Glenn Roeder (1955 - 2021)

Guest neesy111

Lots of nice tributes in here. Glenn wasn't born a Geordie but "became" one. He represented our club with distinction and integrity as a player and manager and always maintained an air of dignity and professionalism, more so than some who are actually from the area. You could tell he was always very proud to be associated with NUFC.

RIP Glenn.

That spell after Souness left was phenomenal and while the following season was disappointing, I still had some great memories of Europe and other times that season, especially as it’s when I started going to away games. Always seemed like a very good bloke and it’s clear he was highly respected across football communities. Very sad news.

That spell after Souness left was phenomenal and while the following season was disappointing, I still had some great memories of Europe and other times that season, especially as it’s when I started going to away games. Always seemed like a very good bloke and it’s clear he was highly respected across football communities. Very sad news.

Looked up the 06-07 table and didn't realise we were only 5 points clear of 18th. Not good, but by the same token he wasn't exactly brilliantly supported (all his early transfer targets like Kuyt, Gravesen, Sol Campbell went to other clubs; we ended up with Duff who we didn't even need and gambled on a crocked Olivier Benard return/Rossi loan on deadline day) plus he had all those injuries during the season. His caretaker spell and the Uefa run the following season does put him up above most of the offerings by the majority of the managerial dross that followed him.

Seems like a brilliant guy and will be sadly missed.

Went to the Sheffield United defeat at home and AZ in the UEFA Cup that season. I remember being absolutely terrified at the former, was 5 going on 6 year old and the atmosphere was poisonous. Read up more about it and it tended to be towards Shepherd more than Roeder. Either way, what a run he took us on in the backend of the 05/06 post Souness. A seemingly fantastic man who'll be very sorely missed.

In hindsight he was probably behind our best ever youth output with players he had in the academy moving into the first team (or playing significantly more) when he was manager.

Krul, Taylor, N’Zogbia, Ramage, Edgar, Huntington were all young players he developed that went on to have a decent professional career.

Hardly groundbreaking but it was the best we have managed for decades.

I think that was the biggest mistake of not replacing him as caretaker in the end as he would have been a greater asset in our academy.

Looked up the 06-07 table and didn't realise we were only 5 points clear of 18th. Not good, but by the same token he wasn't exactly brilliantly supported (all his early transfer targets like Kuyt, Gravesen, Sol Campbell went to other clubs; we ended up with Duff who we didn't even need and gambled on a crocked Olivier Benard return/Rossi loan on deadline day) plus he had all those injuries during the season. His caretaker spell and the Uefa run the following season does put him up above most of the offerings by the majority of the managerial dross that followed him.

Yeah having to replace Shearer can’t have been easy also and when in Europe you always have the challenges of injuries. Deserves huge amount of credit for his caretaker spell alone (amazing to think we got into Europe from being relegation-threatened), but sounds like he was an excellent all-round servant also from what I hear. Some great tributes to the man going round.

In hindsight he was probably behind our best ever youth output with players he had in the academy moving into the first team (or playing significantly more) when he was manager.

Krul, Taylor, N’Zogbia, Ramage, Edgar, Huntington were all young players he developed that went on to have a decent professional career.

Hardly groundbreaking but it was the best we have managed for decades.

I think that was the biggest mistake of not replacing him as caretaker in the end as he would have been a greater asset in our academy.

Read somewhere he gave Krul and Carrol their senior debuts.

Yeah having to replace Shearer can’t have been easy also and when in Europe you always have the challenges of injuries. Deserves huge amount of credit for his caretaker spell alone (amazing to think we got into Europe from being relegation-threatened), but sounds like he was an excellent all-round servant also from what I hear. Some great tributes to the man going round.

Aye. Having no Shearer, no budget, targets going elsewhere plus playing in Europe would have made most managers walk out mid season. He got on with it and we did stay up in the end.

Compare that to the w***** c*** we have now who even whines when the club canteen is closed down.

Of my best Toon experiences was under Roeder. Just turned 22. Absolutely full of zest. Got a megabus to London.

Eurostar to Brussels. Arrived at 10pm, nee hotel booked, had 350 Euros in my pocket. Was a bit sketchy around the train station, and thought: "why didn't I book a hotel?"

Was getting a dash worried, and walking around and finding way too expensive. Finally found a snide place for 35 Euros. Very basic, TV didn't work, but it was clean, and got plenty of sleep before the next day. Met me pal next morning around the Eurostar around 9am, and off we went to Gent to play Zulte Waregem.

From my memory we were playing in Gent, as Zulte Waregem stadium wasn't up to standard for European football. Absolutely incredible day. We got there for Midday and it was a hall of fame piss up .So many class bars we went into. Met so many Toon fans all owa, singing, dancing, great banter. Pulled some local lass before the game, was on cloud 9.

We played well, deserved 3-1 win, atmosphere was fantastic in the ground. Ended up drinking with loads of Zulte Waregem fans after the match. Wouldn't let us buy a drink, they were spot on. Dancing and singing all night.

Me and my pal had a rough hour around 2am, struggling big-time, but pulled it together, and managed to get a taxi back to the train station. Our train back to Brussels was at 5am, so found a bar open, for another beer.

Got offered heroin off a well sketchy guy, we politely declined. Just before we got on train, meet some Coppers in the station, they said barely any arrests, Toon fans were well behaved and spent a fortune, and we were welcome back any time.

Got the Eurostar back around 8am, the odd Toon fan on there, but a lot of business people ganning to work. Me and my pal finished off with 4 more cans, and loads pastries. He was staying in London, I had a megabus home at midday. Biggest mistake of my life, forgetting to pick up water for that delayed 6 hour trip. Screaming babies reet next to me for the full journey, and nee water. It was top 2 worst experiences of my life.

Tremendous trip though.

Of my best Toon experiences was under Roeder. Just turned 22. Absolutely full of zest. Got a megabus to London.

Eurostar to Brussels. Arrived at 10pm, nee hotel booked, had 350 Euros in my pocket. Was a bit sketchy around the train station, and thought: "why didn't I book a hotel?"

Was getting a dash worried, and walking around and finding way too expensive. Finally found a snide place for 35 Euros. Very basic, TV didn't work, but it was clean, and got plenty of sleep before the next day. Met me pal next morning around the Eurostar around 9am, and off we went to Gent to play Zulte Waregem.

From my memory we were playing in Gent, as Zulte Waregem stadium wasn't up to standard for European football. Absolutely incredible day. We got there for Midday and it was a hall of fame piss up .So many class bars we went into. Met so many Toon fans all owa, singing, dancing, great banter. Pulled some local lass before the game, was on cloud 9.

We played well, deserved 3-1 win, atmosphere was fantastic in the ground. Ended up drinking with loads of Zulte Waregem fans after the match. Wouldn't let us buy a drink, they were spot on. Dancing and singing all night.

Me and my pal had a rough hour around 2am, struggling big-time, but pulled it together, and managed to get a taxi back to the train station. Our train back to Brussels was at 5am, so found a bar open, for another beer.

Got offered heroin off a well sketchy guy, we politely declined. Just before we got on train, meet some Coppers in the station, they said barely any arrests, Toon fans were well behaved and spent a fortune, and we were welcome back any time.

Got the Eurostar back around 8am, the odd Toon fan on there, but a lot of business people ganning to work. Me and my pal finished off with 4 more cans, and loads pastries. He was staying in London, I had a megabus home at midday. Biggest mistake of my life, forgetting to pick up water for that delayed 6 hour trip. Screaming babies reet next to me for the full journey, and nee water. It was top 2 worst experiences of my life.

Tremendous trip though.

Great to hear stuff like this.  A good shortened review of your trip.  I'm just a little puzzled, what does sketchy mean?  I can guess like.  :D

Tremendous trip though.

Great to hear stuff like this.  A good shortened review of your trip.  I'm just a little puzzled, what does sketchy mean?  I can guess like.  :D

Dodgy, snide, sneaky, creepy.

Guest neesy111

Thank God we're not in Europe any more.

Have you ever been on a European trip watching Toon before?

He's referencing A. Pardew.

Thank God we're not in Europe any more.

Have you ever been on a European trip watching Toon before?

He's referencing A. Pardew.

Yeah. Samptime your post was a great read.