Takeover Thread - July 1st statement, Staveley letter to Tracey Crouch (and response) in OP

Yorkie

Will the takeover be complete by this summer?  

312 members have voted

1. 1. Will the takeover be complete by this summer?

• Yes
    • No

This is an absolute mess and wouldn’t be at all surprised if it was a factor in putting off the likes of PIF from coming back in.

Uncertainty basically. Yes they were investing in the club but the club in the top league. You can’t really separate the two.

PIF will definitely be keeping an eye on developments. Unless this is nipped in the bud pretty quickly, there won't be buyers coming in for any of the clubs outside of the big 6. I've always understood why clubs want to keep more of the money they generate, but this top 6 cartel stuff is an absolute joke. It should have been shut down already tbh, they will wreck English football.

Busy in court today...

Pot calling the kettle.

IF there was a European Super League, I'd rather us be in it than left behind playing for a pointless title where Wolves and Leicester are the big boys.

You're acting like we have a choice in the matter, there's no way we'd even be considered for one  :lol:

Certainly not. We'd have no choice. I'm just saying what I'd rather. I see absolutely no appeal in following a team in a league that means nothing, unless we could get promoted to that new top level.

Genuine question...

Why would anyone pay a monthly fee to Sky/BT/Amazon, just to watch other teams most of the time?

I don't, but even if i did I would only watch the Newcastle games, and have no interest in watching a Southampton/West Ham tie, just because it happens to be on. At a push I'd watch a title decider.

If greed could be ignored (I know, i know) then surely a good option would be let people buy 'TV season tickets' for their own teams, but still keep the total broadcast revenue evenly distributed whilst allowing every individual match to be ppv. So say you have the TV season ticket for Newcastle, you pay the given subscription, but if you happen to want to watch Man U v Liverpool or whoever, pay a bit more to get that on top.

Alternatively just don't give clubs any of the direct TV revenue and let them generate cash purely through attendances, sponsorship, and a share of the income generated by the specific viewership of their match (yes i know full well they'd never agree to this!), and that would encourage genuine ambition rather than relying on x millions just for being in the league. This was would have seen Leicester rewarded paid handsomely for the last few games of their title season, and genuinely reward their achievement, which was never fully appreciated because the weren't  'Big 6''. As loathsome as it is, I'd rather let Sky keep all the cash from broadcasting rights just to make some decent TV.

By advertising hundreds of games, £60 per month comes over as a real deal, even if most games aren't watched. 38 games for £60 per month is not a good deal. The added costs of advertising each channel individually, the added commentary teams and pundits.

The 20 clubs currently promote the brands of the PL, FA, and the broadcasters. None of them are going to reverse that relationship.

This is what Sky/BT and the Premier League want you to think, and promote it shamelessly and relentlessly. It's only a good deal if you're interested in watching teams outside of your own...  I'd never even consider paying £60 a month when i might only watch 1 in 10. For me that's a crap deal. For some it might be ok.

Plus having 20 individual channels would do nothing but increasing advertising

Perhaps ditching the current model and making every match ppv might be better....albeit not at £15 a pop. As much as i'd only watch Newcastle on TV I think i'd object to paying £15 to the current team against most of the league

Penn[/member] Do you agree with this?

It's Sean[/member] who's got the Staveley complex.

Penn... Sean.... Edwards.... who knows, More and more convinced they are all the same person.

Nope, Sean actually has an interest in Newcastle United. Penn/Edwards hasn't.

Agreed that they both hate AS though.

Genuine question...

Why would anyone pay a monthly fee to Sky/BT/Amazon, just to watch other teams most of the time?

I don't, but even if i did I would only watch the Newcastle games, and have no interest in watching a Southampton/West Ham tie, just because it happens to be on. At a push I'd watch a title decider.

If greed could be ignored (I know, i know) then surely a good option would be let people buy 'TV season tickets' for their own teams, but still keep the total broadcast revenue evenly distributed whilst allowing every individual match to be ppv. So say you have the TV season ticket for Newcastle, you pay the given subscription, but if you happen to want to watch Man U v Liverpool or whoever, pay a bit more to get that on top.

Alternatively just don't give clubs any of the direct TV revenue and let them generate cash purely through attendances, sponsorship, and a share of the income generated by the specific viewership of their match (yes i know full well they'd never agree to this!), and that would encourage genuine ambition rather than relying on x millions just for being in the league. This was would have seen Leicester rewarded paid handsomely for the last few games of their title season, and genuinely reward their achievement, which was never fully appreciated because the weren't  'Big 6''. As loathsome as it is, I'd rather let Sky keep all the cash from broadcasting rights just to make some decent TV.

By advertising hundreds of games, £60 per month comes over as a real deal, even if most games aren't watched. 38 games for £60 per month is not a good deal. The added costs of advertising each channel individually, the added commentary teams and pundits.

The 20 clubs currently promote the brands of the PL, FA, and the broadcasters. None of them are going to reverse that relationship.

This is what Sky/BT and the Premier League want you to think, and promote it shamelessly and relentlessly. It's only a good deal if you're interested in watching teams outside of your own...  I'd never even consider paying £60 a month when i might only watch 1 in 10. For me that's a crap deal. For some it might be ok.

Perhaps ditching the current model and making every match ppv might be better....albeit not at £15 a pop. As much as i'd only watch Newcastle on TV I think i'd object to paying £15 to the current team against most of the league

I pay for Sky/BT with the top package through Virgin which basically gives you everything. In reality I only really want to watch UFC and our games, I can take or leave the rest. But usually they package it in such a way it's not good value to just buy individual plans. I would say I'm no longer prepared to pay good money to subsidise the big 6, but in reality, they know that Newcastle fans will pay even to watch a shit side. I mean it's only our games I'm interested in for the most part.

IF there was a European Super League, I'd rather us be in it than left behind playing for a pointless title where Wolves and Leicester are the big boys.

You're acting like we have a choice in the matter, there's no way we'd even be considered for one  :lol:

Certainly not. We'd have no choice. I'm just saying what I'd rather. I see absolutely no appeal in following a team in a league that means nothing, unless we could get promoted to that new top level.

I don't get how the domestic league would suddenly mean nothing.  To me this European super league would mean nothing.  Knowing that it's 100% about glitz and glamour to squeeze every last penny out of glory supporters around the world to the absolute detriment of the clubs core support would be a bridge to far for me.  The Premier League is already terrible for it.  But to see a league that takes that to its furthest conclusion would make it pointless to me and I'd have no interest watching NUFC in it even under new owners.

Bit of an update (not much from last time) but the lawyers hired by Ashley now are convinced that if this goes to court there is no way they will lose this case, enough evidence to wipe the floor with the PL.

The only thing that stops this now is time.

Bruce will also be gone if/when the takeover goes through. They don’t like his football at all and they realise that he’s not good enough. IF this gets done in the timeframe they want then there will be as much spending as possible on players regardless of the position of the club in the January window.

For now they have set their sights on competing with Leicester/Everton/Wolves, basically 5th-9th.

Guest reefatoon

Would they pull out now though after being given those kinds of reassurances from the lawyers? Hopefully that kind of promise, makes them go in it for the long haul.

A European Super League looks good on paper (as far as generating money in the short term) but it is not sustainable.  If I'm a big six fan do I really want to watch my team play the same teams (only) year after year?  I'd rather see my club play newly promoted teams and different clubs in the domestic and continental cups.  Variety is the spice of life.

PL stays at 20 teams bottom 3 get relegated, 17th PL plays in playoffs with Champo 4,5,6.

EFL gets 20% of all TV money but keep all of the money from the new EFL cup which would only include tiers 2,3 & 4

There has to be a vehicle to get cash into EFL clubs hands now in combination with UK government.

6/9 proposal goes away.  It's beyond greedy.

Would they pull out now though after being given those kinds of reassurances from the lawyers? Hopefully that kind of promise, makes them go in it for the long haul.

They want it done to make the most of the relaxing of FFP, the longer it goes on the more they realise the club will drop away from that pack that they want to get into nevermind the “top 4/6.”

Genuine question...

I pay for Sky/BT with the top package through Virgin which basically gives you everything. In reality I only really want to watch UFC and our games, I can take or leave the rest. But usually they package it in such a way it's not good value to just buy individual plans. I would say I'm no longer prepared to pay good money to subsidise the big 6, but in reality, they know that Newcastle fans will pay even to watch a shit side. I mean it's only our games I'm interested in for the most part.

£27 a year for every PL game here.  Can't even remember the last time I watched a match we weren't playing in though and have no idea of the current standings except us.