Do you plan to return to St. James Park when allowed?

astraguy

Do you plan to return to SJP when allowed?   

144 members have voted

1. 1. Do you plan to return to SJP when allowed?

• Yes
    • No

Yeah, I think the perpetuation of the elitist agenda and 'big six' culture has probably desensitised a significant percentage of fans in this country; I imagine there's a great many fans of established, previously successful clubs whose idea of a successful season has changed quite dramatically over the last twenty years.

However, in the case of last night, I think it's simply more a case of people's desire to attend an isolated event outweighing any broader principles they might have about resisting/protesting. For some, that ratio will have been really tight and there might be some mitigating factor; for others, they won't have given a shiny shite about the bigger picture or have any care about indirectly contributing to the club's malaise.

There is another category of match-goer, ie those for whom it's essentially a necessity to go for health/well-being reasons or similar, who you obviously can't begrudge at all. 

Reading this back it comes across quite holier than thou and maybe it is; and I'm also aware of my hypocrisy because I went five times during the Rafa years (duped into thinking we could maybe turn a corner). But I do feel bitter towards a lot of today's matchgoers. There are people who've sacrificed something that is so dear to them in the hope it might prompt a change, but it's been obstructed by replacements who don't share the same principles. That rankles. It's an impossible battle really, pointless even getting annoyed about it now (he said, annoyed). 

1 hour ago, Yorkie said:

Yeah, I think the perpetuation of the elitist agenda and 'big six' culture has probably desensitised a significant percentage of fans in this country; I imagine there's a great many fans of established, previously successful clubs whose idea of a successful season has changed quite dramatically over the last twenty years.

However, in the case of last night, I think it's simply more a case of people's desire to attend an isolated event outweighing any broader principles they might have about resisting/protesting. For some, that ratio will have been really tight and there might be some mitigating factor; for others, they won't have given a shiny shite about the bigger picture or have any care about indirectly contributing to the club's malaise.

There is another category of match-goer, ie those for whom it's essentially a necessity to go for health/well-being reasons or similar, who you obviously can't begrudge at all. 

Reading this back it comes across quite holier than thou and maybe it is; and I'm also aware of my hypocrisy because I went five times during the Rafa years (duped into thinking we could maybe turn a corner). But I do feel bitter towards a lot of today's matchgoers. There are people who've sacrificed something that is so dear to them in the hope it might prompt a change, but it's been obstructed by replacements who don't share the same principles. That rankles. It's an impossible battle really, pointless even getting annoyed about it now (he said, annoyed). 

I'm not having the "health and well being" excuse like.

Everyone could say that.

I'd like to go back to St James' but you have to make some sort of sacrifice for the greater good, and stand by your convictions.

There are plenty of other things you can do for well being besides going to a football match.

Edited by ToonArmy1892

I'm talking about a pretty small percentage here. I'm not going to stereotype because I don't know the individuals and I'm making assumptions in any case; but there will be some, I'm sure, for whom going to the game is a fundamental part of their routine, and being denied it will have had had a profound impact on their health and well-being. 

8 minutes ago, Yorkie said:

I'm talking about a pretty small percentage here. I'm not going to stereotype because I don't know the individuals and I'm making assumptions in any case; but there will be some, I'm sure, for whom going to the game is a fundamental part of their routine, and being denied it will have had had a profound impact on their health and well-being. 

Nah, you cant be relying on going to a match for your well being man.

It's just a bonus (when we didn't have Mike Ashley).

Edited by ToonArmy1892

I don't agree. There'll be a small percentage who need the match in a very different sense to the stereotypical "night away from the wife" brigade who 'need' the match. 

Going to the match is class and a massive part of people’s lives. That’s a fact, it’s what makes football fans so easy for people like Mike Ashley to exploit.

I find it difficult to hate the average fan just for wanting to go and watch their team. It’s a bit like politics, most people aren’t engaged in the debate to a detailed level and so they can’t really be expected to care that much. 

10 minutes ago, Yorkie said:

I don't agree. There'll be a small percentage who need the match in a very different sense to the stereotypical "night away from the wife" brigade who 'need' the match. 

I know what you mean, but you still can't be reliant on a football match.

But this was one game that could of changed us forever, imagine noone wanting to step into the ground again because of Ashley and Bruce boy oh boy

All you've done is prove Ashley right,he can do whatever he likes at whatever cost and you'll run back! That's why he brought us 

Edited by astraguy

11 minutes ago, astraguy said:

But this was one game that could of changed us forever, imagine noone wanting to step into the ground again because of Ashley and Bruce boy oh boy 

Aye, we have had opportunities to make massive statements, walkout, boycoutt etc but we have too many fans who don't care enough to do it.

It's sad, 20 years ago i thought we had a great fan base, not now.

Edited by ToonArmy1892

You could actually see it starting to change even at away games.

I started going away regularly about 2000 till about 2006, 2000 to 2004 our fans were incredible in terms of pure support for the team, it was all about NUFC, yes the odd jibe to the home fans here and there, but it was all about Newcastle.

After that it just seemed to start eroding (i know we started getting worse as a team) but that's when the whole shoes off if you love the toon cringe stuff started happening, and it seemed that more and more of the away support were there just to be daft, be a nuisance and wind up the home fans, they didn't even seem to care about NUFC or what was going on on the pitch.

It was more about 'the day out' than Newcastle United, and that's what we are seeing now.

24 minutes ago, ToonArmy1892 said:

I know what you mean, but you still can't be reliant on a football match.

It's going to be quite a deep debate if we start discussing what does and doesn't make a good life. If you find the match a big part of that, I don't see who's in a position to say it's wrong.

13 minutes ago, AyeDubbleYoo said:

It's going to be quite a deep debate if we start discussing what does and doesn't make a good life. If you find the match a big part of that, I don't see who's in a position to say it's wrong.

It doesn't have to be a deep debate, i'm finished debating it.

20 minutes ago, ToonArmy1892 said:

You could actually see it starting to change even at away games.

I started going away regularly about 2000 till about 2006, 2000 to 2004 our fans were incredible in terms of pure support for the team, it was all about NUFC, yes the odd jibe to the home fans here and there, but it was all about Newcastle.

After that it just seemed to start eroding (i know we started getting worse as a team) but that's when the whole shoes off if you love the toon cringe stuff started happening, and it seemed that more and more of the away support were there just to be daft, be a nuisance and wind up the home fans, they didn't even seem to care about NUFC or what was going on on the pitch.

It was more about 'the day out' than Newcastle United, and that's what we are seeing now.

Away fans have been better than our home fans the last few years tbh.

6 minutes ago, Lazarus said:

Sure, but it's not what it used to be, i've heard people saying similar about the away fans not being as good.

Us being shit is a big factor like, admittedly.

1 minute ago, Lazarus said:

This has always been the case. Although 95% of away fans are ST holders so also unfortunately scum.

It's an absolute minefield keeping up to date with guidance on how best to follow NUFC. 

2 minutes ago, Disco said:

Assume they are knackers until proven otherwise is my failsafe guidance.

I do that when driving too.

Wor lass isnt so keen as she drives everywhere on 2 wheels mostly :lol:

Ultimately it’s Ashley who has exploited this and getting at other fans is futile for all I believe when dealing with Ashley requires different thinking. His currency is £ and as long as he gets them he’s being supported. You wouldn’t pay money to a charity and then not claim you are supporting them but the semantics of fandom are perhaps more complex than that. After this year I don’t really blame people and having been through issues myself I’m not as quick to judge.

Rafa's departure was the straw that broke the camels back for me. That was the day when he stopped pretending we were a football club and he confirmed that he's only interested in making up the numbers.

Appointing a man like Steve Bruce, with zero credibility, to take the reins was rubbing salt in the gaping wounds.

I was there at Fulham away and vowed not to return under Ashley.

As tough as it is not to be able to take my sons and immerse them in the culture/experiences I had as a kid during the KK years, I know I can sleep at night with a clear conscience.

I'm not funding the 17th place mission any longer.

I couldn't attend and support this ownership financially, morally or in any other way.