Glenn Roeder (1955 - 2021)

Guest neesy111

As poor as we were in the league in his full season in charge, I remember that season very well. Close European home wins against Fenerbahce and Celta Vigo with Super Sib getting on the scoresheet!

I also remember us winning 3-2 at Spurs with Oba Martins riffling one into the very top corner.

We felt like a proper club back then.

Great caretaker manager for us but never should've got the job full time imo.

Know he was a great servant for us as a player.

Always conducted himself very well on the touchline.

Took over as caretaker saying he didn't want it permanently and I'm not entirely sure he ever did. He did a good job and it seemed like Shepherd felt he had to offer it - or saw it as the easy option. If it wasn't offered I don't think he'd have kicked up a stink and I can't blame him for accepting.

Guest neesy111

As poor as we were in the league in his full season in charge, I remember that season very well. Close European home wins against Fenerbahce and Celta Vigo with Super Sib getting on the scoresheet!

I also remember us winning 3-2 at Spurs with Oba Martins riffling one into the very top corner.

We felt like a proper club back then.

Mind I was at a home replay to Birmingham where was lost 5-1 to a Steve Bruce team in a division below us.

Captain when I started going, don't know whether that makes it more profound or not but feels like it ought to.

Technically the last manager Newcastle United as a football club ever had.

Was too good a person to be associated with what it became there after.

Wretched news but a very proud legacy here. Got the club and cared or had the class to take the time to try, unlike some.

RIP

Guest neesy111

Didn't he also spank us in his first game - or one of his first games - as West Ham manager?

Aye 3-0.  Remember that cunt Don Hutchinson scoring.

I can remember him as a genuine ball-playing centre back who could easily have acted as a sweeper, which was the fashion in Europe around that time.

It didn't work out for him as a manager, but the club was going through a difficult time. (no change there)

Actually, I first saw him playing for the England B team against New Zealand, at Leyton Orient's ground. He stood out then as a class player.

Guest reefatoon

I remember after he left us as a player and went to Watford, his first game back at St James’ when the players came running out, (he was captain for Watford) and he came running out towards the gallowgate like he had done all those years for us, then realised took a huge swerve and ran the other way. 😂 what a legend.