Glenn Roeder (1955 - 2021)

Guest neesy111

That's proper choked me up. Seemed a lovely guy, actually seemed like maybe too nice to be a manager. I'm too young to remember him as a player, but that spell in 2006 when he took over was one of the best times for me as a fan. The mackem 4-1  and Shearer record breaking goal under his management will always be very special moments.

That's proper choked me up. Seemed a lovely guy, actually seemed like maybe too nice to be a manager. I'm too young to remember him as a player, but that spell in 2006 when he took over was one of the best times for me as a fan. The mackem 4-1  and Shearer record breaking goal under his management will always be very special moments.

Yeah, the post-Souness detox was extremely cathartic and that was an especially great little run. Twatting the Mackems, Shearer's record and the testimonial, Nobby's double against Everton, Shola looking like he'd finally clicked, a really satisfying win at home to Spurs... it was a tidy little spell. Too good in a way, cos Roeder was out of his depth the moment he got the job permanently imo - but a smashing bloke and an excellent servant all told.

Very sad news that he's passed away; 65 is no age.

EvVF6u-XMAgC-PJ?format=jpg&name=medium

Think that shows how respected and liked he was in the game. Always came across as an affable bloke and even though his managerial spell didn’t work out as planned the fans always had time for him and wished him well.

RIP Glenn, Intertoto Cup Winner 2006.

My main memory of our season under Glenn Roeder was our UEFA cup quarter final against AZ Alkmaar. 3-0 up after half an hour of the first leg absolutely tearing them apart yet still ended up going out on away goals. Could easily have won UEFA cup that year. He also done the honourable thing of resigning at the end of the season, something our current manager could learn from

Edit - Just browsed the 2006/07 uefa cup on Wikipedia and it was last 16 not quarter finals

Guest neesy111

My main memory of our season under Glenn Roeder was our UEFA cup quarter final against AZ Alkmaar. 3-0 up after half an hour of the first leg absolutely tearing them apart yet still ended up going out on away goals. Could easily have won UEFA cup that year. He also done the honourable thing of resigning at the end of the season, something our current manager could learn from

Steven Taylor giving away an absolutely stupid pen set us back in that home game.

Guest neesy111

Great caretaker manager for us but never should've got the job full time imo.

Know he was a great servant for us as a player.

Always conducted himself very well on the touchline.