Glenn Roeder (1955 - 2021)

Guest neesy111

Ah that’s really sad news. Had no idea he was in bad health. Suppose explains why he hadn’t managed full time in so long. In fairness, his cv was good enough that I’m sure he would have had another crack in the PL if he’d been able

RIP 😔

Very sad news. Always liked Glenn and he was a great servant of the club. Crazy to think how long ago it is since he managed us too.

Feels like a lifetime ago. Might as well be a different club given the changes since.

Taking over from Souness when we were 5th or 6th bottom and going on that run to qualify for Europe was probably the last good times I had as a Newcastle fan. Anything since then 5th, promotion, Rafa always had the sword of damocles in Ashley hanging over it to sabotage things so never felt at ease.

So many thanks for that.

Thanks to reefatoon on a previous page for that Watford memory too.

As others who were around in those days have already said, he was a cultured defender when there wasn't many of them about in the English game. Also more than just steadied the ship as our manager after the disastrous Souness era.

RIP Glenn, a great servant to the club and a genuinely good man.

:( sad news, RIP.

That half season he was caretaker manager is the last time I can remember properly enjoying watching NUFC. Title form and some memorable results, after the misery of Souness. A dignified and honourable bloke in a profession where many aren't.

Although Roeder's second season was poor I've actually looked upon it with some fondness recently. It was the last pre-Ashley season, so the club still felt like it had a soul, and being mediocre felt like something we could get out of, rather than destined to be stuck in. Also our being shit then didn't really include a serious relegation threat. The season also had a couple of good memories - I remember a great day out at Blackburn, the Spurs away match and there was the fun of a European run. Not saying it was good enough, and tend to agree he should've stopped after being caretaker, but would take that over these souless days any day.

And like I said, loads of good memories in Feb-May run the year before, such a good run. Hard to believe it was the same season as the misery that surrounded the club when Souness got sacked.

His record that season was:

WWDWWLLLWWWWWWDW

Ah man. What a horrible shame. Have some fond memories of him as manager. Especially that European campaign after we won the inter toto and won the group. Remember going out to Alkmaar too. Cant remember which game it was but I remember Oba wining one for us near the end and I went ballistic.

Was a lovely guy by all accounts. Such a shame he struggled for so long, really.