Takeover Thread - July 1st statement, Staveley letter to Tracey Crouch (and response) in OP

Yorkie

Will the takeover be complete by this summer?  

312 members have voted

1. 1. Will the takeover be complete by this summer?

• Yes
    • No

I’m a bit confused. It’s the Saudis fault the premier league haven’t decided? Despite the Saudis answering all of the questions put to them?

The Saudis have answered everything does not mean satisfactorily, in fact quite clearly they haven't answered satisfactorily as it would have gone through by now if so. Now of course the Saudis are entitled and will believe themselves to be 'fit and proper' but if the premier league weren't worried about the piracy issue (no chance it's anything other than that, it's not about if Saudi arabia are bad or anything, it's that they pirated off a major broadcast partner regardless of the geopolitics). The premier league have clearly been asking about legal assurances of seperation from those mentioned in the WHO report etc etc, and clearly the answers haven't been good enough for the premier league (so far, hopefully last ones were). The idea that the premier league are just taking this long because its just this long a process is a nonsense. The Saudis think they've answered everything doesnt mean they have to the satisfaction of the league.

Personally I am not as positive as a lot, I think the longer it went on the less likely of success especially once it was clear that they were very bothered by the WTO report and considering how long it's been. Fingers crossed I'm wrong.

Out of curiosity.

Would we have seen any movement on companies house if Mauriss bid was genuine?

Does he need to setup a vehicle to purchase club or?

Just throwing things out there, I'm not exactly clued up with it all.

I don't think Mairiss can do much until we have a decision.

I mean that's even we even give his bid any credibility :lol:

But Luke keeps going on about November he heard mauriss was interested yet nothing to suggest he has even made the baby steps into purchasing the club.

I mean it's all bullshit, luke calling out the public shambles of this Saudi bid yet he's touting some nomark with even less credibility and chances of passing the OD test.

I'm sure its been said during past bids, and companies being set up on CH, that the costs to do so are pretty small.

So if he was serious, you could argue it wouldn't hurt to start setting up these 'vehicles' for purchasing the club, given how long this has now dragged on, and the seemingly increasing likelihood that it may fall through.

So he was ready to ride in on his white charger with Luke Edwards in tow, and save us from the Miss Staveley and the arrogant, timewasting Saudi's.

This is probably an incredibly naive interpretation of the situation and how these things work, but surely the lack of leaks throughout the process is a positive sign for the negotiations.

I appreciate that the process is confidential and anyone going outside the process runs the risk of massive penalties (I'm assuming), but surely if the buyers were super pissed off they would be tempted to provide a few interesting nuggets of information to a journo or two to help exert some public pressure on the PL.

This is probably an incredibly naive interpretation of the situation and how these things work, but surely the lack of leaks throughout the process is a positive sign for the negotiations.

I appreciate that the process is confidential and anyone going outside the process runs the risk of massive penalties (I'm assuming), but surely if the buyers were super pissed off they would be tempted to provide a few interesting nuggets of information to a journo or two to help exert some public pressure on the PL.

This is still my take.  The continued silence from Ashley speaks volumes to me that something is still happening.

This is still my take.  The continued silence from Ashley speaks volumes to me that something is still happening.

Well, we know it's still with the PL and they haven't made a decision. So you'd think that means that questions and responses are still ongoing between them and the buyer.

I think the main question is whether they'll accept the (fairly outrageous) behaviour of Saudi towards BeIn as evidence they're tackling piracy, or that they no longer need to tackle piracy since BeIn are no longer legally allowed to operate in Saudi.

Either way it's a pretty bold decision and somebody rich will be incredibly pissed off. If Saudi are promising to bid legally for the rights in future, you could easily argue it's basically bribery. Let's see just how immoral they are, I guess.

Guest godzilla

I appreciate that the process is confidential and anyone going outside the process runs the risk of massive penalties (I'm assuming), but surely if the buyers were super p*ssed off they would be tempted to provide a few interesting nuggets of information to a journo or two to help exert some public pressure on the PL.

Well, we know it's still with the PL and they haven't made a decision. So you'd think that means that questions and responses are still ongoing between them and the buyer.

I think the main question is whether they'll accept the (fairly outrageous) behaviour of Saudi towards BeIn as evidence they're tackling piracy, or that they no longer need to tackle piracy since BeIn are no longer legally allowed to operate in Saudi.

Either way it's a pretty bold decision and somebody rich will be incredibly p*ssed off. If Saudi are promising to bid legally for the rights in future, you could easily argue it's basically bribery. Let's see just how immoral they are, I guess.

They have to go with what's in the D&O test and KSA banning beIN is not part of that. I've heard some say that the PL want/need the takeover and are just making things watertight, I actually think it's the total opposite and the Premier League don't want the takeover. Honestly think this will end up in court.

They have to go with what's in the D&O test and KSA banning beIN is not part of that.

Can it be that black and white though? If it was, wouldn't it be pretty quick to decide? If someone is involved in this takeover and also another company which is violating PL rights, or the intellectual property of another PL rights holder, I could easily see the argument that they're aren't a fit and proper person. Therefore the ban on BeIn could be Saudi's ham-fisted attempt to say 'they aren't allowed to operate, so we aren't violating their rights'.

FWIW I haven't read the test and I don't understand the criteria :lol:

Tackling piracy and allowing BeIN to broadcast are two different things really though. The PL can sell rights to the MENA region, but that doesn't obligate anyone in the MENA region to let BeIN broadcast in their country. Ultimately if BeIN want to broadcast in SA again, they're likely going to have to go through another international court dispute for it.

Guest godzilla

They have to go with what's in the D&O test and KSA banning beIN is not part of that.

Can it be that black and white though? If it was, wouldn't it be pretty quick to decide? If someone is involved in this takeover and also another company which is violating PL rights, or the intellectual property of another PL rights holder, I could easily see the argument that they're aren't a fit and proper person. Therefore the ban on BeIn could be Saudi's ham-fisted attempt to say 'they aren't allowed to operate, so we aren't violating their rights'.

FWIW I haven't read the test and I don't understand the criteria :lol:

It has to be that black and white, it has to go by what is in the test. You can't force anyone to show your product and it is not in the criteria of the test. The holdup is the piracy issue which would violate the PL rights.

Guest godzilla

Tackling piracy and allowing BeIN to broadcast are two different things really though. The PL can sell rights to the MENA region, but that doesn't obligate anyone in the MENA region to let BeIN broadcast in their country. Ultimately if BeIN want to broadcast in SA again, they're likely going to have to go through another international court dispute for it.

Exactly

Guest The Little Waster

Well it's not happening today. Would have been announced first thing imo. Roll on to tomorrow

I've always imagined it being announced at some time during the afternoon, probably about 5 o'clock.

Hallucinate a lot do you ?