our ticket man, nervous again that he might not turn up. Thankfully he did and we paid him in cash + numerous grateful pints. Enjoyed the game peacefully from the home end before meeting our Belgian contact again. Took us to a street called Ooverport street and for a Thursday it was as busy as the Toon on a Sat. Fantastic! More beer the day after then back to London. We'd shelled out for the train as opposed to Megabus to get home so we'd need cans. Went to the Sainsbury's?, the one opposite Miller's pub at Kings cross and got a case of 24 thinking better too many than too few. Power lines blew down and we were on there hours but couldn't care less as we had a plentiful can supply. The 'civilians' on the train were fuming at the delay and moaned at every apology the driver made while we were like 'that's ok, take your time'. Cheers for that experience alone Glenn. What a bloke and what a trip.

Class story mate. Real shame how that European run ended. 4-1 up at home to AZ and gan oot on away goals. Painful.

over the years, we've never been a team to protect a lead and grind a result out.

Class story mate. Real shame how that European run ended. 4-1 up at home to AZ and gan oot on away goals. Painful.

over the years, we've never been a team to protect a lead and grind a result out.

That's true tbf.

That's true tbf.

and its cost us time and time again.

Can anyone post this please?

Pretty much any Times article can be read by adding an extra / at the end of the URL, so the article URL of https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/glenn-roeder-personified-the-dignity-that-football-is-in-danger-of-losing-gxhh3sm9x becomes https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/glenn-roeder-personified-the-dignity-that-football-is-in-danger-of-losing-gxhh3sm9x/ and you should be able to read it in full.